Author Topic: Craigslist Buying Tips  (Read 2580 times)

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Craigslist Buying Tips
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:07:36 AM »
Some tips when I search for items I try to think how a novice would post things. For instance when I was looking for a 3800SC I checked under "rebuilder". Thats how an older person listed his 2001 grand prix. Was checking under Grand Prix and it never came up. He wanted $2400 bought it for $1200. After getting to know him and understand why he was selling. Found out what was important to him.
Bought another 3800SC listed under parts, "Riviera". Had gone to wikipedia and found which cars had that engine. Just started looking under parts under Riviera.
 One of my best scores was a 1988 Fiero GT auto with v-6 listed under parts because the guy had it non-op. It was in pristine condition he could not smog the car and did not want to spend anything more on that car. I Bought it for $500 and had a buddy smog it for $280. If I see something I like I copy the ad and let it drop off craigslist. A few days later I call and ask if its still for sale. Other buyers are not around so I can work a better deal. I never put down a car to get a better price. Most people don't like other people calling their stuff crap, even if it is. I try to point out what I would need to do to get it perfect but in a non putdown way. LIKE YOU GOT THIS BIG DENT IN SIDE HOW MUCH WOULD THAT COST TO FIX. I try to build common ground with the person and will offer a lower price only when I'm standing in front of them.
 Being creative in the search words and checking towns just outside my area works pretty good. I know it sounds corny but I think you can get everything you want in life if you help others get what they want. People want to sell their stuff I want to help them by buying it. Hope that helps someone here....dave

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »
I do a lot of searching on craigslist, I'm a little addicted to searching it. I've bought all four of my Fieros since March on Craigslist. Met a lot of nice people who have been like the guy next door. I don't carry a hand gun. Would not like someone bringing one to my house either. I do pay with cash and hide it in two places in my car. If I go somewhere and just don't feel safe I'm outta there. Bringing my friend has been a good thing. Things I've noticed is if my item is not in the body of the email I delete. If its someone from out of country I delete. If they lowball my price without seeing the item I delete.I have sold a number of items I especially like the guys that want to make payments. I tell them sure you make one payment for the full amount and you can have the car.Lol Lately I've come to throwing away fiero hoods, engines, even gave a couple sets of rims and tires to a local tire place. I've gotten more nervous about strangers coming to my house. Hopefully you don't hear of the batbuilder being shot....
I am that guy that sends cashier's checks and when it clears you can send the product. Mainly cause I don't have paypal. Lol I'm an older guy just not there. but anything I buy on craigslist I check it out in person. I love craigslist and have bought a lot of stuff there just got to be careful and stay local.

bottlefed

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Ive been getting alot of these scam responses lately while trying to sell my boat...I finally got fed up and responded cordially for more information...he then responded asking for my address, number name ect..I gladly accepted giving him the name, address, and number of the chief of police in Tucson...hahahahahahah!!!! I never got another response...hahahahahaha I know it wont do any good, but it made me feel better  LMAO

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »
      My son purchased a 06 Tahoe on Ebay.  We live in Michigan and the vehicle was in NY.  I downloaded a simple bill of sale off the internet.  This is just another item to add to your arsenal.  Two copies made out with the VIN#, actual mileage, owner's name, address, date of sale, etc.  Everybody signs, cash paid, on the road.  This will help you if you get stopped on your way home by the police.  Carfax is super also.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
I bought my Diablo Roadster through eBay.... Same twist of scam, in the military getting deployed yadda yadda you are getting a deal scam and yes I fell for it (OHHHEEEE AS A xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxargggggggggggg FELL FOR IT… mad at my self…. HELL YA)
Well I went to eBay first I was told it is better to work it out with the seller. have I done this have I done that, then filled out there many paperwork for the dead engine they said they never received, then they told me I have to go through paypal since the engine guarantee is through paypal but by the time I got there 30 days just expired. So please please make sure you read all the fine print. It is trueally "buyer beware" out there even paypal and eBay let me down and I believe they were just buying time by sending me hear and there. But a little luck for me that I did get my Roadster but not what I paid for... a total sham though. And of course the Army dude is nowhere to be found. Craig's list has way more scams running out there. Always go there with a friend and always let someone know where you are. I always have my wife on the phone via Bluetooth until I am out of there and if she feels anything wrong or I say my secret call words she is to hang up and call 911 with the address right away. Lucky for me I don't buy a lot from Craig's list but when I do I am always extra careful....
Remember to always work as a team when working with strangers; always have a friend with you as well as on the phone with you.

My 2 cents
CCIE
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:22:13 AM by CCIE »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
I usually see where their IP address is coming from and it's usually in a different state than they claim they're in. Got a lot of them scams when I tried to sell my motorcycle on there.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:50:37 PM by Tallon »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
Glock, never leave home without it! Glock 26, 10+1!
Funny you say that!  I went to meet an unknown person with $1000 in cash for the trailer.  I was packing a 357.  Normally I don't get that paranoid, but he knew that I would be showing up with cash.  He turned out to be a typical really nice north westerner.

Whenever I take money somewhere, I put it in an envelop and hide it in the car.  The last thing I do is go back to the car to retrieve it and it's only after everything has checked out.  Also, never go to one of these places without letting someone know exactly where you're going and the name and number of the person you're going to see.  I always check the seller out on the internet (make sure the address, name, phone numbers match) and in the case of the mower, I check the buyer out the same way.  Someone with history that can be verified is much safer to deal with.

Chris

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Funny you say that!  I went to meet an unknown person with $1000 in cash for the trailer.  I was packing a 357.  Normally I don't get that paranoid, but he knew that I would be showing up with cash.  He turned out to be a typical really nice north westerner.

Onewickedsvt

• Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
That's the problem with Craigslist.. yes it's free to list and purchase items but this also means that they don't have a group on payroll to investigate the scams that pollute their site.  They've always maintained the "buy local" principles and this is why they only support local searches on their site (you can search nationally with other methods but they don't endorse these).  I recently upgraded my riding mower to a ZTR and I decided to try Craigslist to sell my old older mower. 

Within a day I received an email that said this:

Thank you for the response according to the description, am okay with the price and the condition pasted on cl. I am ready to make  instant purchase. My mode of payment would be in certified bank check and i will arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check, because that is the only convenient means for me and due to my work  frame i can not be able to get there and i promise everything will go smoothly. I really wish to be there to check out the item but i don't have chance cause am a very busy person. Concerning the pick up, i will arrange for it after you receive the payment and it clears... Pls get back to me with below info so that i can proceed with the payment immediately if you are selling to me.
Name:
Address: Not P.O.BOX
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number: That i can send text

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you. i will add an additional $40 so that you can hold it for me till the check reach you.

Best Regard

Just a little suspicious huh?   :o

This is how I replied:

The additional $40 is not necessary and I'd rather ask for some additional information to ensure that this is a legit offer to purchase this mower. 

Please provide the following:

- Your first and last name
   - A verifiable address
   - Your phone number

Depending on where you are located, I might be able to deliver this mower in person which would give you an opportunity to check it over in person prior to the purchase and pay for it in cash.  I'm also willing to hold it until you could come inspect it in person (up to 20 days).

Craigslist warns against accepting payments in cashier's check / money orders because there has been an issue with these items being forged.  You've stated that pick-up would not occur until the check had cleared, but this can take up to 10 business days at my bank and I don't want to be pressured into releasing the mower prior to a check clearing.

I come from a security background so please understand my concerns.

What do you know.. they never responded back to me.   ::) 

If you type the first couple of lines from this email into a Google search, guess what turns up... yes pages of the exact same scam that others have also seen:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110508114902AAoPddU

I suppose that these guys are so lazy that they not only feel like they need to prey on the working class but also use the same scam over and over again with no modifications to the email they send out.

Within a couple of days another fellow contacted me that seemed legit and he drove up to my house, checked out the mower and paid for it with cash.  I was even a little hesitate about this meeting in person and I had my trusty Springfield XD on me and concealed the entire time.  I think it's best to interview any buyer or seller on the phone first and figure out where they come from, work for a living and why they need the item or are selling it before making any commitments to buy or sell.  I've found that if you keep your ears open, you can typically tell BS from fact and then follow your instincts from there. 

EvilBay costs have really gone out of control over the last ten years, however like everything else, you get what you pay for and you can't beat the protection that they offer, especially matched with PayPal.

Just my two cents..

Chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:47:57 AM by No Bull »

dratts

• Liked: 14
Craigslist Buying Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
Off topic, but I've been on craigslist shopping for a car trailer and an suv to pull it.  I'v had half a dozen phony posts so far.  The seller starts out with a rig that is about 1/3 of the price you would expect and it's advertised locally.  When I inquire about coming to see it, I get a reply saying it's far away on a military base and that the seller is about to be deployed.  They always say that it's in storage and ready to ship.  They want me to send money to Amazon and say that it is guaranteed by Amazon.  I haven't done it.  I've even offered to fly over with cash to see it and they always have an excuse.  It seems to be a common scheme lately.  I always flag them, but they should be prosecuted.  Someone will get ripped off for sure and it is a crime in the happening.  I got a trailer last week and I'm now looking for thensuv to pull it with.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:28:15 AM by No Bull »