Author Topic: power rack and pinion dumb question  (Read 4270 times)

LP700-4

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 43
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: power rack and pinion dumb question
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
If they are "capped" (I.e. plugged) you risk hydraulic lock and you may not be able to turn the steering wheel.

What do you need steering for??? :)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
Which EPS are you using?

Make sure you connect the hydraulic ports so fluid moves freely from one port to the other. If they are "capped" (I.e. plugged) you risk hydraulic lock and you may not be able to turn the steering wheel.

ardillo lambo

• Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »
Folks,

I really appreciate the advice and the valuable information, but I'll stick with my idea (already have the all the parts) with an electric power assisted rack. The electric motor is in PID controller that will do most of the work when the car is below 5MPH, after that the motor basically shut down and wheel be all elbow grease. The only thing missing is a manual rack that fit the corvette but there none available. So I'll go with Neils advice fill it with oil and then cap off the lines

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
You would think since the front of these builds don't carry an engine that they would be light and not need power steering.  While you are driving, that might be true BUT a lot of turning is done when moving slow, such as parking.  The wide tires on the front wheels will offer resistance to turning and YOU have to overcome that resistance.
Connecting the power steering isn't that difficult.
I say go for it.
I use Corvette C5 suspension on my build and use a Camaro quick-ratio PS rack.  It makes for a nice feel when driving.

RT

I totally agree.... On my IFG Diablo 60 it is painful to park or slow turn. It can get frustrating and is very difficult. Trust me if you have the option to install PS you definitely DEFINITELY want to do that!!!!!!!!

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
You would think since the front of these builds don't carry an engine that they would be light and not need power steering.  While you are driving, that might be true BUT a lot of turning is done when moving slow, such as parking.  The wide tires on the front wheels will offer resistance to turning and YOU have to overcome that resistance.
Connecting the power steering isn't that difficult.
I say go for it.
I use Corvette C5 suspension on my build and use a Camaro quick-ratio PS rack.  It makes for a nice feel when driving.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
NO, NO, NO.  Make the Corvette P/S work if possible.  Others on this forum have installed electric p/s units (not sure if GM or not).  Make it easy on yourself and your wife if she might want to go cruising.  I adapted a 1998 Camaro steering rack on my Fiero front frame and ran hoses from the engine forward.  Some adaptation was necessary on the tie rod ends.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:02:55 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Neils88

• Liked: 135
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
I would connect the two ports together so that you can keep fluid in the system for lubrication and not risk hydraulic lock of the rack.

ardillo lambo

• Liked: 9
power rack and pinion dumb question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 04:56:52 PM »
Cloners!!!

Using corvette c5/c6 front suspension on my build with electronic power steering ,  I can't find a manual rack that fit the corvette front cradle, I was thinking to use the power rack and pinion and cap off the fluid lines, do you guys think this will cause any issues?