How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

C5 Corvette Steering Knuckle Spindle strength

<< < (2/4) > >>

rodartneva:
Someone.was asking why the shock is mounted to the top arm and it is the way that lamborghini does this. I don't use corvette suspension I have cast spindles like own with the arms and mounts the same. I was not a fa. Of the crossover to the vette suspension and understanding is the arms aren't angles up ward in the naerc setup and the front lower arms actually have a fight angle built into them. If you set them on a flat surface you would know what I'm talking.about. If  get some free time i will upload photos of all of this as I an working on a chassis right. So in the photos you can see that I can fit a magazine under the one side. This is a new factory arm I have a couple of these and they are all the same. The mounts on the chassis also have angle built into them as do the rear. And you can see where the shock mounts on the upper front arm which is twice as heavy as the lower arm.I don't know why people use the vette stuff. For me this is correct and costs less.

MufasaCAT:
I have two ways to do this as i can't prove the strength of the C5 spindle.
1) I can mount the shock on the bottom A arm as OEM. This can be done with a few brackets and moving the Sway bar forward about 100mm.
2) Model the C5 spindle in Solidworks and give it to a poly-tech as a engineering class project which the TAC in New Zealand will look at the results and give an answer. This shouldn't cost me much money.
I just have to see which is the best way to go.
There are 3 diablo builders in New Zealand using the NAERC chassis that I know of.
Cheers

01Lambiero:
Touché, mon ami. ::thumbup  ::salute

99svmonterey:
I believe others have tried using the stock C5 setup on the front but the turning radius wouldn't work. That was with factory control arms. Modifying the NAERC lower control arm to accept the shock like the C5 lower arm should work in theory. You would have to design a new bracket to fasten the upper shock bolt to of course. Moving the upper shock support down from under the front hinge beam to the area where the upper control arms bolt on may create new stress issues the chassis wasn't designed for though.
On a sidenote, NAERC (Ken Esler) was located in Saskatoon, Canada so that's technically 2 Canucks and 1 Kiwi.  :LL:

01Lambiero:
Since you are located in New Zealand, NAERC was located in USA, Jim Dinner was located in Canada, wouldn't it solve your problem in New Zealand just to setup your suspension in the OEM Corvette arrangement as manufactured?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version