Author Topic: Am33r's Inferno Roadster  (Read 39107 times)

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
Re: Am33r's Inferno Roadster
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
Lance the AC lines are pressurized hoses so just clamping silicone to them wont work

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »
I was told at the radiator shop that this is the best method and if I cut aluminum I should weld it and test it at high psi. No tubes or flared fittings etc. It only cost me $100 for both. I marked where they should be cut lemme know if you need the exact spot

lance345

• Liked: 18
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
So the aluminum stretch was just preference? I wanted to make sure I didn't do something that would create problems. Especially now while the car is just in the infant stages.

I also have some (I think it's 3") flex gas line, so I'm absolutely going to see if I can run the same route and have success. Glad I stopped by to ask. Thanks for the tip.  ::beers

Thanks for the explanation, and keep up the great work documenting.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
Yep all electrical is the same  :) I put the tank as far forward as possible - I was goin to put it all the way back last week but I talked with MitchMD and he advised me on placing it this way.

As I measured for the fuel filler I noticed the way it sticks out now still clears the batwing area just enough for a fuel door setup (without having to take it through the passanger cabin). I bought a Gasoline-Grade pipe for the filler neck so I can move its opening to where I need it to be.

The AC tubing is metal under the car (Aluminum) so I kept it the same as before just welded more aluminum to it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:56:05 PM by am33r »

lance345

• Liked: 18
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »
Very nice explanation.

I didn't need to extend any electrical on my stretch except the fuel pump. Did you or are you just referring to reconnecting?  The rest was more than long enough once I cut one tie strap holding the giant wire clump just behind the passenger compartment. Also, I didn't need to extend my fuel lines, but we put the tank in a little different. Again, great explaining.

Is there a reason that you put in metal tubing for the AC instead of just silicon tubing like the rest of the lines?

I'm still trying to decide how to route the fuel filler to the sail panel. It goes through the passenger compartment to do it, so I'm anxious to see what you do with yours. Maybe hide it under a batwing?

edit: found an answer to a question in your thread.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:46:37 PM by lance345 »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
I want to shed some light on a week-long process that occupied the whole third week of the build. I think doing this well is essential to having a successful build. I believe, if one orderes all these parts ahead of time (maybe while in the stretch stage) they can definately put it all back together in one weekend. To simplify it as much as I can, here are most of the elements that need to be reconnected after the stretch:

- All electrical systrems
- Heater lines (Requires a cut and extra pipes)
- Fuel Tank & lines (Requires space improvement and extra hoses) SPECIAL STORE
- Vaccume (Requires extra hoses)
- Brake lines (Require extra Hydraulic line) OFF THE SHELF 24" FROM AUTO ZONE
- Clutch line (Require extra Hydraulic line) OFF THE SHELF 24" FROM AUTO ZONE
- Coolant lines (Require extra pipes)
- AC lines (Require welding extended lines) RADIATOR SHOP EXTENDED THEM
- Throttle line reconnect
- e-Brake line (Require extending a part) SPECIAL ORDERED - METRIC
- Gear Rods (Require extending) SPECIAL ORDER - METRIC

Then..

Removal of Hood, Trunk, and Fuel door cables
Reinstall Rear Speakers
Reinstall Seat Belts (No sensors yet)

Some of the items I used are from special stores and special fab-welds etc. Some parts I special ordered, and some areas I had to measure to find proper place for like in the case of the Fuel door area matching with the filler openning.

Here are some pictures for New location for fuel filler, and my personal choice of making both gear rods all thread for now. I used a die kit after actually removing the cable, then cutting the front rod, then making a thread out of it as I want to be able to adjust for exact length (something I can't do if I just weld it)

UPDATE

I took the opinions of those helping me and they decided a different posission for the Fuel filler as the fuel door looks better on the side of the car! It cuts the top corner of the Firewall - I didnt wanna do that but sure why not.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:25:31 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
Fuel Tank Mod

Thought I'd share this simple procedure because "beating the tank in" didn't sound like what should be done.

I needed to place the fuel tank back where it belongs in the tunnel under the center console of the car. I however needed to widen the tunnel at the stretch area, or collapse the tank in the same area a few inches, or a combination of both.

I did a combination of both.  First we cut relief slots in the center console tunnel in the stretched metal, then we cranked the tunnel wider with a regular thread/scissors jack, in more than one spot to make it at least an inch wider on each side (We could have done this to make it even wider and that should have done the job to fit the tank). However, using my car, and a hydrolics jacks and some wood we shrunk the width of the gas tank at the area of interest two more inches by lifting the car then letting the car skowly crush the tank.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:56:44 PM by am33r »

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
tail lights fit well, you sure are moving right along  ::thumbup
Pedro

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
POST STRETCH SYSTEMS RECONNECTION KIT

I ordered these parts to extend the lines of the Fuel, Hydrolics (Brake & Clutch), AC, and Gear Shifting lines.

Water/Coolant & Heater lines are also in this catagory. And 1 Vaccume tube. And that should conclude the full kit.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:39:25 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
Project Inferno Week 3 Continued

- Spray Painted the stretch metal under the car including inside fuel tank tunnel
- Trimmed off the top/side metal from the rear trunk of the MR2 (in the pic the Heat Shield has dirt on it not rust  :))
- Cut the Muffler & tips off the MR2
- Fitted Tail Lights / Marker Lights / Some Grills onto the Body Kit
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:44:09 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »
Just an hour of work on this build today. I sprayed the stretch metal with rubberized undercoating, and I cut the edge of the Rear Diffuser on the kit so it looks nice and symetrical and fits on the MR2 rear trunk area.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »
Yes. I must protect that metal so i"ll do it soon! right after i get the car running this week. And here is my Weather Stripping kit that arrived today!

Door/Trunk/Etc. Cushion Rubber Surround
Rubber Edge Trim
Carpet (Mainly for needed areas in cabin and trunks)

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Is it a good time to primer /POR that bare metal now where your cables are , so it doesn't rust in the future ?

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Just reconnected all the wires in the cabin (None were cut to start with) - it was just an hour of putting wires back where they belong and plugging harnesses to everything including inside the cruise control box, and re-bolting the starter wire, and other elements I have unplugged to start with. Preliminary wiring is done; I will wire seat belt, door sensors, speakers, etc. once I put the interior together. It is so hot in my driveway 90ºf  ::sun so today’s work is over for now! My garage is full of burning man related stuff I should have cleaned all that long ago  ::duh

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Pretty exciting am33r! I look forward to seeing this thing come together. :)
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?