Author Topic: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas  (Read 28129 times)

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
Re: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »
Appreciate it bud, I'll be going to the junkyard this weekend to pull some door latches from an old Mercedes I saw last week.  I'll pickup the momentary switch at radio shack tomorrow to see if I can have this figured out this weekend.  If it doesn't work out then I'm going to have to ask you for help with a wiring diagram.
Pedro

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:09 AM »
The relays are cheap, available at Radio Shack or other electronic supply stores (Frys) for about $6. I just salvage them at the junkyard. If you dont have any luck tracking some down, just LMK and I can send you a couple N/C.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
As always you are correct Mike, I should've explained better that the window rocker switch is the one that reverses the polarity of the motor.  Those motors have two wires only.  I will check tomorrow on that DPDT relay to see what I can find.  Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes.
Pedro

Murci-Me

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »
I like to use power window motor drives to activate my devices.  They are cheap (usually abput $25 - $45 in a used parts yard) and are easy to mount.  Add limit switches to the end of travel to stop power to the motor.  In the case of the batwings, a radiator temperature switch that controls fans can trigger a relay to open the wings and when the signal from that switch stops the loss of signal returns the relay and powers the wing down drive.
I would use one motor with linkage to both batwings to save work and money and so they move together.

RT

I have the vent window motors from a Windstar that I would like to use to control my batwings.  I would like to control them with the button on the center console for them to go up and down.  The problem is that these particular motors are reverse polarity, meaning they only have two wires.  Will it be possible to control these with a momentary switch?  How would I do it?  What type of relay would I need (as described in the quote above) that when there is a loss of power it will return the wings to the down position?

Here is a picture of the switch I would like to use; it’s located on the center console right below the radio.

In all my years i've never heard of a reverse polarity motor, but what you are trying to achieve can be done easily with a momentary switch and a DPDT 12v relay.
You wouldnt set it up to be constantly powered, just supply the current when you want the wing to up, cut the power when its in its upright position, then use the relay to reverse the polarity  of the current supplied to the motor to lower the wing.
My console has the OEM arrangement of switches, and I use the same momentary switch to both raise and lower the wings.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I like to use power window motor drives to activate my devices.  They are cheap (usually abput $25 - $45 in a used parts yard) and are easy to mount.  Add limit switches to the end of travel to stop power to the motor.  In the case of the batwings, a radiator temperature switch that controls fans can trigger a relay to open the wings and when the signal from that switch stops the loss of signal returns the relay and powers the wing down drive.
I would use one motor with linkage to both batwings to save work and money and so they move together.

RT

I have the vent window motors from a Windstar that I would like to use to control my batwings.  I would like to control them with the button on the center console for them to go up and down.  The problem is that these particular motors are reverse polarity, meaning they only have two wires.  Will it be possible to control these with a momentary switch?  How would I do it?  What type of relay would I need (as described in the quote above) that when there is a loss of power it will return the wings to the down position?

Here is a picture of the switch I would like to use; it’s located on the center console right below the radio.

Pedro

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:51 AM »
21v3^

jb1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
Jrk.12v3   works just like servo with position feedback

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
I've heard of at least 8 different ways to do this and they all work from what I've seen.  I'm with you on this one Dustin and I'm going with the linear actuators as well.  There are a couple of "out of the box" multi position controllers designed for use with the actuators that can make the job simpler.  If you are wanting something closer to OEM, the actuators are used on the original.  Since you are using a Arduino board, you can use a multitude of input sensors (GPS, temperature, magnetic pulse, light, water, contact etc).  What type of 12 volt relay are you using for the actuators?  Does the board treat the actuator as a servo and tracks position or uses the limit switches for full open and closed positions?

Thanks,

Chris

jb1

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Vf1 , slowing  them  down is easy. Just  use a rheostat  on the ground  and use it  to adjust  speed, just  like  how u dim and brighten  your dash lights

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
The 4" actuators I use from pololu are around 100 bucks (I would use 1 to move both wings) anyway it moves .5" a second and will hold 500lbs and push/pull 150lbs. Wich is about the same speed as OEM and plenty strong for a fair price. The actuators also have built in safety limiters!

jb1

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
Jdinner ,  a lot  of the idea with bat wing  controller with linear  is  in conjunction with the paddle shift, using the same arduino  that  controls paddle  shift  also control  the actuator for the bat wings.  The only additional cost would be the  extra actuator.

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
RT has always done amazing work and this descriptor is ideal too. The linear actuator above is also brilliant for the radiator intake panels but probably expensive.
Follow RT's advice and add relays with limit switches in conjunction with temperature switches to run your radiator intake panels.

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

jb1

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
 the fan relay would  be fine to use  to trigger  2 more relays  and drive the  bat wings, they would open at 220 and close below that, pretty good and simple idea.. the code I am working on   for the odometer  can also  print the speed. 
  I thought about  using that  to make the bat wings open and close depending on speed, just  more for visual effect of  taking off  and hitting 30 mph the wings start to open, same can be used on a rear spoiler.
 I just got lcd in today and  will  try to get code tested and finished  this week for odometer , and add in   output functions to drive actuator for spoiler  or bat wings

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
Jim that's just my plan for my build nobody has to do anything I do. If I am not mistaken on the OEM cars the bat wings go down at high speeds due to wind on the wings and to keep them form separating from the body (around 100 I beleive). Second my welding skills have nothing to do with my fiberglass skills, my bat wings are Fiberglass not metal. Thank you for your other input, all suggestions will be taken in.

Later tomorrow I will be cleanin up the paddle shift diary and updating it with wiring diagrams and the code to make it functional. The only reason in bringing other options (ie. batwings, rear spoiler) up on that thread is due to the fact that I will be using the same box and same electronics to run my bat wings and spoiler.

Dustin