Author Topic: LamboJayso's OEM Murcielago Build!  (Read 70313 times)

jamack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-2
Re: LamboJayso's OEM Murcielago Build!
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
Jay I think you can buy some of that track from Lambo.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
I agree with jdinner on the reducible force struts.  Just make sure you hang ALL the weight on the door before you adjust the pressure.  You can't add pressure back in.
In a related topic, here is my video on how I made the door strut seal through the hole in the door:

RT

Very nicely done RT and thank you for sharing.  The quote I love the most from this clip was "when you are driving at 150.... or less"!   ::beers

I encourage everyone to share tips like this either by video or by picture and explanation.

Thanks,

Chris 

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »
I agree with jdinner on the reducible force struts.  Just make sure you hang ALL the weight on the door before you adjust the pressure.  You can't add pressure back in.
In a related topic, here is my video on how I made the door strut seal through the hole in the door:

Replica Lambo Door Strut Seal

RT

Hey RT, what are you using inside your tracks where the glass rubs up against?
-Jayso

LamboJayso

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
I can't say how much I loved these struts. Let the gas out until it works the way you want. They work amazing.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#reducible-force-gas-springs/=l8t7ja

Thx for this.
-Jayso

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

Replica Lambo Door Strut Seal

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »
oem door is also metal

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
I can't say how much I loved these struts. Let the gas out until it works the way you want. They work amazing.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#reducible-force-gas-springs/=l8t7ja

LamboJayso

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:06 AM »
The OEM door I weighed was 48 pounds with everything except the window, door panel, window regulator and mirror, my estimate of 95 was soley on the fact of what the door weighed, the glass was shipped at 12 pounds which included the packaging, if you take the travel of the door I'm sure the heavy gas rod would be needed, probably if your door weight is very much more you may consider even a heavier rod...
I see...I'm going to use the OEM shock I have as a test shock. If the shock is too strong or weak for my doors then I'll just have one built identically but with the appropriate force.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:57:23 AM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

jamack

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »
The OEM door I weighed was 48 pounds with everything except the window, door panel, window regulator and mirror, my estimate of 95 was soley on the fact of what the door weighed, the glass was shipped at 12 pounds which included the packaging, if you take the travel of the door I'm sure the heavy gas rod would be needed, probably if your door weight is very much more you may consider even a heavier rod...

Murci-Me

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »
I agree with you No Bull, that's why I'm using 11ga (1/8" thick) tubing to add as much weight as possible and to keep things rigid. I happen to have an OEM door shock. Lamborghini uses a 281 lb force shock for their doors. Which tells me an OEM door roughly weighs 250lbs. When my doors are all said and done, I'd like them to weigh around 150 lbs.

HUH? How did you calculate that?
Now, I haven't had the privledge to weigh an OEM door but if Lamborghini is using a 281 lb force shock for their doors, MM what do you think they weigh then? I know the trajectory at which the shock is mounted also plays a role in determining the force of the shock.
Exact-atac-ally Jayso! The finished door should weigh in at about 120-130 lbs. The shock on the OEM door is rated to support a static weight of 281lbs, but that is normally rated much higher than the weight of the door because of the mounting area and hinge location. Try putting a 20lb weight on the end of a 6 foot pole, and then lift it from the other end. You have to exert much more force to lift that weight in that fashion than if the force was directly underneath that 20lb weight.

LamboJayso

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
So what is the best shock to use? Need to get some asap, jay pm the address so i can
Send the inside handle
Pm sent...Jamack you have to weigh the overall entirety of the door. Meaning, the doors, regulator, glass, door cards, speaker, hinge, mirrors, etc the complete door. Once you have a good estimate as to what your door will weigh in the end, PM me and I'll have the people who are making my shocks make yours. It will cost approx. $100 per shock to make.

-or-

If you feel the weight of your doors are still consistent to an OEM door, you can simply order it from Lamborghini then. It's about $80 a shock through Lamborghini. I'd buy just one and test it on both doors first though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:57:38 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »
Mcmaster-Carr regular and adjustable shocks (as shared before by JDinner).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=l8oeoh

Chris

jamack

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 11:07:56 PM »
So what is the best shock to use? Need to get some asap, jay pm the address so i can
Send the inside handle

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »
I always liked the idea of using the adjustable shocks that come intentionally "overcharged" which allows you to let pressure out to exactly the right amount.  The trick is to remember that you can easily let pressure out but add pressure if you let to much out (pressurized with nitrogen).  These shocks are a little more expensive than a normal shock but it could save a lot of headaches and time and give your doors that smooth opening appearance.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:57:35 PM by No Bull »

LamboJayso

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
I agree with you No Bull, that's why I'm using 11ga (1/8" thick) tubing to add as much weight as possible and to keep things rigid. I happen to have an OEM door shock. Lamborghini uses a 281 lb force shock for their doors. Which tells me an OEM door roughly weighs 250lbs. When my doors are all said and done, I'd like them to weigh around 150 lbs.

HUH? How did you calculate that?
Now, I haven't had the privilege to weigh an OEM door but if Lamborghini is using a 258* lb force shock for their doors, MM what do you think they weigh then? I know the trajectory at which the shock is mounted also plays a role in determining the force of the shock.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:40:11 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso