The Forum > Lessons Learned - Advice to Newbies

How much of a donor car needs to remain

<< < (2/3) > >>

Neils88:
It's important to follow the rules for your state/ province/ country. Here in Ontario, assuming it is built on a Fiero spaceframe, you register with the Fiero VIN but identify it by the body kit name and manufacturer. Instead of Pontiac Fiero, mine gets labeled as INSP, VENT (since it is an Inspire Composites, Venta-R body). If no VIN were available, then it would be registered as "homebuilt" and they assign a VIN. (Used if you build using a tube frame chassis).
 Insurance is determined from a professional appraisal... and you need to insure with a company that handles kit cars, etc. Contact your local DMV (or whoever regulates it where you are) and check the procedures.

eddie:
so you want to register as FIERO? due to insurance cost? you are fool buddy. when even in small accident insurance will not pay for and you'll be charge as fraud . so you spend thousands of buckaroos on build and shy on less the thousand on insurance . I don'  get it. i'm sure every state has its own laws on registering ,so before you jump on building your show off KIT CAR, do some research first. Man I hear of all the years of horror stories about kit and insurance. think twice about Fiero registering. go by the law in your state!

Footcutter:
I was planning on cutting out the panel with the plate, and rivets, then welding it to the new chassis.

lambobuilder:
In Texas, they checked to make sure the original VIN number was in place with the factory rosetta rivets. I was able to remove a vent so the inspector could see it was in place. I would suggest you check with your local DMV before relocating or at least have access to see the original in place.

01Lambiero:
In Michigan, if the replica doesn't look like a Fiero,  NO PLATES.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version