Author Topic: Am33r's Inferno Roadster  (Read 39142 times)

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
Re: Am33r's Inferno Roadster
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Then to the Support Frame!

I tried to get feedback on this part here
http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/technical-discussion-question/17315-support-frame-%5Bg28-roadster-stretched-mr2%5D.html

But of course since there are probably less than 5  completed MR2 murcy builds in the US (three of which are CKI's) I doubt more than a few can relate!

Besides the windshield frame which I have, what I am debating is where the connection/bolting points on the body should be  ::scratch

Here is an example pic where most are hidden under front hood, door sills, behind seats, under rear trunk lid, etc.

And the front Crash Zone example drawing I think I will have assembled next week from this metal I ordered to make a 5 piece Removable Support Frame! There are other 4 parts - One rear, one midsection, and two Rockers also (not shown).

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:29:42 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »
And then the MR2  ;)

No idea what the tires will look like on it but I want the final car low as in my inferno pic hovering over the tires.  I tried them on the MR2 and they need to be lowered 3" +/- and that seems true as Mitch said he had to do that too. I also will get 2" spacers all around so I push the tires more out as in my inferno illustration too! I have  18x12 -44 for rear and 18x9 -1 for front. None the less it's obvious the choice is Coilovers (The kind that lowers the car up to 4") I found a set for $1,000.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:26:48 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »
This week I ended up working on multiple things all at once  ::duh I realized I will have no project-by-project update like I did the first week. I am working on three elements all at once:

Preparations to the body kit – The Support Frame – Finalizing the MR2

But I think that within 10 days and as all these three elements are addressed simultaneously I will have a major update and the car should be soft mounted and should drive in a suitable way!

So first: The kit

I have been drawing and writing on the kit for several hours lol its dusty and full of pencil marks. and I am Trying to measure where to place the front and rear grill tabs on the kit! I think I will use 90* bent steel mesh from the local Car Audio Store and glue it to the back/side of the openings corners for the Front & Rear Grills and that way I won’t have to worry about creating the perfect place for a hole.

Then I did some of measurements (although things don’t have to be symmetrical) but I wanted to trim the kit a little especially where I will have it touching the MR2. So I trimmed here and there, and I cut and drilled the holes for the marker lights, and the two holes for the license plate (The screws that hold the plate have LED’s in them).

I started cutting the Exhaust Tip area but I decided it’s just too hot to cut more things lol I really want to cut everything besides the Fuel Door hole by the time I place the kit on the MR2. Also I need to shorten the Rear Diffuser because the way it came it is too long under the car and wont fit on top of the MR2. So that is next on my cutting spree.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:48:55 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:51 AM »
Hahah I'm calling things by their names (:

I've been busy but tomorrow I'll work on the kit itself a bit.
I will do the "Kit 101 Preparations" so once I mount it I'll keep it on for a while. I am awaiting a few metal parts for the "Support Frame" I will post tomorrow regarding my impression of what the Support Frame should be like- I will study my Elise Mounts and accommodate afterwards.

I rarely work on it lol but I'll put the kit on the MR2 on Monday and take some pics

::beers

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
“Post-Stretch Systems Reconnection Kit”

HAHA I like that, so technical ::tongue

You got some good parts looks like and making good progress! Get that radiator off, the front trimmed and set the body on for a picture!  ::toothy ::beers

Dustin

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
More parts arrived for the Inferno (The theme of accessories here is partly why I call it Inferno).

The Pic Below:

Top Left:   Black Exhaust Tip (4” Inlet with 9” width)
Top Right:   Black Two Mirrors with Smoked LED (Glows Amber)
Second Left:   Fuel Door (Black Aluminum Round)
Second Right:   Smoked LED Side Markers (Glow Amber) to replace the colored OEM ones
Bottom Left:   Smoked LED Bullet Lights (Glow Amber) will be the signals in the Headlight
Bottom Mid:   Black LED License Plate Lights/Screws combo to replace OEM ones
Bottom Right:   LED Ring / HID Headlight with Chrome Ring (Measure 3”)
* I will also be using same type of light for the 2” HID headlight without halo, it has 2” chrome ring

Next, I will be installing all these parts – along with other lights and grills - on the kit.  After that I will soft mount the kit on the MR2 once my "MR2-G28 Support Frame" is here.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
This weekend I only contributed 4 hours of labor to the MR2. We cut the extra metal off of it, and the kit can now fit on it.

Once I install the “Post-Stretch Systems Reconnection Kit” the MR2 should be ready for the road.

mogoes49

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 09:41:15 PM »
looks good ameer i think you will end up finishing this rather quicker then you think ::beers

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
Special thanks to you Mitch you've helped me a lot.
I'd love to see more pics of ur car on the road now.

@Tusabes. You are right I will tint them partially to keep their OEM look but the yellow & red will be shaded - not the gray reverse light.
It's just that there are no colored lights on my build and it's just dark everything & orange paint.

The rest of my lights arrive tomorrow I'll post pics of them.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
I'd say don't smoke the lights to make it look more OEM . Smoked lights always reminded me of fake lights , but you have real ones so you should show them off proudly

Just  IMHO

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
Great start. 
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
As for the MR2 I will leave it for a few days and get to work on the Kit itself. I picked up the kit itself a few weeks ago when I also ordered some parts for it.

I have a G28 Exterior Kit only. This is it hovering over the set of wheels & tires I chose for it (My Inferno Theme) I will change a few minor things about the wheels later :). In it is an extra set I have of Lotus Elise seats (Kind-of fits my Inferno theme but I will get a different kind of set for it later).

When I ordere my kit I also ordered the OEM light set and the OEM grill set.  The two tail lights I bought from eBay.

* The two tail lights will be Smoked (My Inferno Theme)
* The third stop light will be smoked (My Inferno Theme)
* The 4 Markers I don't weant to use so I ordered a different set that is LED: amber / Smoked (My Inferno Theme)
* The 2 License Plate lights I don't like because they are yellowish so I ordered LED ones that bolt on differently (My Inferno Theme)

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »
By Monday ?! Impossible! I am only a few days into the build! I spent only one day on it and a couple of days in the chop-shop.

I will put the body on it after I get it safely running on the road again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:25:03 PM by am33r »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »
GREAT JOB! I liked the idea of sectioning it like you mentioned in the last post but this will be plenty strong and looks like a fantastic job! I'm ready to see a body sitting on this thing by monday! Get to  ::rocker

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
STRETCHING THE MR2 (DONE)

Now that I have decided to stick to the straight cut but make it stronger, I figured that since I had to create Space in my Garage, and look for Equipment and tools and make sure everyone is on the same schedule to do this  ::duh I would rather take it and chop it at a friend's garage.

I left the middle bar of the t-tops intact on the top of the car along with the windshield and rear pillars to assist in a straight cut. The front wheels were locked straight and the rears were puched straight back since they don't turn. After a few measurments the car was welded back and strangthed thurally with bars extanding inside the rockers and on the outside far enough. They even made the rockers look like the original with edges and curves!

I broght the car home today and Here are the pics.

By the way, the actual work is around 24 hours (three 8 hour shifts). The garage I went to will do it in two-three days.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:16:16 PM by am33r »