Author Topic: New Member, First Build Intro  (Read 1403 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: New Member, First Build Intro
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Welcome Lance and best of luck on your project.

Looking forward to reading more and seeing pictures of your MR2 build.

Chris

Jadams

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
Welcome!!!!!!!!

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
About your list.....don't forget to fab your mounting points from the body to the chassis.   :P

Also, will you have working windows?  This will increase the build time and you should go ahead and add another "doors" to the list.   ;D

Good luck and you're ahead of things since you'll be able to do the body work yourself.  WELCOME ABOARD!!

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
Welcome ::wave Glad you found us! You have a good plan of attack. Remember it is all easer said then done, but we are all here for any questions you may run into.

Dustin

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »
        Welcome, Lance.  You have joined the "best of the best" here at Lamboclone.com.  Check out the build diaries and find someone who is building or has built a MR2 into a replica and they should be able to tell you which way to go.  You said to be blunt.... you might have researched the members to find a body supplier that would have saved you days on end making the panels fit.  I myself ended up with a body that will require many days of refit, sand, file, cut, fiberglass, and filler just to make it presentable.  I should have been a forum member long before my purchase.  But, just think of all of the wisdom I will have when I'm done.  Have fun.  Don't get burned out.  Remember, the 3% club is still looking for members.  There is a mass of intelligence in our membership.  Welcome. ::thumbup  Jim
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:56:53 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
New Member, First Build Intro
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:59:24 AM »
Hello All,

My name is Lance and I'm going to be undertaking my first lambo build. To make a long story short on how I ended up here, I just thought it looked the most active and helpful, and to be honest I really liked the layout of the site. I expect to have to ask a lot of questions along the way and I'll try my best to put them in the right sections.  :)

About me - I live in Alberta, Canada. It's not really feasible for me to spend 100k on a car that I can drive maybe, and I say maybe, 6 months a year. Oh yeah, and I don't have 100k  ::tongue . What I do have is a serious fetish for cars. I can't help myself. My dad loved cars and when I was 16 we bought a '69 Mustang to restore. We did everything but the final bodywork and paint on it. So, when I graduated high school I went into Auto Body and spent about 5 years getting my full ticket with a Red Seal (just means it's a Canada wide ticket). I worked my way up to head painter of a shop and got pretty decent at working on cars. Due to some big changes in life I left auto body and got a Bachelor's Degree in Business from University. I'm now self employed and find I have enough time to get back to what I really love - CARS! I've spent the last year doing research on the process, and the kit manufacturers. Even with all the time I've put into researching, I'm sure I only have an idea of 10% of the stuff that will come up. I hope that people will lend me a hand, and then down the road I can do the same.

Where I'm at so far - I purchased a Toyota MR2 with a non-turbo engine. Where I live Fieros are pretty rare (not unseen, but not common) and when they do come up they are not cheap. I thought I would be spending about 7k on a donor. I lucked out and found a MR2 in really rough shape for 3k. Not a steal, but for here pretty good. A turbo would be 7-9k. Donor car - check. I found out that stretching the car is legal (will probably require an inspection, but I'm sure it'll pass when I'm done), and there are insurance companies that will cover me. Administrative work - check. After contacting a couple of different kit car companies, and looking all over the internet for months I decided to buy my Reventon kit from CarKitInc. The good news, my kit arrived today. Bad news, I haven't opened up the crate as it was delivered to a warehouse, but I hope to go asap and check it out. Car Kit - check.

My plan so far - I am moving at the end of the month, so I won't be doing anything until then except checking out the kit. Then hopefully starting as soon as I can. Feel free to tell me if this is a stupid idea, but my plan of attack is:
1) Disassemble the MR2
2) Stretch
3) Rough fit
4) Doors
5) Doors
6) Break from doors and do some electrical, specifically headlights and taillights.
7) Finish Doors
8  Glass all around
9) Bodywork

At this point it should be getting close to drivable. I'll need to decide here if I want to start messing with exhaust, buying spacers/adapters depending on wheels. and what I want to do about the interior. I want to be clear so people don't think I'm delusional (well, I hope I'm not) since this is my first build. I am aiming for drivable/safe/legal first, then everything else. Would I like it to be 600hp? Maybe eventually, but that seems a little daunting to me right now. I'm sure I'll lose the respect of some members for looking like I just want to slap a kit on, but I'd like to take it one step at a time.

I do really well with blunt talk and will not take it personal. If something I post is a bad idea, let me know. I am used to putting cars back to factory original, this is very very new to me. I intend (and we'll have to see how it goes) to take pictures and videos to track my progress.

Thanks all, and I look forward to hearing feedback.