Author Topic: G28 - Simple Mans, Simple REDO of an G28 LP640  (Read 187704 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: G28 - Simple Mans, Simple REDO of an G28 LP640
« Reply #551 on: January 04, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
That's a winner.  Being that we are mounting the latch 90 degrees from the oem Mercedes location, I don't know if the weight on the latch is really necessary and could be cut off.  Maybe someone on here could chime in and correct me on that.  Also the amount of pull to unlock the latch leads me to think that as there are 2 springs on that lever, the stiff spring could be removed.  (I have done this but as yet I haven't finished my doors)  I don't know how this would affect the latching mechanism when closing the door but it would certainly require less pull on the interior release handle.  The OEM release lever is make out of plastic and breakage results are common.  Some of the guys have made handles made out of aluminum.  These are a great advantage.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #550 on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:05 PM »
Boy, you're really stretching my grey matter.  I know that there are a few that look similar but the strikers are different.  My advice is to go with the W115 but make sure that you get the strikers that are the same year as the latches.  Make sure that they are the stamped steel and not the cast ones.  Note that the 3rd picture has the child safety button it (I think that this button keeps the door from opening from the inside).  This latch is from a rear door.
5th picture shows reinforcement placed behind the latch.  It can be welded to the door inner framework for strength.

Thanks 01!

I was able to locate my W115 that I bought in 2015.     When compared to the W126 it is a bit narrower which I like.  It also looks like it would work for external mounting where the W126 doesn't look like that would be possible.   Something to mull over as I work on getting the upper door to seal.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: January 03, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
Boy, you're really stretching my grey matter.  I know that there are a few that look similar but the strikers are different.  My advice is to go with the W115 but make sure that you get the strikers that are the same year as the latches.  Make sure that they are the stamped steel and not the cast ones.  Note that the 3rd picture has the child safety button it (I think that this button keeps the door from opening from the inside).  This latch is from a rear door.
5th picture shows reinforcement placed behind the latch.  It can be welded to the door inner framework for strength.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:10:58 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

Simple Man

« Reply #548 on: January 03, 2019, 12:24:48 AM »
The reason for using the exterior latch is that it is mounted rearward towards the striker.  With an interior latch, the door needs to be moved to the rear and close to the striker.  Look at all 3 of your pictures and you can see where the door is rubbing on the striker.  Hope yours come out OK.

O1 so what latch is it that mounts externally?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:49:17 AM by Simple Man »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #547 on: January 02, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »
The reason for using the exterior latch is that it is mounted rearward towards the striker.  With an interior latch, the door needs to be moved to the rear and close to the striker.  Look at all 3 of your pictures and you can see where the door is rubbing on the striker.  Hope yours come out OK.

Retired

Simple Man

« Reply #546 on: January 01, 2019, 06:55:10 PM »
Why have you chosen to install the interior door latches rather than the oem exterior latches?

Happy New Year 01! 
I'm not really sure why I am mounting the latch on the interior. Or if I should even use the W126 or the W115. ::scratch

I've only seen 3 G28s latch installs and they were both installed on the interior, Murci-Me, MDMurcy and the orange car on you tube.  Looking at the W126 latch I'm not sure if it is conducive to and OEM type install on a G28. ::scratch

The W115 latch might be better for exterior install?  But will it work on a G28?

If any one has any helpful info, feel free to contribute your $.02, I'm still trying to get the inner door to seal against the weather strip :LL:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:45:32 PM by Simple Man »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: December 30, 2018, 11:35:27 PM »
Why have you chosen to install the interior door latches rather than the oem exterior latches?

Retired

Footcutter

• Liked: 142
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 3D car printing
« Reply #544 on: December 30, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
Bugger... :P

Simple Man

« Reply #543 on: December 30, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
These inner doors are a really just POS :LL:

It great to have nice straight door flanges for the weatherstrip ::thumbup  To bad the inner doors are just so warped. Spent a few hours grinding away.  Will have to add some material on the inside of the doors in a few areas.  Material will have to be added in on the door seal side too.

The upper inner door skin.... :o

Hopefully my part for my door shock will be in a few days

Simple Man

« Reply #542 on: December 29, 2018, 11:04:32 PM »
Couldn't find any pictures of G28 latch mounting except this screen shot form a video on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3XFFlj8Ts

Here is the REDOs,  have a little clean up to do but getting there.

Simple Man

« Reply #541 on: December 29, 2018, 10:53:05 PM »
Added multiple layers of CSM to the outside of the door skin. Once close enough to door jam; ground inside down to correct thickness.

Made a one piece plate to mount the Latch to using my plasma cutter, getting better at using this tool  ::toothy

Good times lining up the latch to the striker plate  :LL:   

Got a start adding support for the latch. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:12:04 PM by Simple Man »

Simple Man

« Reply #540 on: December 25, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
Merry Christmas  :santa. My gal is a keeper, got some supplies instead Of socks and underwear  :LL

Simple Man

« Reply #539 on: December 23, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
Door latch - Well the fiberglass on the door end is warped, and short. Thinking about either adding material to the door on the outside and removing from the inside.  Or just cutting the end off and welding up a mounting plate for the latch in the correct position and angle.  Then fiber glassing a new end on.

have to think about it, over the next few days

Simple Man

« Reply #538 on: December 23, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
All flanges on drivers side fixed and seal installed

Simple Man

« Reply #537 on: December 23, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
Using the reducible gas shock from McMaster Carr 6465K7 that have been previously mentioned in other posts here.   

These have 13mm ball studs.  The REDO had a 10mm mounted on the body.  Thought about REDoing and installing a 13mm, but ordered a 10mm Ball Socket End Fittings with Safety Clip for Gas Springs. 

Did a test mounting and these shocks are excellent, very powerful!

Hi Simple, it's always good to see builders take attention to detail such as using ball joints and sockets like OEM...

I hope you know this already, to Not reduce the gas pressure untill your doors are completed, or not reduce them at all, These doors get pretty heavy when completed the right way. just my .02

Lambo Sam, Thanks for the .02!!     I'm trying to REDO the REDO correctly. ::toothy
  I appreciate the helpful advice from builders who have dealt with the issues before and were successful, like yourself.

My motto - however long it takes to do it right and make it look good, that is how long it will take  :LL:  Happy holidays to you and your family  Lambo Sam      :santa