Author Topic: Complete Murcielago Batwings For Sale  (Read 3548 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Complete Murcielago Batwings For Sale
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
My body had come from CarKitInc and although the Batwings fit decently, the rest of the car is completely unacceptable and this has slowed me down as I decide what to replace and what I can keep.  I've been selecting which body parts that make sense to swap out with AD, OEM and other parts while retaining the front fenders, quarters, windshield pillars and door sills that are G28L and fit the stretched Fiero.  The goal is to end up with a better quality body that is closer to original but is also comprised of removable panels that can be replaced in the event of damage.  I agree with Mike and if I was doing all of this again, I would've started with a AD body and located a good original or custom frame.  There is a point of diminishing return related with trying to use a donor platform and the more you modify it, the less it makes sense financially and lost time.

Chris

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
Well sell your car & let's have a build off! I'd personally like to see you, jdinner, autopro, rodriguez, and me just to name a few, go at it building a Murci using my body. Oh, and J.W. when he was in his hay day.  :)
-Jayso

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »
I agree, the G28's nowdays are terrible, especially with all the splashes they've gone through. My body was the 3rd body ever ran from the original moulds, so it was in pretty good shape from the start. When the moulds reached the end of their lifespan was when Triangle-G sold them to CarkitInc, and by then they were warped and difficult to allign. Joe at I.E. came up with his version of the G28, but did modifications to the body that actually made it less accurate and harder to assemble, all in the name of making a more affordable "budget" body (i'll never understand how making the body less accurate and not providing any mounting flanges for the parts make it easier or any more affordable though).
Everybody has always wanted a 100% accurate Murcie body, but until recently the only one was the Extreme kit, but with shipping costs plus the price of the body, it was unaffordable for most builders.
If I ever did another Murcie, I would definately go with the A/D (now Jayso) body, but I would NOT build on a Fiero though. Theres nothing wrong with building on a Fiero, I believe its a great and reliable platform. Building a A/D body on a Fiero would be a very long and expensive build though, since the cockpit of the Fiero is totally wrong to fit the A/D Murcie body. By the time you change the Fiero to fit the body, it would have been faster and cheaper to build on a tube chassis. Not only would the rear firewall need to be moved up on the Fiero, but the front firewall as well. That would mean relocating everything from the steering column and rack, to the master cylinder and A/C (not to mention all the restructuring and bracing of the new firewall).
The G28 was a popular kit because it was close enough to the actual car (length, width, wheelbase, height), and could be made darn near perfect with just some minor body changes. It was made to bolt right on to a stretched Fiero, which have always been redily available and affordable.
I'm anxious to see how your car comes out, and I hope you post a build diary to show your progress  :)

LamboJayso

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
Man, you guys (Tallon, No Bull, & Murcie-Me) must have been the lucky bunch to get a kit with "just fine" fitting batwings. The rest of us weren't so lucky. Here's what another member on here had to do to make things fit on his build for anyone out there considering buying a G28 kit.

The overall quality of the G28 kit is completely unacceptable. And no way should anyone spend a little bit of their time much less the majority of their time "slicing & dicing" everything just to get it to the proper contour. Starting with an already perfectly fitting panel should be the standard for any kit. There are bigger and more important fishes to fry when building, rather than spending your time re-working something that should have already been good in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:18:52 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »
The curve of the top of my g28 wings matches the body just fine I think some people just had warped wings
You know the rule, post a pic of your wing fitting "just fine" or it didn't happen. I'm just speaking from experience and my g28 wings weren't warped btw. I also know from experience that nothing on the G28 fits "just fine."

Hahahahahah!!!! Good point Jayso! (my batwings fit fine also though, i'd have to agree with Tallon on that one)  :)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
My G28 batwings fit fine once I cut them from the roadster engine cover but my engine cover had serious warp so I've elected to go with a OEM styled roadster engine cover (inside and outside panels) and OEM styled bat wings that will sit in the quarters like the originals are supposed to.  I know that there will be some reworking to the G28 head rests and to the quarters but I think the end product will be worth it.  I've also ordered my OEM styled rear bumper and even though it has nothing to do with the batwings but I figured that I'd mention it.  :)

Chris
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:02:24 PM by No Bull »

LamboJayso

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
The curve of the top of my g28 wings matches the body just fine I think some people just had warped wings
You know the rule, post a pic of your wing fitting "just fine" or it didn't happen. I'm just speaking from experience and my g28 wings weren't warped btw. I also know from experience that nothing on the G28 fits "just fine."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:24:46 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »

LamboJayso

Complete Murcielago Batwings For Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
After receiving feedback from a buyer who recently purchased my batwing sides, the fit is close enough where you can slightly modify the G28 quarters to accept complete batwings. I know from previously building a G28, the contour of the top side of the batwing that comes attached to the hatch is not even the same as the body. So to kill two birds with one stone, I'm offering complete batwings (top & bottom) with hinges included and the source to purchase the actuator to get her working. Total package is $525 shipped. If you're only interested in the top half of the batwing, it's $250 shipped but then of course you'd have to make a metal frame to hinge underneath, connect the actuator to, and bond the top half to get her working. The sides alone are $125 shipped.

The fit on a G28:

My complete wings:

The hinge included:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:06:18 AM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso