Author Topic: Aluminum Headlight Rings - Any Interest?  (Read 9359 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Aluminum Headlight Rings - Any Interest?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 03:09:18 AM »
It looks wrong though, the holes look to small, and theres no outside taper. The inside bevel looks concave, and why does it have 3 mounting tabs on it ?(the OEM's only have 2), Isnt that gonna make it impossible to mount in the bucket? Theres no inside relief to allow for the body of the lamp either. I'm not knocking them, they just dont seem like they would work though.

The pictures I posted yesterday are of parts being milled and in process.  The insides still need to be milled out to remove the material from the backs, the taper will be added and the holes are simple enough to fix.  The pictures are of parts at 1:00 AM in the morning and I just wanted to snap a few shots of them before leaving his shop (about 1.5 hours from me) to show everyone that was waiting for a progress report.

As for the third lug, He intentionally cuts them with the three lugs so he has three lugs to bolt the part down to the fixture he made for positioning and milling.  The one lug is longer than the other two (look closely at the lug at the top of the fixture) and that's so the section of the lug that has the bolt going thru it can be cut away just leave a mounting tab that will fit into a slot that you cut into your bucket.  One minor difference is that he's not milling in the extra little "barrels" on the backside of the lugs simply because this takes more time and they serve no real benefit to us on our replica buckets.

I'm posting the pictures of the OEM rings below so you can compare to the rings being milled.  Be sure to remember to compare the small rings together and not the small ring to the large ring since there are a couple differences other than diameter.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:28:18 AM by No Bull »

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 01:14:44 AM »
It looks wrong though, the holes look to small, and theres no outside taper. The inside bevel looks concave, and why does it have 3 mounting tabs on it ?(the OEM's only have 2), Isnt that gonna make it impossible to mount in the bucket? Theres no inside relief to allow for the body of the lamp either. I'm not knocking them, they just dont seem like they would work though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:21:32 AM by Murci-Me »

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
The finish surface quality is really nice.  ::thumbup Are you adding the taper to the outside? What aluminum did you use?

Onewickedsvt

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
Amazing works of art.

Good job all around!

I wish I can spare it. I just plopped down about 1200 for door hinges, hatch hinges and right door complete latch assembly.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »
The small rings where cut yesterday and I have some pictures to share.  There are several tool changes involved and he had to make a couple fixtures to hold the parts in the multi-stage machining process.  We stayed up to about 1:00 AM this morning getting them to the stage before an angle can be cut into the lugs and the back side of the ring is carved out.  The longer 3rd lug will become a tab that slides into a slot cut in the buckets (just like OEM). 

The price is still $250 plus shipping (full set - 2 Large & 2 Small) for anyone that's still seriously interested. 

I'm not selling these parts and I'm actually the first customer.  In order to make the project as attractive as possible for Jeff (his time and material plus a little profit) I'm trying to help build some orders for him.  He's making five sets to start with of which three are already sold. 

Next project could be a machined Reventon gas cap and filler system (with filler tube).

Chris
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:26:55 PM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
 ::headbang  The first of the headlight rings are getting cut out tonight and I should have some pictures really soon.

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

This shouldn't be a problem and I'll post some CAD drawings with dimensions as soon as he has some ready.

Thanks,

Chris

I do have CAD drawings I have made [Metric of course] if you would like them. :)

Absolutely... please send them over to me. 

I'll send you my email address in a PM.

Chris

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:08 AM »

This shouldn't be a problem and I'll post some CAD drawings with dimensions as soon as he has some ready.

Thanks,

Chris

I do have CAD drawings I have made [Metric of course] if you would like them. :)
Oooh , Red leather.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
Thx for the reply. If not too much hassle, could you post a pic of your lights or are the the same as on the ebay listing?

regards
jackal

Not a problem and I'll snap a couple pictures when they come in (about two weeks delivery).

Thanks,

Chris

Jackal

• Vigilante builder
  • Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Everything is about physics .... even physics!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »
Thx for the reply. If not too much hassle, could you post a pic of your lights or are the the same as on the ebay listing?

regards
jackal

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:23:12 AM »
Hi guys where do you actually get the projection headlights for those rings?

I bought mine from a friend who has a small business that deals in custom headlights and other accessories.  The premium set I bought isn't cheap and they set me back nearly $550 but included the following:

1. 2 x small HID projectors with shutters
2. 2 x medium HID projectors with shutters
3. 2 x 55w ballast
4. Wiring harness set

Here is a 35watt kit on EBay (minus what appears to be 2 x medium projectors) -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retrofit-Package-35W-Micro-Mini-Bi-xenon-Projector-Slim-HID-Ballast-H1-kit-/181046521192?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2736ad68&vxp=mtr

Let me know if anyone is interested in ordering a set from my friend (please send a PM).

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »
I would actually want the lower mounting lug , I am  using original spec HID lights so would want all mounts and correct dimensions.

Thanks,

Chris

Jackal

• Vigilante builder
  • Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Everything is about physics .... even physics!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 05:07:27 AM »
Hi guys where do you actually get the projection headlights for those rings?

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:56:21 AM »
I would actually want the lower mounting lug , I am  using original spec HID lights so would want all mounts and correct dimensions.
Oooh , Red leather.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
Hi,
Yes - very interested . Question , would they be to original specs in there entirety or would , for instance the lower lug be missing ? .
Thanks

Is there a preference?  I'm assuming you might want the lower lug gone so they fit inside the replica buckets or will fit a larger projector?

Thanks,

Chris