Author Topic: Cost of an AD (watson) build?  (Read 9939 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Cost of an AD (watson) build?
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
When you are comparing a $70,000 Lamborghini with a $70,000 replica let's be fair and do a side by side comparison of what you should expect:

Lamborghini - As stated, more than likely you are buying a "high mile" Diablo or a lower mileage Gallardo.  For some of us, the Gallardo just doesn't appeal to us and although it's a cool car, I personally think that a real Lamborghini should have scissor doors and a V12 and the Gallardo is a dressed up and re-badged Audi.  Often the Diablo's in this price range are nearing or over the 10,000 mile mark and if not serviced correctly, you are looking at some serious dollars.  A clutch replacement at the dealership (parts and labor) will sit you back $18,000 for a V12 Lambo.  These cars typically have other wear on them (paint, mechanical, interior) and they will require additional dollars to freshen up.  The cost of ownership will cost you a premium in minor things like fuel (8 mpg on premium fuel) but also oil changes, belts, air filters and of course insurance (try calling your insurance agent for full coverage on a Diablo).  Lord forbid that you are on a long trip and you break down in the middle of no where and need your car hauled to the nearest Lambo shop and for most of us, we live hundreds of miles from an authorized service department.

A $70,000 Replica - You should expect a brand new quality built car with zero miles and powered by a drive train that can be serviced in most cities and parts found in most local auto part stores with very reasonable costs.  You can add the customized parts that you want during the build and personalize it as something more unique and practical for it's intended use.  Most replicas can be insured with a agreed upon value policy that are affordable.

Resell is another topic and I think most everyone here will agree that a real Lamborghini in this price range will probably have the least amount of depreciation and might even appreciate over time so a real Lambo probably wins out here.

Let's also keep in mind that for some of us, part of the dream is building the car.  For me personally, I'm enjoying the journey and I'm in no rush for it to end at the cost of ending up with a car that I'm happy with or doesn't meet my expectations for quality or my intended purpose of putting 100,000 miles on it which I'd never even consider with a real Lambo.   ;)

Chris   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:01:38 PM by No Bull »

msaby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
can't count how many times he's said that and still no explanation
He comes on here just to say that every week
really getting annoying

Dude I've stated about a 100 times between here and the other forums why it would exceed the cost of an original Lamborghini. Don't believe me go check out Lambobuilder.com and read around. Sure its not the LP640 but the costs would be roughly the same should anyone start from ground zero with a chassis, body, engine, transaxle, ext....ext.... I could have went out and bought a real Lamborghini Diablo for that same price and in some cases even less.

Even Murcie-Me spent a huge dollar amount on his Fiero based kit and the last time I checked he was still sporting the original 2.8 except its now supercharged. Imagine if he'd gone full tube chassis, V12 and such how much the car would have costed overall?
Tube Chassis+ADLP640=darn near OEM Price range. ::thumbup

How do you figure that ::scratch? LP640's are running in the $250,000 range

You can get a real lamborghini for around 70-100k these days. Diablo. Heck there's a few Gallardo's going for under 100k. You can't build a tube chassis murcielago, V12 with Porsche tranny to OEM spec without spending that kind of money especially if your starting from ground zero.

Maybe if you get an Ebay special that includes the body and chassis for like 12k its possible to keep things cheap.

I don't usually chime in here, but when you keep using the name lambobuilder.com and the cost of a replica.  You must keep in mind that you are buying a turn key not building it yourself. In the price there is labor/ overhead/ profit etc..  You would be better off speaking from experience rather than reading about it on the internet and repeating as fact.  This is how mis-information gets out there and if you are not careful it can cost someone finacially.

SchulzeA

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
LP670, welcome and good luck on your future build. The car can defiantly be built for $70 or below.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
You didn't say lambobuilder you said "TUBE CHASSIS AND AD BODY"
lambobuilder didn't have to spend that much money he simply had the money to spend to make his build better

I am seeing totally destroyed original murcies for almost 80k how would one get a new lp640 for that? Obviously, no one wants a gallardo. You apparently would be happy with any lamborghini, that's just you. Why are you talking about oem specs??? We build REPLICAS!

...and you know what people spend how? because they told you so? imagine if everything you heard were true.

fiero chassis tube chassis same thing they're both metal they both get updated equipment attached to them. Only I payed less for my tube steel than I would have for a fiero chassis. Didn't even have to deal with cutting up, stretching and reinforcing anything. I don't know what ext ext ext means but I did start from 0 and have a body, chassis, engine and everything, don't have trans yet but what is another $300?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:39:11 PM by Tallon »

Onewickedsvt

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »
I have a Watson kit and adjust about 10k. I have the fiero gutted and stretched. I have windows, but no regulators and no hinges.

It shouldn't be too much more than a regular kit.

The only bad thing is you need the oem window regulators and motor. Those are 1200 for both. I also am going to order the inner roof sheet metal and bond it, but that's my choice. Another 1400 for that.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
Before buying that chassis, you should confirm if it's built around OEM specifications and if the body mounting points are in OEM locations or if this body is intended for "any body".  I'll also suggest that you check out Cliffs chassis's for comparison because his frames are exact copies of the original and they'll have the body mounting locations in the correct places.  This means that OEM style panels basically bolt on and fit correctly the first time.  Something else to consider is that even if Cliff's frame is $5k more, you'll probably save more than this long term in build labor and possible changes to the other frame to get everything to line up and sit on the frame properly.  Best of luck on your build and please include pictures as you take this project on.

Thanks,

Chris

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
Yes, I would hope so... ::beers

lp670

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
Where are you located?

Have you found all of these items already?

I also bought a kit from John and it was more than the 7.5k you put down so that is already a good purchase.  If you are getting the chassis for 10k it's a steal, I am also going to build my own and will probably put that or more into it and I will be doing all the work.

I think pretty much you have it all nailed down but I think you can still come down on a couple of items, like wheels and paint/wrap.  You can get a nice set of original wheels and tires for about $3,500.00

welcome to the forum ::wave

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm located in California. I haven't found anything yet except for the rolling chassis which I can pick up anytime. Do you guys think it would be possible for the build to stay below 70,000?

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
can't count how many times he's said that and still no explanation
He comes on here just to say that every week
really getting annoying

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
Tube Chassis+ADLP640=darn near OEM Price range. ::thumbup

How do you figure that ::scratch? LP640's are running in the $250,000 range

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
I dont know why but that sounds cheap...

Somebody is going to charge $20,000 to build it (just a guess)

You have done your research on pricing, and the best LP640 body on the market you are defiantly on the right track!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
Where are you located?

Have you found all of these items already?

I also bought a kit from John and it was more than the 7.5k you put down so that is already a good purchase.  If you are getting the chassis for 10k it's a steal, I am also going to build my own and will probably put that or more into it and I will be doing all the work.

I think pretty much you have it all nailed down but I think you can still come down on a couple of items, like wheels and paint/wrap.  You can get a nice set of original wheels and tires for about $3,500.00

welcome to the forum ::wave
Pedro

lp670

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Cost of an AD (watson) build?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
Hello all! I've been doing some research as to what the costs would be to build an ADLP640 for my company for advertising purposes. Please let me know if this is a reasonable breakdown of costs

1) custom tube rolling chassis with 10k. (taking it off the hands of a builder who ran out of funds/interest. he has 20k+ in it already. engine, transmission, etc included).
2) wheels - oem wheels 7k
3) paint/wrap - 5k
4) exact replica interior in leather - 10k
5) glass, grills, windshield, badges, trim, lights, markers, stickers, etc misc 10k
6) AD Kit 7.5k
7) Doors (working windows, trim, etc) 6k
8) Labor to put it all together - I need help with this part

If theres anything else you think is important please list it! If you have any suggestions on a builder please let me know also!

Lastly, I havent been able to find one instance of a fully completed ADLP640 build out there so if any of you have any pictures or information, please let me know! Willing to fly out to you (lower 48 only) to check out a completed build! Thanks!!