Author Topic: Starting in ernest!  (Read 1923 times)

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
Re: Starting in ernest!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:38:51 AM »
Window tracks are from a 1990-1998 Thunderbird or Cougar. I believe they are all the same.
Window motors can be from the same car. I used 2001 Monte Carlo.
I was playing with a window motor from a T-Bird last week and it will work great.
I am pretty sure I suggested the passenger side for the computer. Just double checked, yes I did.
The reason I suggested the passenger side ECM mount is you may want to install a subwoofer behind your seat for full effect.
You won't need a fan on the computer, it stays fairly cool behind the seat.

I think a custom made air inlet will do the trick but it might be better to flip the manifold.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »
Where are you located ? I'm in SF

lance345

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
Grats on the start! I hope you have fun and have some pics up soon  ;D

I am the same with just getting everything as soon as it occurs to me. Usually makes things go quicker.

norcaldiablo

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
So we went to Pick-N-Pull today.

Found the slider seat belts from the Dodge Durango. They are SLICK. Thank you to the guy who told about these.

I have read that the door tracks to use for the Diablo are a 91 Tbird.  I found several 90 and 92s. Are these the same??? Also read that tracks from a Cougar or Monte Carlo would work. Any idea what years?

Got the door strikers from a Mercedes 300SD. A bit ahead of schedule but got em while the getting was good!

Could not find visors from a BMW23,

or a dome light from an Alfa-Romeo 156. (or Fiat Tempo or Tempra).

or square door arm rest from an Alfa 164.

Lots left to look for.

Will the axles from a Porsche 944 work with a 915?

Thanks

norcaldiablo

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Starting in ernest!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
So I purchased a Diablo roadster with an NAERC chassis. LS1 with a Porsche 915. Previous owner had spent $45,000!  At least! I am sure it was much more.

Bad news is that what I got was a rolling chassis, the engine and trans axle. C5 hubs but no axles. All the wiring for the engine but all in a pile on top of the engine. The body is good, the chassis great.  Lights are installed (seems pretty poorly though). Fiero steering wheel. No shifter for the trans. No tires or wheels (just some funky rollers with adapters). All the glass and emblems are there.

But I am happier than  (you fill in here! ) ::bounce

Have had some good input from Jim Dinner, Thanks Jim!

I worked with a friend to try to get the body off. It was hung up on some front lights and such. We figured we would really need to be working on the back half a lot. There was only a bit of body along the sills as it is a roadster, so we just cut it in half!  Now the 2 halves come on and off easily if needed.

I am a bit of a gearhead, having built a number of hot rods, but this is my first "kit". Feel due to this I should not take on too much. I am going to stay as middle of the road as possible, more interested in getting it completed than creating an exact copy.

Going to keep the LS1 pretty stock. I found I have one of the few that Pontiac installed in the 2001 TAs with an LS6 manifold! 

First question: The throttle body (drive by cable) is 3 1/2" from the firewall. I think I can get something to work as far as an air filter with a 90 degree bend. See any problem with this? I have heard I can flip the manifold around, but think it easier to keep it as is if it will work.

Jim suggested I put the PCM behind the driver, 4" off the floor. I think I will put it behind the passenger seat but still along the lines of his suggestion. I am thinking of building some sort of box back there with the PCM, fuse panels, relays and such. Wonder if I should put a cooling fan in there?

Off to Pick-n-Pull tomorrow. Battery box, T-Bird window operators (will bring my drill), battery cables, hopefully a Porsche shifter and cables (yeah, I will probably do cables this time around), and a bunch of other parts I have learned about following this forum.

THANKS to all you here for the good advice and ideas. :)