Author Topic: Phil's Folley --- Murcie Build  (Read 8473 times)

william

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 39
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
Re: Phil's Folley --- Murcie Build
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 06:43:43 AM »
Speechless. ...... that's awesome! Beautiful.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
Looks like you are getting close!
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

pparker

• Liked: 11
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Finally got the interior done.  Busted the budget!  As has been recommended on this site, when you do a budget with your best estimate of costs, double it!  I used all Alcantara suede on the interior, ordered two yards at $110/yard....not enough so I ordered another yard....not enough so I ordered a fourth yard.  Have just a little left over.  With the suede and a few carbon fiber trim pieces, I have about $1,000 in the interior upholstery, excluding the seats.  Overall, I am happy with the results.

The go-cart is completely ready to go....everything works....runs great.  Anyone working on door hinges, don't make the same mistake I made.  I installed the doors and shocks, welded in the hinges.....all with the stock Fiero tires and wheels.  Fitted the large wheels and tires.....not enough clearance......had to cut the hinges out and redo the whole thing!   Cost me about three days labor. 

Ready for final sanding and paint......hopefully, it will be on the road by the beginning of winter. 

adifferentlook

• Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »
Phil your build is looking very good!
Anthony

pparker

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 01:44:53 PM »
Finally have a "go kart"!  Wiring of all the stock Pontiac stuff was much more difficult than I expected, but (with a dealer's rep helping), I now have all the stuff working (HVAC, On Star, XM radio, air bags, door and window controls, etc.).  The 3800 s.c. with the headers and pulley upgrade is really strong.  I ordered an exhaust from EBay which was small enough to fit the limited space.  By dumb luck, the thing sounds fantastic, not too loud, a low growl.  Next task is to finish off the interior and paint.  Hope to be done by the end of the summer. 

pparker

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
.For the lexan windows i cut poster board to the correct size and used that as a pattern Slight bow in the hatch covers to prevent sagging due to heat

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
Your build is going great!!! Just wanted to suggest: dont adjust your gas door lifts until everything is done. I adjusted mine before I got the finished door panels and speakers in and it ended up too soft to lift the doors the way I wanted.

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
Did you have a pattern for the rear hatch and quarter window parts? Or are they guesstimate that will fill the application?

pparker

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
More pictures...

pparker

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
I put my oven to work bending Lexan.  Bought the mar-resistant (expensive) 1/8" for the side windows and ΒΌ" for the engine covers.  I pre-tensioned the Lexan to the desired curvature and baked for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.  Worked fine except for one that fell down on the burner.  I also fashioned an under-nose panel with scoop for radiator cooling.  Am almost ready for paint.

pparker

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »
Easy way to do the batwings....I had some leftover stainless sheet metal and put a flange on it in a metal brake and bonded it to the rear.  May leave the stainless exposed?  Have not decided whether to activate or use in an open, fixed position.   Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.  The wing is hinged per the forum thread by No Bull.  Easy to do, works well.   My brother says the sanding mask interferes with smoking!

pparker

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
Finally got the doors done and fitted.  As previously stated on forum sites, the doors are a difficult job.  Had to remodel, cut, and fiberglass to fit.  Used Pontiac Grand Prix rear door motors and gears, front door tracks and rubber seals which have nearly the correct curvature.  Works very well and doors are designed so everything is accessible from the inside.  Had to adjust the doors, hinges, and latches at least 15 times to get the correct fit and function.  McMaster adjustable shocks are great, but I learned the hard way to tighten the gas release valve firmly as I lost gas in one shock.....$$$$$!!!  It's just money!

pparker

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
No plans for the oven.  I simply bought a double oven off Craig's List, cut the center section out, put it back together with sheet metal, rivets, and insulation.  Same with the double doors....combined them into a single door.  Works great and heats up to 400 degrees in about 15 minutes.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »
That powder coating oven is great, do you have any plans on how you made it?

Everything else on your car is looking very good, nice and clean job!
Pedro

pparker

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
I studied the options for mounting the engine and auto trans and decided to go all standard Pontiac.  I used both Pontiac mounts and welded in the dog bones.  I had to notch the chassis on the right side and extend the flat area for mounting.  Then I fabricated a new bracket for the left side and bolted to the cradle.  The engine oil pan sits about ΒΌ" above the cradle bottom.  Very easy and cheap to do plus with factory mount, I should have no vibrations, etc.  Axles are modified Gran Prix on the right and Fiero manual on the left.  To my surprise, the Grand Prix dash fits perfectly in the Fiero, but the HVAC required major cutting and fabrication to fit.  The end result will be massive heat and really cold A/C.  My wife does not like my seats!  Front and rear suspension has been completely rebuilt to stock 88 Fiero standards with all-poly bushings.  Did my first powder coating on the springs and arms.  It worked well.  My wife would not let me use her oven so I bought a double oven from Craig's List and converted it into a single large oven which works great.  It's large enough to bend or melt my Lexan door windows plus coat some pretty big stuff.   Body work, doors, and glass cutting are next on my list!  Of course, I have helpers!