Author Topic: Door seal question Countach  (Read 4690 times)

Graeme Stebbing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: Door seal question Countach
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »
Good idea Chris, I was told by the builder of my Countach kit to fit the outer skin and get the gaps correct, by using clear Perspex strips about two inches wide and screw them to the door and the body all the  way around the door , using the clear strips allows you to see the gaps easily then bond the inner door frame to the outside skin, he suggested fitting the all the seals at that time so as to get the inner frame to seal correctly, and to then worry about the hinges, he built over 80 cars so he must have learned something along the way.

Mudman

• Liked: 2
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
Every kit is going to vary how you build the panel that fits over frame in the door opening' the seal Slides over a lip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »
Maybe this does or doesn't have anything to do with it, but I've always heard other builders say to place a temporary plate on the door sill when mounting your doors.  This temporary shim should be about 1/8" - 1/4" of an inch thick (depending on the type of weather stripping) and cover most of the sill in length.  The 1/8" - 1/4" is to compensate for the door sill plates that most guys install but also the compression of the weather stripping for a nice seal.  Once the door is sitting on the plate and everything is contacting correctly and making a seal, the hinges should be installed and adjusted to the proper door position versus adjusting the door to the hinge position.  Too many times, guys will forget about the weather stripping and sill plate and get so focused on making the doors open and close properly that they forget what is happening under and around the door.

Hope this helps

Chris

gumby

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Door seal question Countach
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
I have been wondering how the seals\interior get resolved in the actual Countach. I have a kit and the interior just butts up against the door seal in the inside. Is that correct? I am referring to the sill plates. The issue I am having is that I can see daylight between the seal and the sill plate in a couple of areas. I think there must be additional closeouts in the actual car, but I am wondering how people have resolved this on their kit car builds.  I think on this car they tried to leave the body removable. Maybe that is the problem. I guess if you never intend on removing the body, you can just glass it all in. I'd appreciate any advice on this topic.

Thanks,
  Gumby

photo sharing software