Author Topic: More Diablo Roadster engine deck lid vents?  (Read 3802 times)

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: More Diablo Roadster engine deck lid vents?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »
Tony,

I removed that fiberglass panel from the car that blocks truck & engine bay.  Replaced it with a smaller piece of aluminum.  I also cut out that rear section that Jim is talking about, I cut large rectangles out leaving a 1/2" lip & enough area in the center to catch the rear latch. 
I've also seen were dale added fans to push heat from the engine bay of his 6.0 replica to move the heat

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:10:52 PM »
Is it possible to cut out the rear grill fiberglass and cut out the forward wall of the rear trunk to get some air moving that way too?
This only help when installing the turbo.
If you are doing paint anyway, how about changing the latch system to two outboard latches so the center can be cut out properly?

Already ahead of you on the out board latches, got those installed already. Forgive the quick & dirty photoshop but I think I looking for something more like the vents on the ebay link before. If I put them right where the vents are in the photoshop pic they will work the best. The one on the drivers side is right where the turbo is going to be.

Second pic is my helper....

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:24:19 PM »
Is it possible to cut out the rear grill fiberglass and cut out the forward wall of the rear trunk to get some air moving that way too?
This only help when installing the turbo.
If you are doing paint anyway, how about changing the latch system to two outboard latches so the center can be cut out properly?

tonypaul

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
Yeah that area on the DnR hood is real thick with a latch right there.

I have the 4t65ehd so no clutch fluid, plastic parts, ect. There is also no wiring or hood struts in that area so all is good. The turbo I have is pretty large in size but right above the trans is the best place I can put it. It all depends on how long the transmission lives in its stock form till I put all the turbo stuff in. I have a 80hp dry nitrous shot on it now and it seems to be holding so far. I do have a really good external cooler with its own electic fan so the temps never get over 170 degrees on the trans.

Its the engine compartment thats retaining the heat from the engine so I got of get some kind of vents on somewhere to get the heat out....

Almost all the D&R engine deck lids I have seen did not have the rear center scoop cut out either. That would help also. Compare the center rear of the engine lid under the wing.
If you install a turbo, all bets are off for heat issues. Clutch fluid will boil, hoses and plastic parts will melt along with wiring and the deck lid struts will explode if the temperatures get too high.

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
Almost all the D&R engine deck lids I have seen did not have the rear center scoop cut out either. That would help also. Compare the center rear of the engine lid under the wing.
If you install a turbo, all bets are off for heat issues. Clutch fluid will boil, hoses and plastic parts will melt along with wiring and the deck lid struts will explode if the temperatures get too high.

tonypaul

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
Have you wrapped your exhaust with header wrap?

No need to add in extra vents. Duct the side rocker scoops into the engine bay and is your rear grill cut out? Many with the D&R didn't cut out the rear grill.

I ordered some more exhaust wrap last friday to wrap the crossover, but no its not done yet. And no I didnt cut out the rear grill. They way that the DnR did their rear hood around the rear grill area its impossible to open that area up. Kinda hard to explain....

I will be adding a turbo to the LS4 "when"  the transmission goes out, I already have 80% of the turbo stuff sitting here. I want to put the turbo above the trans so I figure some more vents would be a good idea anyway....

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:43:51 AM »
Have you wrapped your exhaust with header wrap?

No need to add in extra vents. Duct the side rocker scoops into the engine bay and is your rear grill cut out? Many with the D&R didn't cut out the rear grill.

tonypaul

More Diablo Roadster engine deck lid vents?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
Ok my Diablo brothers (or anyone else),

As the Texas summer heat continues to increase so is the inside of my cabin of my Diablo. I drove the Diablo to a car show other day/night and noticed my engine temps were a little more higher than normal and there was a lot of heat radiating off my firewall. My engine temps never got over 200 degrees but the LS4 in my car hardly ever gets over 170 degrees.

I could feel my interior getting alot warmer just from the drivetrain heat even though I have 2 layers of Fatmat on the inside of the firewall. With my LS6 engine cover on the engine the cover blocks the one and only vent going outside the the hood. On my trip home I removed the LS6 engine cover and it was considerable cooler with the engine hood vent open.

The next day I put on just the center section piece of the replica Lamborghini engine cover and while it covers less of the hood vent it is still not enough to properly vent out all the heat.

Has anyone added extra vents to their hoods to help the heat vent out better? Since Im about to repaint the car now would be the time to install some. I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380611401020?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 which dont look completely bad but I would still like some other options.
Any ideas???