Author Topic: paddle shifter  (Read 7117 times)

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
Re: paddle shifter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »
 :o.   ;D

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
Hmmm....., where do I begin?
First for JB1 ; The pivot system you mentioned is the best way to do it, and its also how I did mine. I have momentary switches mounted on a plate that the paddles also mount on. When you pull the paddle back, it pushes the switch in. The switches "click" or "snap" when they engage and disengage. You not only here it, you can feel it in the paddle.
Dratts, I faced the same dilemma when designing my system. I think mine is a little more complicated than yours, but what you need to do is have a secondary "safety" switch that must also be pushed to go into either park or reverse.
On my system, the paddles control the shifting, whether its from park to reverse, 1st to 3rd, neutral to park, whatever.
When the car is in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or drive, there is always power to the paddles. There is no power to them when they are in Park, Reverse, or Neutral. You have to push the center button on the E-gear plate to supply the paddles with power to shift through those gears. I did this on purpose so if you were driving and accidentally hit the wrong paddle or at the wrong time, the transmission wouldn't accidentally shift into reverse when you were cruising along at 65mph. You have to consciensly hold in the button to select those gears. When the trans is in Drive, a relay that supplies power to the up-shift paddle is de-energized, cutting the power to that paddle. When the trans is in Park, the relay that supplies power to the down-shift paddle is de-energized the same way. I didnt want to be sitting there with car in park, reving the engine, and have it accidentally shift into reverse. The system is designed so that if you lose electrical power, nothing will go haywire. I didnt want to driving along and have a relay fail and have it cause the trans to shift, so I designed the system to be "asleep" all the time you are driving, and only come to life with a paddle command.
JB1, I will pull my steering wheel off and shoot a video of my lever system, hopefully it can be of some help for you. I have the switches if you need them, and I will show them in the video also.

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
I have my paddle shifter console buttons set up for "park", "reverse", and "manual".  My right paddle shifts up and mynleft paddle shifts down.  What I'm nervous about is the console controls.  There is nothing to prevent the controls from activating my linear actuator and shifting into reverse or park while driving.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
What bout 2 small LED's mounted to each side in the instrument cluster so when you hit the paddle one will light up so you know if it is engaged or not. Also if that wont work might PM Murci-Me and ask how he got the clicking sound on his setup... I like the LED idea myself, however NOT OEM, but easy fix.

OH ya and when you get all of the hard work done put me down for a set  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:56:16 PM by usmc_butler »

jb1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
paddle shifter
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
   I am  wanting to use the  Lambo rep.  paddles I got and trying to figure out how to make the   shifter itself.  I have  the  controller ( using arduino mega and linear actuator )and almost finished with the code minus a few safety features  etc. I am wanting to add... 
   I am working to make it  where if  you hold the  up shift for 2 sec  it will go straight to  drive  or  hold the  down shift  for 2 sec and  go straight to park,  or  just  go sequentially  from PRND321,,  ..                   
  I thought about  making a  pivot system so when you pulled the paddle  back  it  will push a button (simple enough) but I want something  that you could feel it click  so you know when it  is engaged kind of like a dimmer switch does  when it is pulled.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated...