Author Topic: Murci G28 build "Chaos"  (Read 240547 times)

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
Re: Murci G28 build "Chaos"
« Reply #310 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »
More stuff being done ::bounce I had to slightly trim the fenders to get the front bumper to sit correctly with the headlight lenses, washer brows, and hood.

I also talked to Batbuilder and asked if he minded if I borrowed his idea for the steel front defuser. Im all bout protecting my "gem" front bumper. I know it seems heavy however if you have seen the weight I have trimmed off all of these OEM parts that I have had reproduced, its just a drop in the bucket for weight issues

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
More trim rings  ::headbang I think that's all of them.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Rings finally made! Nice
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:46:38 PM by Tallon »

IwantAMURCIE

• I'm building my dream....
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
NICE PARTS!!! Put me down for all those parts.... lol No but seriously put me down for all those parts..

Texas

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 39
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
Nice parts!!! I want on this waiting list as well.  ;)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
Where do I sign up for one of those grab handles and side scoops in carbon fiber.. how much and how long of a wait?  ::toothy

Chris
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:58:32 AM by No Bull »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
Another, OEM Carbon Fiber passenger grab handle being made... AGAIN I am not taking credit for this stuff, I clearly do not have the skills to do this (YET ::toothy). This is being done by a friend for me, but it is a secret cant tell him I posted them...

Last picture is my console switch rings and 5 button switch rings going out in the mail, curtsy of my good buddy Schulze

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
Here is more secrets... Side scoop piece in CF

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
Here are some of the parts being mad that I have been working on... SHHH, don't tell Frank I posted them ::tongue

This stuff is all 3D printed, Last 3 photos are of the overhead sunglass console being reworked...

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
Not much going on lately, by me. Just finished the A-pillar support and upper windshield mounting flange also cut the holes for the headlight buckets,yes I know they are in upside down ::duh) I didn't have any way of holding them in for the picture. Im also waiting on parts and front springs.

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »
I think the only G28's that get cracked windshields are the ones that have had the windshields trimmed to fit, allowing many places for cracks to start around the edge. I didnt want to trim my windshield for this reason, so I came up with the slotting of the fenders to allow the windshield to slip under and not crack. I also did it to my friends Murcie, and he has been in several front end collisions (1 major one) and the windshield has not cracked yet (even though he went under the minivan in front of him and had the vans right rear tire sitting on top of his left fender). Once the windshield is bonded down, it adds alot of rigidity to the A pillar frame structure.
I drove my car once without hte windshield in place, and everything there was racking over every bump. Once I put the windshield in and bonded it down, it became as stiff as a board (maple, maybe even oak) and has never moved since.
I think what you want to do wont hurt, but from experience I can tell you its not necessary.  ::wave

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
It would be cool to replicate the pillars out of metal and weld them to the chassis, doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. Lot more fun than messing with fiberglass!
Maybe form them to shape the glass before putting them on?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:27:32 PM by Tallon »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
Bull Ive been cutting many sections out of my car along the way in an attempt to make it easier down the road to access different areas, ive been tossing around doing the fenders since the top of them have to be cut anyway to fit the windshield all I would need to do is put better bracing and mounting flanges. I haven't done much on the back of the car to see if I can make the whole rear quarters removable yet, however it sure would be nice  ::beers

My advice to you if you are going to start separating panels like the fenders is to get everything sitting on the car where you want it as a one piece body, build out your brackets and mounting locations and tack them into place as well as bond any brackets to the backside of the panels.  When everything is secured, cut the panels apart.  You can go back and finish all the mounting points (welds and paint) and bolt your panels up and use these panels as your reference points for aligning everything else up.

Chris

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #297 on: January 10, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
Bull Ive been cutting many sections out of my car along the way in an attempt to make it easier down the road to access different areas, ive been tossing around doing the fenders since the top of them have to be cut anyway to fit the windshield all I would need to do is put better bracing and mounting flanges. I haven't done much on the back of the car to see if I can make the whole rear quarters removable yet, however it sure would be nice  ::beers

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Has anyone (other than me) thought about separating the windshield panel (pillars, front cowl and front door sills) from the one piece G28 bodies and bonding this in place to the windshield pillar frame?  My rational for this would be that the stiffer and more integrated this panel is with the frame, the less chance of cracking a windshield (very common on the G28's) and the other body sections can be removed or allowed to shift around slightly without affecting this section.  I really think it would make for a more solid foundation (less noise and easier to maintain down the road) and the fenders could be removed without lifting off the entire body (awesome for door hinge adjustment or panel repair / replacement).  This is a little easier decision for me since I'm using a Watson front bumper and rockers because everything is nearly separated up front any how (only the windshield surround and fenders are left attached so why not separate them?).  If you look how nearly any production car is built, the roof and windshield frame are part of the unibody structure.  When you leave it all one piece, body twist, expansion, vibration or shock can be transmitted to the windshield and the glass loses the battle.  :)

Thoughts?

Chris