Author Topic: Red Diablo on Ebay for $98k- I’m humbliy begging for your advice,  (Read 4826 times)

CCIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
Re: Red Diablo on Ebay for $98k- I’m humbliy begging for your advice,
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
Why did you get it “towed” to the body shop? It doesn’t drive? What interior & exterior updates are you in the process of doing? Where are you located? Please PM me your number & I’ll try to give you a ring. Thanks.

In the meantime for everyone else; if anyone knows Ron’s yellow car please let me know. I can get him to post picture most likely. Is car is $40,000 less. No, I’m not even slightly considering the $98k car; i wanted feedback thinking that the seller would realize that no one is going to pay anywhere close to that number but he isn’t budging. He’ll have the car forever at that price. I’m not even sure it will sell quickly if he takes $30k off. I spoke to Ron Dolling & he pointed some things out that I appreciate. I am a car guy, but I admittedly am a rookie on replicas despite following them for many years so thanks for your input. If anyone has information on registering the car in Texas it would be fantastic. Thanks again.

More pic

The Diablo runs fine with minor issues. I do not have tags for the car because it sat in my where-house for the past year. It was easier to just get it towed then to go through the hassle of siting at a DMV for 4 hours to get tags and since I am selling it I would rather burn the $65 and get more pleasure then to be forced to hand it over to DMV in another form of taxation (this again this is a whole different conversation).
If you are serious I would prefer that you see the Diablo in person. The car is already titled and registered so title transfer and getting tags should not be an issue. The Diablo also has CATS so getting it registered and tagged in Cali should not be an issue (But you will have to check with your local state for any additional requirements)

Flyer70

• Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
Payton34, I sent you a PM.  I have NAERC roadster replica on NAERC replica chassis I might sell.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
Payton, I do live in Texas and sell these cars worldwide, and can tell you with certainty that registration is no problem at all, so long as you understand the process. Most states have now adapted the SEMA Model Legislation for registering handbuilt cars, including Texas, which was one of the easier states even before this. Go to SEMA.org, click on the Government Affairs box of the ribbon across the top. That will give you a drop down, and toward the bottom of it is "Tag and Title Toolbox, a 50 State Guide". Click on that and it will walk you through the entire process.

I visited the SEMA.org site but it seems like they have changed the web page.  I clicked on the "50-State Guide to Titling & Registration Issues" but was sent to a "401 page not found".  I then clicked on the "Replica Cars" and found their "Description" was: "A replica vehicle is a vehicle that resembles the body of another motor vehicle produced at least 25 years ago"
https://www.sema.org/government-affairs/landing?__utma=95790915.802278031.1542650952.1542651618.1542651618.1&__utmb=95790915.0.10.1542651618&__utmc=95790915&__utmx=-&__utmz=95790915.1542651618.1.1.utmcsr%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmccn%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmcmd%3D%28none%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=30568695

Not much help for my cause unless I claim that my 2001 Diablo resembles a 1993 Diablo.  (that might just work)  Maybe SEMA will update their website and correct their source code. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:46:09 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Payton34

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
Why did you get it “towed” to the body shop? It doesn’t drive? What interior & exterior updates are you in the process of doing? Where are you located? Please PM me your number & I’ll try to give you a ring. Thanks.

In the meantime for everyone else; if anyone knows Ron’s yellow car please let me know. I can get him to post picture most likely. Is car is $40,000 less. No, I’m not even slightly considering the $98k car; i wanted feedback thinking that the seller would realize that no one is going to pay anywhere close to that number but he isn’t budging. He’ll have the car forever at that price. I’m not even sure it will sell quickly if he takes $30k off. I spoke to Ron Dolling & he pointed some things out that I appreciate. I am a car guy, but I admittedly am a rookie on replicas despite following them for many years so thanks for your input. If anyone has information on registering the car in Texas it would be fantastic. Thanks again.

More pic

Payton34

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »

Also, the Sema link doesn’t work when you link on “titling & registration”
If it’s posted somewhere else please let me know,

Payton, I do live in Texas and sell these cars worldwide, and can tell you with certainty that registration is no problem at all, so long as you understand the process. Most states have now adapted the SEMA Model Legislation for registering handbuilt cars, including Texas, which was one of the easier states even before this. Go to SEMA.org, click on the Government Affairs box of the ribbon across the top. That will give you a drop down, and toward the bottom of it is "Tag and Title Toolbox, a 50 State Guide". Click on that and it will walk you through the entire process.

And P.S., you asked for opinions, here is mine. Buy the car from CCIE which is a known quantity from a seller with history, and let the other guy keep dreaming. There are $100,000 replicas, that is NOT one of them. And if you need someone to bring it to Texas for you, I can contract that. I am taking a Countach to Connecticut after Thanksgiving and coming home with an empty trailer. For that matter, if anyone has anything headed East, I am coming home empty.

And another Edit, I thought something looked familiar to me and it has just registered. Walter Peyton #34 drove a racecar with me in several Formula Atlantic races. Can't say enough good about him and his entire family. Most people do not know that he had a life away from football and was an owner of Chicagoland Speedway.

Payton34

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
Yeah, he was searching for things to do once he retired. That’s cool that you met him.

Anyways, I talked to Ron Dolling from Canada today. He has a yellow diablo that he is selling that looks pretty good. Paint is a 7 out of 10, but it looks & sounds solid except the A/C needs to be hooked up. I know he has a solid reputation & has built some exceptional cars. I wish I was closer & am concerned about fitting it it (I’m 6’3”) but I’m looking into that. If anyone has seen the yellow car, please let me know. And thanks to all for your input. Ron spoke to the owner of the car in Miami too & also said he is adamant about not budging on the price $98-95k. I expect him to have the car a year from now. So I’m moving on from that one. I wonder if there is anything I can do to get more leg room. I’ll have to talk to Ron about that. Any other input on any of these topics would be appreciated. Thank you,

And P.S., you asked for opinions, here is mine. Buy the car from CCIE which is a known quantity from a seller with history, and let the other guy keep dreaming. There are $100,000 replicas, that is NOT one of them. And if you need someone to bring it to Texas for you, I can contract that. I am taking a Countach to Connecticut after Thanksgiving and coming home with an empty trailer. For that matter, if anyone has anything headed East, I am coming home empty.

And another Edit, I thought something looked familiar to me and it has just registered. Walter Peyton #34 drove a racecar with me in several Formula Atlantic races. Can't say enough good about him and his entire family. Most people do not know that he had a life away from football and was an owner of Chicagoland Speedway.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:09:43 PM by 76mx »

Payton34

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »
I’m with you 100%; I was just trying to prepare for him to eventually realize that the car is massively overpriced & get a little closer to reality. I completely agree on the yellow frame; it looks terrible ~ my only guess is that maybe at one time they were planning to paint it yellow, but it should be black either way. His reasoning for the price is that he has $125k in it, but I’m sure 100% of people that built these are gonna have way more in the build than they can sell it for. What about the registration issue? The four speed drives me crazy; I wish they would have at least built the gate so it looks like there are six slots. He is going to have to get the A/C working...I’ve had plenty of experience with people saying “all it needs is this or that” ok, well if it only needs to be charged then why isn’t it charged? You are asking the most ridiculous price on earth. The front bonnet looks like a crappy replica. It’s screaming replica with the shifter, yellow frame & advertisement that it’s an LS1. I wonder if a lambo cover could go on this engine & if the glass bonnet could be replaced. Also at that price I would expect the paint to be showroom. The fact that it hasn’t been driven on the highway is course for concern. Being 6’3” I do like that it’s built for taller people, but I assume these cars are already brutal to sell & this one would be signing up for a $40k loss. The interior isn’t bad, but the silver one you sent is definitely more accurate. Are there issues with these Porsche  transmissions mated to a Chevy engine? Does anyone know which kit this one is? What do you realistically think it can sell for ? $60-$65k max? I imagine it being for sale a year from now at that price. I won’t even get into what you can buy for 6 digits, I will Say that it looks good in the photo’s but unfortunately it looks like it’s going to take a considerable amount of time before he realizes that he needs to drop the price $35,000 no matter how much he has in it. Where is the silver one located? Does anyone live in Texas & can tell me if it’s a problem registering these cars?

Thanks

It's hard to give someone advice on purchasing a car like this.  So much depends on the person's ability and willingness to pay.  Personally, (and this is just my opinion), I would never pay $98k for a replica of any kind.  Based on the pictures alone (which is risky) I would think the car would be worth something more in the range of $50-60k.  And for that price I would expect everything to be in perfect working order.  If the A/C only needs refrigerant, then tell him to put some in and prove it works.  The 4-speed tranny is a definite deal breaker for me.  But may not be for some others.  And don't get me started on the seats and center console.  Close, but no cigar.  At least the seller isn't claiming that the car is a perfect replication.  I'll give him kudos for that.  And another thing, for a car priced like this it should not have an unfinished kit car looking front compartment.  Not to mention a yellow frame!  What were they thinking!!  Bottom line, from the pictures it looks like a nice car (with some exceptions) but not worth anything close to the asking price.  My opinion.

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • YOLO
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
There you go (: and that's someone who built his car here and you can trust and is willing to help even after you have the car for way less than half the price.

CCIE

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
More pic

CCIE

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 03:25:57 PM »
Here are some pic.

These 2 pic are from not too long ago when I got the Diablo towed to the body shop for the side marker lights update and few other items

CCIE

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 03:24:52 PM »
If you are truly interested in an accurate running completed Diablo then Check this one out.
http://lamborghinireplica.com/ForSale/for%20sale%20Diablo%2060%20010617.htm

I have it priced for less then half the red one and it's much MUCH more accurate. I am in the process of updating the interior and exterior
Interior Updates
   - Center-console Panel with OEM and exact copy switches,
   - Riceburner (exact copy of the AC controller) setup.
   - More accurate Diablo 60 steering wheel
   - Seats are awesome but getting them more accurate as 60 seats (updates like the knobs, more accurate head rest)
 Exterior Updates
   - Side marker lights with OEM lights
   - 3rd Brake light housing with Carbon Fiber exact copy from OEM (ordered from MMBrazil)
   - Fans in the engine bay (better cooling)
   - Rear wing to be covered in CF
It's at a body shop now getting the side marker lights update,
Send me a PM here with your contact info and we can discuses further
This was IFG's SHOW car that won many awards.

CCIE
PS... I can also include the following items based on the asking price
   - Additional Windshield
   - Additional pair of door glass
   - Additional pair of Quarter glass
   - OEM Lamborghini Diablo 60 tail pipes
   - OEM defroster vents
   - OEM seat covers and steering wheel cover
   - Bunch of other OEM parts that I bought for the car that I cant remember (Boxes)
   - New set of Diablo badges.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:34:14 PM by CCIE »

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • YOLO
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
You know what you can buy for $100K?

Two horses, Alpha Romeo 4C Spider, an SCT Telescope that shows you a mountain on Mars, a VIVE-Pro, and a trip to Fiji.

diablodoc

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
It's hard to give someone advice on purchasing a car like this.  So much depends on the person's ability and willingness to pay.  Personally, (and this is just my opinion), I would never pay $98k for a replica of any kind.  Based on the pictures alone (which is risky) I would think the car would be worth something more in the range of $50-60k.  And for that price I would expect everything to be in perfect working order.  If the A/C only needs refrigerant, then tell him to put some in and prove it works.  The 4-speed tranny is a definite deal breaker for me.  But may not be for some others.  And don't get me started on the seats and center console.  Close, but no cigar.  At least the seller isn't claiming that the car is a perfect replication.  I'll give him kudos for that.  And another thing, for a car priced like this it should not have an unfinished kit car looking front compartment.  Not to mention a yellow frame!  What were they thinking!!  Bottom line, from the pictures it looks like a nice car (with some exceptions) but not worth anything close to the asking price.  My opinion.

Footcutter

• Liked: 142
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 3D car printing
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
I would never pay exotic car prices for a replica.  There is a $40k Diablo on eBay as well, which is still a little high.  With replicas you could be buying a whole lot of problems.  Having a good local mechanic check it out for you is always a good idea.  There are also a lot of very good builders on this site who I am sure will chime in. Good luck.