Author Topic: "Armitage"... the Digibeam build area  (Read 48143 times)

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
Re: "Armitage"... the Digibeam build area
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2015, 09:25:29 PM »
I have been working on a few different areas but thought I would show the progression of a few more parts.
Presently I am still fortifying the B pillar area internal structure so more on that later.
I have cut out the front hood hinge assembly and though I still need to make the rivets to hold them together they are as they are and a big thank you to String for his original posting of the file some time ago on the forum.
Next I have created the face panel for the hvac display. Yes it is metal and I am using it as a basis to build the carbon fiber version, but for now it is the correct size and design so again future postings will show progress.
I have cut out and formed the rear firewall window frame.
This is obviously a heavy requirement for any tube chassis with that engine sitting inches away, steel has a slightly slower burn through than fiberglass... Not suggesting it could or will happen, but when a very high percentage of the OEM cars have in fact been lost through engine compartment fires, whatever gives you the upper hand in time... It's always worth the effort.
Thank you for taking a look.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:27:27 PM by Digibeam »

plans4sale

• Liked: 60
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2014, 06:46:49 AM »
 Nice job on the cam washers! The feeling to build it yourself worth the time and effort! As far as laser cut/water-jet cut companies go, they are just shy to ask you big money for small cut parts. :) It's same principle in every business.
Custom 3d car & chassis design: https://www.facebook.com/sportni.koli.3
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

Digibeam

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Autopro:
I remember seeing a picture of yours and even then I was thinking maybe I could go through you to get them which seems incredible when water jet people abound up here, something like 28 companies in BC mainland and island,  but I let it go for that time,.
Then going through my image files several days ago I came across the image of your water cut cam washers.
I guess they could be bought or substituted, I know the Porsche ones work. But making them just adds that extra thing to the list of "I did it myself"  and in the end, specially with a tube chassis build, that is the original intention, to make it all yourself.
And two thumbs up for your present build by the way, should be done in no time at the rate you are going.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2014, 09:28:24 AM »
I also had the hardest time finding someone to make me those little things and then it took them about two weeks to get them made.  Well done on those!
Pedro

Digibeam

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »
Well, it is getting to be that time of year, I haven't been working on much, still waiting on a few things but in the mean time, I remembered I was very much in need of these cam washers.... It was always like pulling teeth to get a water jet guy to cut them for what ever of the reasons they like to give not to cut small things..... So I made my own and I am happy with the way they came out and will work perfect for me.
I will modify the bolts and after I do I will post the finished assembly.
Enjoy

Digibeam

« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
Those parts are 18g cold rolled, as there will be several layers of various panels (thicker gauge) sandwiched in interesting positions, along with the parts being formed, then spot welded, more than adequate when combined with the heavy walled frame structure.
Other parts such as gussets etc are a far thicker gauge regardless of what you see in the pictures they do not always reflect the final part to be installed. I am merely displaying progress of fabrication.
Thanks for the interest.

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
What Gauge are you making those out of?
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Digibeam

« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »
Plans4sale,
It is the bottom of the B pillar, here is another image of one I just recently cut, the first one didn't have the flanges, you can see the two parts which will eventually be bead formed and spot welded together.

plans4sale

« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
 Seems quite uncommon shape for a B-pillar part (after the door window, I suppose?). Where this piece will go onto your chassis?  :)
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »
Honestly that part looks much better then the original. The original part is stamped which makes it much easier then having to roll all of that. It looks great

Digibeam

« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2014, 12:11:46 AM »
String,  always a pleasure to bring one of your very talented CAD files to life,

RT, thank you for those words, i know from you it has well grounded intentions, you are after all the main reason i got into this hobby.

Purple, thank you for the compliments and the heads up, but... i actually cut all these parts with zero lead in, it was intentional for several reasons, first to identify and second because they are first run parts for myself, once i fit and form, make a few errors with bends etc i will more than likely recut the parts for a final install part. but again, thank you for the reminder.

plans for sale,  well, what can i say, i am just wanting to build one of your frames...

and speaking of goofing, here is a trial run on beading the lower B pillar part, its odd size requires both front and rear side rolling and also inversion of the rollers... maybe i need a roller with a deeper throat depth,  but i still got it done for the most part, and not a final part by any means.
thank you guys.

plans4sale

« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
 Really nice job! ::beers Having to fabricate things like this is what I like most in the home built cars.

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2014, 09:26:16 AM »
Really putting that Plasma to good use, parts look great! Try moving your pierce point to the inside of the cut, should clean them up a bit!
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
digibeam…
You better watch out.  If you keep it up, you just might "ruin" the image people have of those "Cheap POS replicas".
You might change the entire WORLD!

Nice work.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2014, 06:21:10 AM »
That is just too cool ,  ::thumbup
Great to see a drawing come to life .

::thumbup
Oooh , Red leather.