Author Topic: Hinge location and angle  (Read 1425 times)

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
Re: Hinge location and angle
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:51 AM »
Lance I was working on this on the weekend - not perfect yet but reached the same conclusion as you have. (In my pic I cracked the door's top whuch I will fiberglass later in a form that matches the curve of the windshield side frame without any gap). Anyway...

The pivot point is as high as possible and as forward as possible, and the hunge bar should be tilted around 45 degrees.

I had to tape the door skin on and keep moving it up and down to see what touched what... Till I got it kind of okay - I marked and tacked a few points for the hings but didn't finish it and moved on to other things.

In my pic, the hinge & the door frame & a metal panel that holds thelatch are all welded into one piece.

The latch and the hinge bar should be placed (separately) where they work best, then after that welded to wherever they land on the door frame ???

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:46:36 AM by am33r »

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Hinge location and angle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
Hey all,

I'm tackling the doors now, and before I do anything I wanted to know a couple things. Sorry if these questions are answered in people's build threads, I took a look through and found lots of info to help me but never specifically this:

- how high up and forward or back does the pivot point of the hinge need to be? I am currently assuming that it must be fairly high and barely inside the door opening.

- what angle does the part attached to the door need to be at? I've noticed that most peoples are about 45 degrees down or so?

If someone can get a picture I'd greatly appreciate it. I envy the OEM style doors most of the builds have. I have a crap piece of random fiberglass as the inner that may or may not even be able to be attached to the skin. Did I mention it's crap. It's just U shaped and doesn't have a proper indent for the latch. So literally almost 0 use at all. Thank you all.