Author Topic: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas  (Read 27853 times)

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
Everyone has there own ideas, that is what this thread is about "Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas" Not one of the ideas here are wrong, some may be advanced, some maybe  ::duh simple, it all depends what you want out of your car and the quality you want it done. I like the idea being OEM or as close as, since we are building REPLICAS, so I like the idea of my batwings coming up with a thermostat control and I also like the idea of being able to manually bring them up/down if one so chooses (like OEM). I personally am not going to buy 2 actuators at $150 bucks a piece or OEM (at whatever crazy price) when I can just use one actuator and a steel rod that runs from one side to the other and pivots making both batwings go up and down even....  ::salute

Similar to the picture

$150 each?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Linear-Actuator-225lb-Adjustable-Stroke-12-Volt-DC-/130437730202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5eb1cf9a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-Actuator-2-Stroke-225-Pound-Max-Lift-12-or-24-Volt-DC-Heavy-Duty-/320948568171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aba06806b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Linear-Actuator-4-Stroke-225-Pound-Max-Lift-12-Volt-DC-/330931244671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0d0a0e7f

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-High-Performance-Linear-Actuator-225lb-with-Potentiometer-Output-12-Volt-DC-/110854428819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf705893&vxp=mtr]http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-High-Performance-Linear-Actuator-225lb-with-Potentiometer-Output-12-Volt-DC-/110854428819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf705893&vxp=mtr
[/url]

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DEWERT-MEGAMAT-MBZ-heavy-duty-linear-actuator-8-stroke-1300lb-12V-or-24Volt-/251285088449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a81c228c1]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DEWERT-MEGAMAT-MBZ-heavy-duty-linear-actuator-8-stroke-1300lb-12V-or-24Volt-/251285088449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a81c228c1
[/url]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-12V-DC-Remote-Control-Kit-for-Linear-Actuators-Progressive-Automations-/281104149093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41731cea65[/url]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:20:33 PM by Murci-Me »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »
One more time.. this site is about sharing your build ideas, not criticizing other members or attacking a different approach to solving a universal problem!

Some ideas may be different and some ideas might involve more or less parts than other ideas..  WHO CARES!  The purpose of this site is to see all the ideas and help others decide on which way they build their cars.

There are no rules about how you do it as long as you do it and the quality and money you decide to spend is the builders choice.  Let's stop making this so personal, share the ideas and focus on building cars. 

Everyone has their own level of what quality and authenticity means to them so respect that and let's move on.

Chris

Murci-Me

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
Alot of you may not know this but Lamborghini has a tail on the back of their batwings. And this is there b/c it does two things. It acts as a mechanical stop and stabilizes the wing in its raised position.

So what you're saying is, the wing has a "mechanical" stop Jayso? Hmmm..........

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
I've deleted a couple posts that were off topic about bat wings and beginning to become more personal about another member.  Let's keep this on topic and if you have an issue with someone, ignore their posts or report them to the admins and we'll try to use best judgement and determine if the member is causing problems or just trying to be helpful. 

There are 100 different ways of building bat wings and I welcome all the ideas here.  It's up to the builder to decide which method they'll use or if they'll figure out the 101th way.   ::thumbup

Thanks,

Chris

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
Alot of you may not know this but Lamborghini has a tail on the back of their batwings. And this is there b/c it does two things. It acts as a mechanical stop and stabilizes the wing in its raised position.

-Jayso

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
Everyone has there own ideas, that is what this thread is about "Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas" Not one of the ideas here are wrong, some may be advanced, some maybe simple, it all depends what you want out of your car and the quality you want it done. I like the idea being OEM or as close as, since we are building REPLICAS, so I like the idea of my batwings coming up with a thermostat control and I also like the idea of being able to manually bring them up/down if one so chooses (like OEM). I personally am not going to buy 2 actuators at $150 bucks a piece or OEM (at whatever crazy price) when I can just use one actuator and a steel rod that runs from one side to the other and pivots making both batwings go up and down even....  ::salute

Similar to the picture

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:36:21 PM by No Bull »

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
I paid $8 each at the junkyard for the window motors. These motors rarely (if at all) fail, and since they only make 1/2 revolution, they will last longer than the car lol. The lever ataches directly to the drive of the motor, and an adjustable link goes from the arm to the wing. The whole set-up is about 6" long. It is designed to stop the motor mechanically in the up and down position, not electronically. The system is controlled by a single momentary switch, and a single DPDT relay.

OK, so you mounted two motors, made two adjustable linkages and control it with a momentary switch and a relay.  This gives you a manually activated drive only and while using a momentary switch you somehow change direction of the batwings so they go down too.
There is no electric limit switch to turn the electric power off to the drive so it is possible to continue powering the motor at end of travel and you rely on a mechanical stop to prevent over-travel. 
The batwings do not open when the cooling system requires, only when you want them to open.
My suggestion requires only one motor drive, the addition of two end of travel switches, two more relays, and a cross shaft to match your system.  Add a temperature switch and they will work like they are supposed to.
I guess that would be too complicated to make them work like they should.
I'm glad you like your batwings and I'm sure they work just fine.
You really need to be more open to ideas and see them for their worth.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

Murci-Me

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
I paid $8 each at the junkyard for the window motors. These motors rarely (if at all) fail, and since they only make 1/2 revolution, they will last longer than the car lol. The lever ataches directly to the drive of the motor, and an adjustable link goes from the arm to the wing. The whole set-up is about 6" long. It is designed to stop the motor mechanically in the up and down position, not electronically. The system is controlled by a single momentary switch, and a single DPDT relay.

RT

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
you have too many parts that will fail during use. why not keep things simple and just use an electronic actuator? just daisy chain both of them together, hook it up to a switch and power supply and your done.

BINGO!
All this talk of linkage and sway bars and 3 relay systems with timers and temperature switches is far to complicated, its like re-inventing the wheel. Remember, "KISS" (keep it simple stupid)

The temperature control will make the batwings do what they are supposed to do: open when needed.
The relays provide a simple way to have them return to closed position when they are not required.
The manuals switch is for those who want to "play".  I explained the timer, only suggested IF you use a manual switch.
The cross shaft drive will keep the batwing motion synchronized and only require one motor.  Independent motor drives might not move equally.
Good, sound, mechanical construction will not fail any more than any factory builds which are far more complicated.

RT
I understand what you're saying, but the whole linkage and fulcrum and and syncronization is not necessary. I've had my bat wings working for years, and have never had a problem. They run off 2 independent motors, and go up and down in unison evry time. I made a simple lever that attaches to a window motor (camaro headlight motors work just as well) that locks in the up position, and in the down position.

Murci-Me,
You say you used two window motor drives.  Window motor drives are good but two cost more and present two chances for failure.
What stops the motor drive at end of travel?
You also say you made a lever on the drive.  That is times two, one for each motor drive.
They must be connected to the batwings with something.  What?
The batwings do go up and down with motor drive but what causes the drives to run?
Are you using a manual switch?  SPDT?  DPDT?  An automatic switch?  Is the switch momentary contact?
Any pictures of the drives?

RT

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
By the way...

I have a "Motor with cables"  assembly (bat wing actuator) Brand new and since I am no longer going to build a Revention I do not need it.... Make me a offer

Thanks
CCIE

Murci-Me

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
you have too many parts that will fail during use. why not keep things simple and just use an electronic actuator? just daisy chain both of them together, hook it up to a switch and power supply and your done.

BINGO!
All this talk of linkage and sway bars and 3 relay systems with timers and temperature switches is far to complicated, its like re-inventing the wheel. Remember, "KISS" (keep it simple stupid)

The temperature control will make the batwings do what they are supposed to do: open when needed.
The relays provide a simple way to have them return to closed position when they are not required.
The manuals switch is for those who want to "play".  I explained the timer, only suggested IF you use a manual switch.
The cross shaft drive will keep the batwing motion synchronized and only require one motor.  Independent motor drives might not move equally.
Good, sound, mechanical construction will not fail any more than any factory builds which are far more complicated.

RT
I understand what you're saying, but the whole linkage and fulcrum and and syncronization is not necessary. I've had my bat wings working for years, and have never had a problem. They run off 2 independent motors, and go up and down in unison evry time. I made a simple lever that attaches to a window motor (camaro headlight motors work just as well) that locks in the up position, and in the down position.
Yes, good mechanical construction will not fail, but it is not necessary to run a bar from one side of the car to the other to make the batwings work. That is just a poor design, no matter how well built.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:21:39 PM by Murci-Me »

RT

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »

BINGO!

RT
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:09:09 PM by RT »

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
Well I have a very simple design..... But mind you I am only building a Diablo....

Here is my design.... Please review Picture below....

After locating the fulcrum point, mount wings
Pull string to raise the wings.
use a stick for the next step
poke with a stick or push with the stick to close the bat wings
at high speed wings might rotate...
use base ball bat if wings do not align properly...
If string gets tangled at high speed. yelling profanity generally eliminates the frustration. beating the steering wheel comm the nerves but careful the high price of the replica steering wheel might cause additional pain for some..... :P :P :P :P :P
JUST DON'T GO tal on ME ABOUT MY SUPER SECRET DESIGN ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:51:14 PM by CCIE »

Murci-Me

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »

BINGO!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:11:51 PM by Murci-Me »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
This is just something a came up with I've seen some really small sway bars on some Fiesteva's and Geo's. This way they both come up and go down at the exact same time and no worries about flopping wings!

Here is where I order all of my electronics from pololo.com and here is all of there actuators http://www.pololu.com/search?query=actuator&x=0&y=0 And here is all of the actuators with feedback (like I will be using) http://www.pololu.com/search?query=actuator+with+feedback&x=11&y=8

My actuator moves 1/2 a second (not sure if it will be fast enough tho)

Murcielago Replica Lamborghini First Start
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:40:52 AM by usmc_butler »