Author Topic: Watson - G28L Combination of parts?  (Read 1870 times)

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Re: Watson - G28L Combination of parts?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »
Sweet Can't wait

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
I received messages from a couple guys telling me how different the rear bumpers are and I really appreciate that.  I'm cancelled the order for the rear bumper and I'm going to focus on the front bumper and rocker panels for now.  As start the body work portion of my build I promise to post pictures of it.

Thanks,

Chris

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
will you be moving the rear wheel well opens back to match the new rear bumper or will you make the wheel well opening bigger
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
maybe the small parts and as mentioned by mike, the front bumper isn't much modification but I'd think the rear would be a lot different. Hopefully you'll eventually take pictures so we can see
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:57:44 PM by Tallon »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »
Where's the reasons?

It's some Heavy duty parts he makes, you need lots of bracing.

Goodluck!

Sorry about that... I my cursor was on the post button and I hit enter to tab down and I posted it early.  The reasons are posted now.  :)

I'm ordering the outer panels from him and I'll make all my own tabs and bracing.  Since I'm using a custom frame anyhow, I wouldn't have the OEM mounting points on a factory frame and I need to make these anyhow and they wouldn't match up with the factory inner panels that have these mounting locations.

Chris

Onewickedsvt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
Where's the reasons?

It's some Heavy duty parts he makes, you need lots of bracing.

Goodluck!

No Bull

• Administrator
Watson - G28L Combination of parts?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:54:35 AM »
I just got off the phone with John and I've placed an order for a set of his LP640 bumpers (front and rear) and side rockers.  Any thoughts on combining these with my G28L body?  John's parts are pulled from OEM parts so there will not be any fit issues with my OEM grilles and since the G28 bumpers are "close" to OEM, I think I'll be able to separate these parts from the one piece body and build the new flanges on the G28 body and everything should mount up and align nicely after a little work. 

Here are my reasons for going this direction:

1. Getting rid of the "droppy nose" on the front bumper and sloppy look on the rockers.

2. OEM mounting points for the grilles for a perfect flush fit.  This is better for prep and paint and replacement grilles can be used in the future without reworking the parts or body.

3. Quality - These are all "stress" areas that take abuse and I'd rather have a stronger part there.

4. Replacement - If I crack on of these parts, John or someone with OEM style molds can provide a bolt on replacement vs. it being a one piece body or trying to find customized G28 parts in the future.

5. Overall finish and look.

6. Time and material spent on the garbage body I have now will probably equal less than buying the Watson parts but trying to save these parts will cost something and I'd rather put this investment towards quality parts.

So, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Chris

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:05:10 AM by No Bull »