Author Topic: For Sale - Murcie Glass Head Light Lenses  (Read 6498 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: For Sale - Murcie Glass Head Light Lenses
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Any updates on the glass lenses?

Thanks,

Chris

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
Have these been made yet? The original post said the first run would happen on the 16th. If so, please post pictures!
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
I got my aluminum rings today and they are beautiful.  I'll be wanting the glass lenses as soon as I see how to modify the G28 buckets and mount them.  The rings that were on the car when I bought it looked like they were made from the bottom of an aluminum can.  I keep finding more ways to pour money into this car.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
This topic probably should be moved over to the "How to Tips" catagory.  Why can't you mount the bucket and lens to the chassis like the Diablo builds?  Put a rubber seal around the lens on the top to seal to the upper body.

Jim

Agreed Jim and I'll break the thread out later to separate the headlight installation ideas from the lenses for sale topics.  I've left it for now because I figure that some guys might be interested in buying the glass lenses but have concerns about how to mount them.

Does anyone have really good pictures of the Diablo headlights for comparison.  No reason to reinvent the wheel if the design can be reapplied.

Thanks,

Chris

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
This topic probably should be moved over to the "How to Tips" catagory.  Why can't you mount the bucket and lens to the chassis like the Diablo builds?  Put a rubber seal around the lens on the top to seal to the upper body.  The Diablo headlight assembly differs as it is a sealed unit and is mounted on a steel plate with adjusters for aiming the light but I think that the Murcie bucket could be mounted the same sort of way.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:53:43 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 09:01:41 AM »
glass lens doesn't bond down onto the body

Peggyontherunireland

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 04:58:22 AM »
I bonded my headlight lens in with a bonding agent think the lens cost me $120 off Mark Clapp

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 01:19:25 AM »
You could bond nuts inside of the fender around the light opening. Not like pecans or cashews, but the type with the washer made to the nut (more bonding surface area). Then make L brackets that are bonded to the light bucket. The L brackets would have a bolt hole that lines up with the nut.
The velcro may not hold at 150mph+ but I'm most certain bolts would  ::toothy

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:31 AM »
I think the key a strong bond is trying to get as much surface area as possible and make sure the area is clean and you're using a suitable bonding agent.  The tab would need to be about four inches wide with a three inch slot leaving 1/2 inch of metal on each side.  The backside of the tab would be extra long to increase the surface area. I don't know if it would be necessary, but the tab could also be fiber glassed in for extra strength. 

Chris

Tallon

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Ah to the body, never thought of that. I have a metal plate bonded underneath mine I was going to fab it to the chassis somehow.
I like your idea better if you are sure whatever is bonded to the body to latch the velcro to will never come off. Also maybe having them go both ways to prevent sliding out. Although I see the only space to attach anything would be fender-side and top, at the front there's the headlight washer and minimal space at the hood side. Could be wrong, just thinking.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:25:33 PM by Tallon »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »
I know this might sound funny to some of you guys but was thinking of using industrial Velcro straps across the bottom of the bucket to hold the bucket and lens up against the headlight openings.  The lens lip would rest against underside of the headlight opening (gasket and maybe a spacer if needed) and the Velcro straps would be attached to the underside of the fenders and pulled tight against the buckets to hold everything in place.  Because the lens opening acts as a index point for the lens and the lens acts as a index point for the bucket, once everything is together nothing should move.  Removing the lens and bucket from underneath would be a breeze.  I'm personally not planning on permanently sealing headlights but I will use some type of rubber or foam gasket material in between the buckets and lenses to help keep moisture and dirt out of them.

Anyone have any pictures of how they did their headlights?

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:22:59 PM by No Bull »

Tallon

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
Yea the glass is so thick that they're definitely not too big or anything, not sure how to hold them in place but I'd assume it's no different. Glass still has to be pulled upward to come off the bucket. You're trimming the bucket to set all the way in. Think others are bonding them together not sure about how I'm attaching them.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:59:08 PM by Tallon »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
I seem to remember someone offering oem accurate headlight buckets for the G28.  I have the stock G28 and plastic lenses that are scratched.  Does anyone know if if would have to change my G28 buckets in order to accept these glass lenses?

Dratts, the G28 buckets and lenses are different in size to OEM so if you wanted to go with glass lenses (are going to be made to OEM specs), you'd need an OEM sized bucket to match.  Watson has the molds to make a really nice OEM sized headlight bucket and the brows that go inside.  Be prepared to open up your headlight openings in the G28 fenders a little to accommodate a headlight bucket that's a little larger.

Chris   

I am using g28 buckets, you just trim them to fit into the glass lens. There is plenty of the sides left without cutting too far into the bucket if you cut evenly on all four sides.

Cool.. good to see that someone confirmed the glass lenses will work with the G28 buckets.  I know they are different sizes and it's good to know they can be made to work together.

Thanks,

Chris

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »
What do you use to hold them in place?

Tallon

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
I seem to remember someone offering oem accurate headlight buckets for the G28.  I have the stock G28 and plastic lenses that are scratched.  Does anyone know if if would have to change my G28 buckets in order to accept these glass lenses?

Dratts, the G28 buckets and lenses are different in size to OEM so if you wanted to go with glass lenses (are going to be made to OEM specs), you'd need an OEM sized bucket to match.  Watson has the molds to make a really nice OEM sized headlight bucket and the brows that go inside.  Be prepared to open up your headlight openings in the G28 fenders a little to accommodate a headlight bucket that's a little larger.

Chris   

I am using g28 buckets, you just trim them to fit into the glass lens. There is plenty of the sides left without cutting too far into the bucket if you cut evenly on all four sides.