Poll

When sitting in a car and facing forward, if the steering wheel is on the left side, is this a "Left Hand" drive car?

Yes - LH side drive
11 (91.7%)
No - RH side drive
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: October 03, 2013, 02:11:48 PM

Author Topic: LH drive or RH drive  (Read 2582 times)

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: LH drive or RH drive
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
I drive with my knee at times lol

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
Then there is the case of a Driver's Training vehicle.  How about a peddle car?  Rally cars drive in the center of the road sometimes.  Some Nascar vehicles drive in the air as well as Indy cars too.  My mother inlaw drove from the back seat but I think she was right handed.  Some people can drive right handed and left handed so this would lead you to believe that a RH drive with the Left Hand can be done on the Right side of the road????????? 
Jim

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:44:36 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
I had a friend who lived in Scotland.  They drive on the left side of the road there.  I asked her, "When you walk down a crowded hallway, on which side of the hall do you walk?"  She said, "The left of course."
That system carries over to walking too.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
I also found an article that said "Which hand is steering the vehicle when your other hand is on the gear shift?".  However, some people are born with two left hands.  I think that my dad said that. (was he referring to me????)  When I was dating (yes, we had cars) I was told to keep both hands on the wheel.  No, I'm not going to tell.  (Married 47 years)

Jim
Retired

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
LH steering on left drive on rh. how about plane that's coming from RH Countries?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
Let the polling begin and the members decide what Left Hand side will mean for this site.   ::toothy

After we align on that one, the next question will be... If you are sitting in the front seat of a McLaren F1, is this LH or RH drive?    ::scratch

Chris

LEFT-HAND

cause you have to get in on the left?????

That works for me.  :D

Chris
Let the polling begin and the members decide what Left Hand side will mean for this site.   ::toothy

After we align on that one, the next question will be... If you are sitting in the front seat of a McLaren F1, is this LH or RH drive?    ::scratch

Chris

LEFT-HAND

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »

Chris

LEFT-HAND

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

Chris

CCIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »
I just know this that my wife is driving me crazy and I want to find a country where driving crazy is illegal.
ya ya I know I know
I told my wife that driving crazy in America is illegal
but she said "well lets talk to my attorney"
AND THEN.......
I looked in my garage........
At my kids...............
In my pockets............ 

And quietly decided to believe her that
one can indeed drive crazy in America....

CCIE
 ::tongue ::tongue ::beers ::beers ::) ::) >:( >:( ::) ::) :o :o :o :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:56:51 PM by CCIE »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
LH drive or RH drive
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
There seems to be some confusion as to what is meant by Left Hand Drive.  (Are they talking about which side of the car has the steering wheel or which side of the road they drive on)  Being in the "Auto" business for over 40 years here in the USA, LH drive has always meant that the steering wheel is mounted on the LH side of the car and NOT which side of the road you drive on.  The following recent article clarifies the misconception.  disclaimer: Texting, Ceil phone usage, talking, etc are exempt

Sierra Leone used right-hand drive vehicles when it was a British colony.  But soon after independence in 1960, the country switched to left-hand driving as it is more common around the world.  Minister of Transportation and Aviation Leonard Balogun Koroma implemented the ban at the beginning of this month, but said it has actually been illegal to drive them for two years in Sierra Leone.  "The road traffic regulation act of 2011 states no vehicle that has its steering apparatus fitted on right-hand side of a vehicle shall be allowed to register or operate on the streets," he noted.

Let's say that you imported a Chevy Camaro to England.  Is it then referred to as a RH drive?  NO  The rule that refers to the location of the steering wheel covers all manufactured automobiles with exception for those with center mounted steering apparatuses, of course.   You can, however, drive your LH-Drive car on either side of the road and even off-road.  Now, I'm confused.  ::scratch ::thumbup ::scratch ::study
Jim

Retired