Author Topic: New Murci member here  (Read 2650 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: New Murci member here
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »
One word advice as you progress through the build...  Break things down into "sub-projects" and then only work on and think about one sub-project at a time. Avoid trying to map out the entire build in your head all at once. There is nothing wrong with an overall game plan, but the build can quickly become overwhelming if you are constantly thinking about everything you still have to do. But if you approach each task as a singular project that has a specific end goal, you'll have positive reinforcement that you are progressing as each goal is reached. Don't fall into the trap of just building the car so you can hurry up and drive it. It's important to enjoy yourself as you build the car. 

mikemurci

• Liked: 2
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »
This may give you some insight http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=2685.0

I was doing exactly this the other day!!! LOL

" Next you begin to look at third brake lights on everything that is in front of you when you are stuck in traffic. You look at the 300ZX that is coming toward you and trying to figure out is the small bulb on when they have the high beams on? You begin to look at taillights and wonder could I mold that in to the body to make something special?"

I am officially a newbie. darn it!!

mikemurci

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
It will likely be much more complicated than you anticipate. You really need to assess the work that has been completed so far. The seller may well understate the amount of work remaining. If they are selling the project, then there is a good chance that they were in over their head (as most builders are). They will attempt to recoup their expenses and will usually overprice the car and overstate the amount of work they have done. Also, what skills did they have? You are assuming that the welds were done properly and safely. Was the fabrication done properly and safely? Are things straight and properly aligned? Were the correct materials used? If possible, I would recommend you finding an experienced car builder in your area to go with you to assess the car before you actually purchase it. You can also post pics of the car here so we can get an idea of the state of the build... though pictures don't tell the full story.

Yes built by a professional garage, in spare time for a friendly owner that owns a real supercar this was a plaything for him.  Yes all undergone 4d wheel alignment and welds are all done properly documented and proof of receipts etc. the reason for sale is personal and taking too long. the garage do not specialize in glassfibre either so will not do that stage of the works.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
Welcome aboard, here you will find many that will help you along when you need it.  Like Neils said, look at Eurospares for the grills and other parts you may need.  Sometimes they have them used and for very reasonable prices, much better than you will get on ebay. 

For window regulators, there are several options.  We have a section here on the site dedicated to that and you should read through it to decide which method you like best.  There are also members here that make the regulators same as the OEM ones.
Pedro

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »
This may give you some insight http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=2685.0

Neils88

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
It will likely be much more complicated than you anticipate. You really need to assess the work that has been completed so far. The seller may well understate the amount of work remaining. If they are selling the project, then there is a good chance that they were in over their head (as most builders are). They will attempt to recoup their expenses and will usually overprice the car and overstate the amount of work they have done. Also, what skills did they have? You are assuming that the welds were done properly and safely. Was the fabrication done properly and safely? Are things straight and properly aligned? Were the correct materials used? If possible, I would recommend you finding an experienced car builder in your area to go with you to assess the car before you actually purchase it. You can also post pics of the car here so we can get an idea of the state of the build... though pictures don't tell the full story.

mikemurci

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 02:50:20 AM »
I agree with the build not being easy, I can tell from the posts and effort everyone does.  What I would like to know if the whole car mechanical part is finished all metal work and electrics, how hard is it to fit panels off and leave interior stock original for now??
so
1> leave stock mr2 interior apart from adaptions necessary to work with new body.
2> Fit panels securely in place and doors
3> Paint and sourcing exterior parts.

Is it true I may need glass headlights?? I will go to IVA test the frame and mechanics is not being built by me but a professional garage with full experience and documenting so I can take for IVA test in UK

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:17:16 AM »
As others have said, this is great group with lots of knowledge to share.
Here is link to a Murci Build diary https://www.facebook.com/Murcielago-replica-build-142322246321325/.
There are also other Murci builders who have shared their progress on https://www.facebook.com/groups/161571067223540/ as well.

Neils88

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
I can imagine I love the aventador . Is there a way to adapt the murci to the Aventador with $50 dollars??  lol I know it costs a lot I wish it was not so expensive.  I have a dream and I will make this work for sure and yes I can imagine so much costs. 
You have given very wise advise. Sadly I never find a finsihed project :(

Mike, just to help you understand what you are getting into, keep in mind that a build will usually take more than 3,000 hours to complete and ultimately cost you more than $50k. (These are conservative numbers... and don't expect a partially built project to reduce these numbers). If you purchase an ongoing project you will also be in a position where you may be finding and repairing another person's mistakes. You will need proficient skills in welding, body work, fabrication, mechanical, electrical, electronics, programming, etc... and all the tools required to achieve those skills. Enthusiasm is critical... but by itself, it won't get you much.

If you do proceed, then this is definitely the place to frequent for advice. The people here are great. But please be honest with yourself!

mikemurci

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 05:49:48 PM »
Welcome.  I also am an Aventador builder extensively using 3D printing to do the entire body.  I am also a cheap bastard, and this is why I went this route.  This is a great group, and you should be able to find folks who have very good advise, I know, I have benefited greatly!

My wife will say I am a cheap bastard too :) I am in the right club :)

Footcutter

• Liked: 142
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 3D car printing
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
Welcome.  I also am an Aventador builder extensively using 3D printing to do the entire body.  I am also a cheap bastard, and this is why I went this route.  This is a great group, and you should be able to find folks who have very good advise, I know, I have benefited greatly!

mikemurci

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 05:26:45 PM »
Hey all just wanted to say Hi. My name is Mike I live in UK and looking at a murci build for my midlife crisis :) . Literallly I am carer for my disabled son and we own a disability van. I want to build my murci and take my son in it that is the dream anyway. SO far it all seems over my head. I am missing parts on a project I am looking at purchasing I have a small deposit down to secure.  I need rear lights, window regulators for the murcielago or cars that may work. rear grills lp640 etc LIST goes on.

Pop round say hi :)

I can imagine I love the aventador . Is there a way to adapt the murci to the Aventador with $50 dollars??  lol I know it costs a lot I wish it was not so expensive.  I have a dream and I will make this work for sure and yes I can imagine so much costs. 
You have given very wise advise. Sadly I never find a finsihed project :(

Neils88

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »
Hi Mike.  Glad to hear from a UK enthusiast. (I'm originally from the UK... then Texas... finally Canada). I think that's great that you are looking to get a project completed for your son. I would caution you to tread lightly with regards to an unfinished project unless you are truly ready for the time and financial commitment involved. Whatever level of effort you envision... multiply that by a thousand and you may be a little closer. I would recommend holding out and looking for a completed project unless you truly know what you are getting into. Most people underestimate the amount of work required, and the necessary skills needed. I don't say this to undermine your enthusiasm, simply to help you avoid the normal mistakes that the majority of people make. Having said that, this is definitely a great place to find the necessary parts. I'd also recommend looking up Eurospares... their website is fantastic for sourcing OEM components (plus it's in the UK). Many OEM components end up being actually quite cheap. I'm an Aventador builder, so I'll leave it at that and hopefully some of the Murci guys will jump in with other specifics. Good luck!

mikemurci

New Murci member here
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »
Hey all just wanted to say Hi. My name is Mike I live in UK and looking at a murci build for my midlife crisis :) . Literallly I am carer for my disabled son and we own a disability van. I want to build my murci and take my son in it that is the dream anyway. SO far it all seems over my head. I am missing parts on a project I am looking at purchasing I have a small deposit down to secure.  I need rear lights, window regulators for the murcielago or cars that may work. rear grills lp640 etc LIST goes on.

Pop round say hi :)