Author Topic: Anybody have pics of a Diablo Roadster that has been vinyl wrapped?  (Read 5091 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: Anybody have pics of a Diablo Roadster that has been vinyl wrapped?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
My personal opinion is that carbon fiber wrap is way overdone. I think the matte black would be a nice contrast to the brushed metal.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
Need advice~
Since Im going to have to do some of the wrap in pieces in a couple areas Im kinda thinking about a 2 tone with the wrap in these areas. I plan on keeping the lower part of the car in black as it is now either keeping the black plasti-coat or redoing with wrap.

In the pics below is where Im thinking about doing either a matte black wrap or some kind carbon fiber look wrap and if I do it I will be doing the bottom half of the car also in matching wrap. My thinking is if the seems dont look perfect I can run a thin pin strip on top. I seen a couple videos where they did this and it looked pretty good.

What you think I should do the whole car in the brushed aluminum wrap top to bottom or-
Everything in the brushed wrap but leave the bottom in black or-
In the areas marked with black "X's" where I have to do it in sections in a matte black or perhaps a carbon fiber look?

And if I should do the areas marked with a different wrap- should I stay with the matte black or go with a carbon fiber style?

tonypaul

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
From the chrome roadster description:

Project Brief:

"Why? Because he can, that’s why! Our customer wanted his Lambo to stand out in a crowd of exotics so we wrapped it chrome! This project took a ton of hours and patience, but the end result is definitely dramatic."

I belive it took a "TON" of hours and ALOT of patience...... Im blown away in the quality of the install of the wrap, no visable seams(atleast cant be seen in the pics) but personally the chrome is a little over the top for me. I have seen a pic of that chrome roadster befor but not those pics. Thanks for sharing~~~

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 04:58:53 PM »
some brands of the non-textured vinyl can be heat stretched over a foot then heat shrunk back to normal,  the chrome is nice initially, but after ten minutes it gets tired fast,  plus anything that rubs against it will leave a brushed scuf that you cannot get rid of...
as a contrast, did anyone look at this on ebay?   i am assuming it is not the reflection that is causing the surface issues....

I agree, chrome gets tired quick when it's overdone. That car pic looks like he wrapped it in tin foil.

Tallon

• Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
No, no body work. The pics show he wrapped over bare fiberglass not gelcoated or anything so it's really rough. Why would a body be in this state unless it was going to be preped for use as a plug?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:52:39 PM by Tallon »

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Poor body work underneath the wrap. you can't hide  just to slap some cover on top.
pure rubbish even for free.

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
some brands of the non-textured vinyl can be heat stretched over a foot then heat shrunk back to normal,  the chrome is nice initially, but after ten minutes it gets tired fast,  plus anything that rubs against it will leave a brushed scuf that you cannot get rid of...
as a contrast, did anyone look at this on ebay?   i am assuming it is not the reflection that is causing the surface issues....

***i have been kindly asked to remove the example photo***
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:16:29 PM by Digibeam »

Tallon

• Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
Ah relief, now that is how you wrap a car
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:55:40 AM by Tallon »

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
darn that looks sick
Siteupp.com

redhammer

• Liked: 40
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0

Digibeam

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:44:53 PM »
we tend to use a flame rather than a heat gun,  but then again  its way colder up here...  :)

BigPines

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »
Yeah, that brushed metal vinyl looks great. Not sure about a local place for you to get knifeless tape but of course there is a ton of it on eBay. Please post pics when you have a chance. I can't wait to see it.

tonypaul

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:48 PM »
Thanks for the responces! I think I got it figured out on how Im going to do it but its going to have to be in 2 pieces. That guy with the wrap business is right the brushed vinyl doesnt stretch as much as some of the other wraps I have worked with.  But Im not changing colors now, I have the front hood done, the roof and the rear trunk lid done. Tomorrow afternoon Im going to do the engine deck lid and maybe start the front bumper.

Thankfully I will have one of my friends helping me next week, doing this by myself is tough... I rigged up my heat gun on a photographers light stand blowing the heat where Im working. That helped alot but still need another set of hands holding the vinyl up. These cars being fibegrlass kinda sucks in the sense I cant use magnets like in some of the videos I watched.

I have also decided once Im done with my Diablo Im going to do my BMW 850i, this vinyl wrapping looks so freakin good~

ALSO- Is there any local stores that sell knifeless tape?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:09:03 PM by tonypaul »

BigPines

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:16 PM »
I think you are going to have to do it in more than one piece but I don't think that is a big deal. Just lay down some knifeless tape all along the bottom area where it meets the sides. The side and the edges look like they can be done in one piece if a cut is made to allow the vinyl to lay down without being stretched too much (lay this main part of the vinyl over the knifeless tape). Then lay a second piece to fill the bottom area. Pull the knifeless tape to cut perfect joining lines, pull out your waste material and everything should fit nice and tight. Nobody would ever notice the seam especially if the seam traveled with the brushed metal grain.

Not sure if that made any sense to you or not. ::duh

Digibeam

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
here is what i got as a response to your question:

"I suggest to use a different material like matte black or something else. maybe orange
there is no way to stretch the vinyl that much inside and he needs to use seams or some tricks with different materials. It looks better"

Razvan Duta
bcwraps@gmail.com
www.vehicle-wraps.ca | www.vehicle-graphics.ca

Feel free to contact him directly if you have any questions.