Author Topic: Working on doors, will be a seal issue  (Read 2872 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Working on doors, will be a seal issue
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
Here is a link to Neil's build diary.
Lots of good ideas and a very interesting build. Take some time to read through.
Hope this helps.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134807.html

-Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm building an Aventador. I think it has the most dramatic door angle of all the lambos.  I measured it at 19degrees... (doing that from memory... check my thread to confirm that).  I took an Aventador pic taken from the front with the doors open and stuck it into a basic CAD program.... Easy enough to measure the angle from that.  Protractor works too... if you have one.

One of the key things is to get the hinge as high a possible under the fender. You'll also find yourself fighting to get it out next to the fender.  The one downside of roller bearings is that once you put them at an angle they interfere with the fender somewhat.  The latch mechanism also gets installed at the same angle. Once installed properly the door opens with a single degree of freedom.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
Here is a link to Neil's build diary.
Lots of good ideas and a very interesting build. Take some time to read through.
Hope this helps.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134807.html

-Mike

ardillo lambo

• Liked: 9
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:31:35 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

RT,
The wobble is coming from the hinge....and I think is magnified as you explained

Neils88,
How much of an angle (angle relative to what). Do you have pictures of your hinges? if you want to share PM me please.

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
Check out this guys video, it shows a pretty good example of how to make stable doors.  Not the only way but it's a good example.

https://youtu.be/ruJw5tqPE6I?t=58
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:52:14 PM by nickmkk »

Neils88

• Liked: 135
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 02:41:11 PM »
I made my hinges using roller bearings instead of a simple pin joint. That helped eliminate any movement.

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
 ardillo lambo...
Where is the wobble coming from?
These hinges are very narrow compared to the length of the door.
Consider this, if the hinge is 4 inches wide where it pivots and the door is 4 feet long from hinge to latch, any play in the hinge pin will be magnified 12 times by the time you get to the latch.  1/64" play will be 3/16" at the latch.
Check the play at your hinge pin to be sure it isn't loose.
Also make sure the hinge mount is sturdy.  If that flexes, you will get a lot of wobble.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

diablodoc

• Liked: 28
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »
The door hinge needs to be attached to the frame on an angle.  The hinge mounting point on the frame should be 1/4 inch lower on the outside edge than the inside.  This will tilt your door outward slightly to avoid contact with the seals until the door is fully closed.

ardillo lambo

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »
RT,

I'm working on a Reventon, and yes....I have a steel structure in place for inner skins made out of 1" square tubing. I'm planning working this coming weekend to see if I can get rid off the wobble.

But....What about the opening and closing shifting a little bit outside to avoid issues with the weather stripping seals.

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:27:39 PM »
First things first.
What replica are you working on.  Countach? Diablo? Merci? (?)
These doors have an inner and an outer fiberglass skin.  You need to build a steel frame inside the skins.
This frame will provide a rigid base for the fiberglass and take away the wobble you have.  This will also make a solid point for the door hinges and latch and be tied together.  This frame will also give you a place to mount your window mechanism.
These cars are not just fiberglass.  Doors, trunk and deck lids need interior frames just as much as the body.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

ardillo lambo

Working on doors, will be a seal issue
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »
Cloners,

I got inner side of my doors hinged and latched, still wobbly. Question is....the doors need to open outside a little bit before rotating up when opening or down when closing to avoid issue with the door seals. Any recommendations/words of wisdom to get rid of the wobbliness

Regards