Author Topic: Random pics of my 6 ohh  (Read 16283 times)

Thumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 31
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Random pics of my 6 ohh
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »
Some pics of the dash build.  The 2 small gauges will be replaced with ones like the speedo and tach.  They'll be a water temp and fuel gauge.  I used carbon fiber wrap and a heat gun and for my 1st ever attempt at working with vinyl but I it turned out pretty good.  Except the far right corner, so I'm going to have to do something with that.  Now to make a fiberglass shroud for the stereo and heater controls and attempt to cover that too. 

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
Don't they still make "Trail bikes"?  Front trunk: Golf Clubs remain at the Country Club.  Fill trunk space with Twinkies!

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »
Thumper...
A great big congrats to you for the trail hike!  I hope you could afford the weight loss and it didn't take too much out of you.  That is an amazing accomplishment!  Any word on how many people have actually done that?
I like the Diablo too.  That front trunk looks good.  When people say to me that trunk looks small, I tell them, "Its big enough to hold one set of golf clubs but you have to bend them just right."
All the best on your build.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

minihawn

• Liked: 84
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Amazing bro! Absolutely amazing. I'm referring to ur hike! But glad to see the Diablo again!
Fate has no choice

Thumper

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
Been a LONG time!  Quick update, I was actually able to complete one of my dreams!!!  I recently hiked the ENTIRE Appalachian Trail (all 2190 miles/14 states (from Georgia to Maine)).  I heard about it ~25+ years ago and as the years went by, I thought this could be a reality.  And so it was!  Anyway, if you like, search youtube for "Chris: Trail name Thumper" and you can see my vids I took along the way.  I'm still trying to get a final video with some pics finalized to upload.  It took me 132 days, lost 46 pounds!!!, and was the most challenging thing I've ever endured!  Except this darned Diablo project!!!
BUT....  I'm back on track and todays progress went rather well.  The front trunk is complete except for the weather seal and the windshield wiper control arm (both on order).  Next up is the trunk (engine bay), then interior.  Engine bay is almost complete.  Just needs the holes filled in, latch and catch, some fiberglass work on the lid, and lid bumpers installed.  Still thinking a wing would look nice, but that's for later.  Then onto the interior.  More to come...

Thumper

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
Marker light/turn signal glass cut and installed. Starting to look mean. ;)

Thumper

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
For now I'm using RM10 but eventually will go to glass.  I'm getting conflicting info if RM10 is actually legal or not for a windshield.  Please let me know though, that'll be a great help and eliminate any DMV confusion. 
So today's progress is the other marker light/turn signal.  Got 'em both done and installed.  Just needs glass and I should have that done hopefully tomorrow after work. 

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
Got your windshield cut yet?  If my measurements are correct, a windshield for a 99-03 Grand Am or Alero will require only two cuts (one on each side).  The 94 Honda Accord requires 3 cuts, an additional one across the top.  I'll let you know in a week or two. 
Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Thumper

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 09:10:46 AM »
Here's yesterday's progress.  Used a little cardboard as a template, some fiberglass, construction paper, and epoxy to seal it all up.   Now to cut out the glass and the front marker lights are good to go.  These are originally from a Chevy Corsica and the stock Fiero bulb socket plugs right in. 

Thumper

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:10 PM »
Here's another from today's progress.  Got the passenger door ground down and ready to bond the outer shell on.  That'll be tomorrow hopefully.  Don't worry, that turn signal is coming off and the correct one going on.  Haha

minihawn

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »
Looking good  ::rocker id love to see more of her
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 03:29:36 PM by minihawn »
Fate has no choice

Thumper

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
A little time has passed due to unforeseen circumstances, but once again back on the project.  Here's the latest in the door building process.  Taking the '57 Chevy hinges off and going to beef them up with a new (larger) pin to eliminate the door wobble. Added more fiberglass resin to the front of the door and that strengthened it up significantly.  Bonded the outer door shell on.  After the hinge is sturdy, adding metal and the upper door, window tracks, and glass.  Almost there!  Added a manual release to both doors and re-did the poppers for easier replacement in case they fail.

Thumper

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
Originally from Pee-Yay but right now I'm unfortunately stuck in the Georgia heat. Will be moving back next year though.

minihawn

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:16 AM »
 ::salute looking good bro! where u from? I'm in Ohio
Fate has no choice

Thumper

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
So it's been a long time coming with retirement, an Appalachian Trail thru hike attempt, and a little bit of "this is too hard to figure out right now so I'll work on it tomorrow".  But lately I've been working on my doors, trying to get this car finally finished.  First of all, I got the engine running about as good as it's going to get and took it for it's first test drive the other day!   ::thumbup  Let's just say the little Chevy 4.3 has way more torque than I thought and left a few (6) tire marks in the neighborhood.  Oops.  But I've been working pretty much non stop for the last few days on these doors.  They are going to be fully automatic with door solenoids and of course the crazy looking universal choke cable is for a manual release from inside.  It'll be hidden of course but easily accessible.  If you've been following along, I did get new hinge pins and bushings for the 57 Chevy hinges I'm using.  They worked for about a day, then the slop came back.  So I'm taking them to the machine shop and getting them beefed up and they'll finally be solid with no wobble.  Today is all about getting the lower window tracks installed, then outer panels bonded on, and the window test fit/installed.  I'm still using RM10 plexi but once it's all together I can eventually get glass cut by using it as a template.   More to come and possibly a video at the end of the week.   ::beers