Author Topic: Countach Air Con Controller  (Read 19399 times)

Linlor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
Re: Countach Air Con Controller
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
I received some help from a Lambo mechanic. He graciously supplied me with the user/shop manual pages from a Diablo, which used the same HVAC controllers as the Countach in the early years.

My assumptions were quite incorrect for the A/C and the vent buttons. Time to update my pseudo-code to reflect the proper operation... Funny, the English side of the pages really read like a literal translation from the Italian.....  ::beers

For the Diablo replica owners, this HVAC unit will also work as this the HVAC controller for the early Diablo's

Cheers
Don

Linlor

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
A confirmation of button functions as I write out my controller code.

Button functions from top left
  • A/C Button
  • Feet Vent
  • Dash Front/Console Vents
  • Dash Upper/Defrost Vent
  • Defroster.  This one is the one I am most confused about.  Is it a defrost power button like we have where it shuts ll the other vents off and turns the fan up to high and blasts the condensation off the screen?  Or is it the rear window defrost button? 

Buttons from Bottom Left to Right
  • Recirc so shut off the outside air.  Usually used with A/C
  • Temp Down
  • Celsius/Fahrenheit switch button
  • Temp Up Button
  • Fan Button.  Has three speeds

Can anyone confirm or correct me please?

Thanks
Don

Linlor

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
OK all;

I have been able to get my hands on an oem HVAC controller for reference.  I have taken it apart and taken pictures at all angles.

The HVAC controller is pretty darn simple really.  Push down a button for the various venting positions and they stay pushed in and electrically move the vent flaps.  Very much the same setup as the Fiero HVAC control unit.

I have purchased an Arduino UNO unit to run my controller and I am now writing out some pseudocode to get my flows and scenarios worked out and then into some C++ coding to build my own unit.

My plans are:
  • Use the HVAC face to measure and make a buck to be molded
  • I plan to use micro switches for the buttons so they won't work exactly the same as the oem buttons
  • I will need to add some LEDs to each button to show what button is enabled and what is not.
  • I also plan to update the LED temp display to a small LCD screen that I can ads a few more items to rather than just the temperature that the heater is set to.

It won't be an exact copy of the Countach HVAC controller but it will work for my purposes and be updated a bit to provide more info and usefulness than the original.

The project won't be speedy by any means as I am doing it later at night when I get back out of the garage or finishing up the latest "Honey-do contracting" project that my wife needs done......

I will post up some pics of the oem controller unit soon.

Cheers
Don

Linlor

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »
I just heard back from Theo over on lamboreplica.uk and he said he will post his CAD files up on his web site for his controller when he gets a chance.  It has been several years since he have done anything with it so he had to find it.  He is also extremely busy so it may take a while to get posted up there.

Cheers
Don

Linlor

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
Pics and a drawing of the Countach HVAC button I purchased from Lambostuff recently.  Finally had time to sit and draw it up and take some pics.

Don

Linlor

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 01:54:45 AM »
Digibeam

The buttons do stick up quite far.  I haven't taken a pic yet of the button but the switch movement when pressing and releasing is about a 1/4" at least.

CCIE
Are you willing to make any more controllers or willing to sell the plans etc.?

Thanks
Don

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »
so the buttons actually stick out that far?

Graeme Stebbing

• Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »
CCIE you have an email

CCIE

• Liked: 96
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »
Hi,

Ya that is Velcro, the stickers falls of so the previous owner put Velcro to hide the hole (as can be seen in the Countach controller which is missing both side stickers)
Pic below is the exact replica version. The top is OEM and the bottom is replica.

By the way in the picture below the top OEM one is taller since the control electronic is underneath it, my replica controller is shorter as there is no controller electronic but they are exact size from the front.

Thanks
CCIE

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:00:09 PM by CCIE »

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
Hi Digi, Looks like velcro, I suspect it probably attached to his phone, to stop it sliding around, any luck with the file, a little boy waits lol.
Regards
Graeme

Digibeam

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
whats the furry part on the left side for?

CCIE

• Liked: 96
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »
Hi all,

Due to my past experience posting on hear I was not going to post any more but I figure I help out.
I have several of these controllers as I bought one that was for the Countach, then I bought 2 or 3 for the Diablo but as with used items on ebay you get what you get. I finally bought a new one. In the pic below You will see one is for the Countach one for the Diablo and one new for the Diablo (New one is for my Diablo Roadster). A while back I also made an exact replica with working buttons as well as the LED digits, I will try to dig up the molds and a test unit and post pic later. My replica were just switches and a LED that can set the desired digit and I am sure someone could build a controller to get it to interface it with the Fiero heater system. I will also consider selling the used units if someone is interested just email me and we can work out a price.

Thanks
CCIE
Yusha_2000@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:48:41 PM by CCIE »

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 12:27:08 AM »
As far as putting the buttons down the sides that would work, as mentioned above its the 55 x 92 overall for the display that has to fit, it's what I was thinking of trying, down in NZ very few people will ever see a real Countach with the real controller, I have  only ever seen two real cars in 30 yrs, so as long as its functional, and looks acceptable, I am good. The other aspect is that the heater unit comes from a 2 seat coup so is not huge, compared to many.
I have spent years at the pickapart looking for a heater small enough with all the functions, I even have come home with a MR2 heater but its a basic manual type control. And really about the same size.
The gto unit will fit the limited space in front of the centre console . Up under the dash
It  has a small brain box controller, and the aircon section and the blower section can be separated and ducted from anywhere under the hood. I also found out it has a anti belt slip function that detects if the belt is slipping, in a gto it drives alternator also if it detects slip, it opens the aircon pump clutch.

Digibeam

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
that display is a bit bigger than i expected.  also with it being a fluorescent display, you have to keep in mind short runs for the connectivity and the voltages required to keep the display excited.
60x40 could be squeezed in but it would push the buttons far to the edge which leaves little room for the wall thickness.
a smaller button could be designed though and other than having a proportional issue, it would work. another thought would be to alter the panel all together to accept the layout of this unit  and put the buttons up and down either side?  or is that taking the part too far away from visual requirements?

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
Guys got some pic that may help the cause, the visible display area can be limited to 40h x 60w the actual display glass is 55h x 92w the display can easily be detached from the pcb, and put on a ribbon cable or such also, the same for the button pads just connect to a switch and remote them. The question I have is will the display size fit between the two rows of switches if it does its a easy way to have a controller, if not we could make the top and bottom buttons a little further apart no one would even notice, the twin turbo version is colour and I think its called a 3000gt over your way. Connect the heater on the end and your done.
Regards
Graeme