Author Topic: Dashboard Kit - OEM Spec Murcielago, LP640, LP670 Dash  (Read 7378 times)

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
Re: Dashboard Kit - OEM Spec Murcielago, LP640, LP670 Dash
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
wow, thats crazy, though i do know about the transportation issue, i figured you could get it at a local supplier...
i wonder if you could buy it through a body shop?  not wanting to push the issue, but just find a solution.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
I suppose it is because resin and gelcoat contain styrene. From what I understand, you can't ship these products via USPS at all. UPS will deliver them in quantity to a business address only but also only with a hazmat surcharge. I will look around again for a local place to get supplies but I live in the people's republic of California so we have more costs and restrictions here than nearly every other state. Last time I checked, it was actually cheaper to have the stuff shipped to me than to buy it locally. Anyone who lives in So Cal and has a lead on inexpensive quality fiberglass supplies, I am all ears.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Digibeam

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
just curious, why do you get Hazmat charges on fiberglass components?  is this common in the USA? 

BigPines

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »
Guys, after looking at this objectively, it doesn't look like it is going to work out right now. I would definitely lose money on this in the short-term and I have other things I'd rather lose money on. ;)

But seriously, I was hoping to have a little more interest to make this doable. It looks like I could MAYBE sell 3 partial kits and that isn't even going to cover my material costs. The hazmat charges alone on this much resin are $150!

I know some of you will be disappointed and I am sorry. At some point down the road when there is either enough interest to make it worth it or I don't mind losing a little money in the short-term, I definitely plan to do this.

Mike

BigPines

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »
Unfortunately the instrument cluster "shark mouth" is a part that I have on order and I have a member that is making me a carbon fiber grab handle.  So basically all I need is the dash (top and bottom) and the panels that flow down to the console.  You'll probably find out that many guys here have picked up odd's and end's as they became available and there is a split of G28 / G24 and OEM sized bodies.

Thanks,

Chris
OK, it looks like I'll just have to offer all the parts separate since everyone seems to want something different. I'll come up with a price list. I am not planning to offer the shark mouth at all right now. Everyone is going to have to figure out what will work for them and modify parts or change plans on parts as necessary - whatever makes the most sense to them. These are OEM spec parts and I can only guarantee they will fit perfectly with other OEM parts. Again, it shouldn't be a big deal to make something fit if it doesn't fit perfect out of the gate.

BigPines

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Would a g28 shark mouth dash pod fit this dash?
Texas is making mine but shark mouth is g28 and I don't know the difference.

As for me i'll buy the 600 one with everything
I'm not sure where that shark mouth came from that Texas is molding. You may want to ask. If it is an OEM splashed part, yes it should fit perfect. If it is the one that came in the Car Kit, Inc. kit (or prior G28 kit), it will likely require modifications to fit. I would guess it is too small to fit without modifications. Again, no big deal to modify something like that compared to all the other stuff we have to do.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Yes, I want to do this. I'm just not sure how many people will commit yet so it is tough to come up with a firm price. I would like to price the kit at $500 without the heart attack handle or $600 with. Would you prefer the kit include the heart attack handle or not? I'd rather do this one way for all orders if possible. If a part you already have is included in the kit, keep the nicest one and you'll have an extra to sell.

So first order of business, with heart attack handle or without?

Unfortunately the instrument cluster "shark mouth" is a part that I have on order and I have a member that is making me a carbon fiber grab handle.  So basically all I need is the dash (top and bottom) and the panels that flow down to the console.  You'll probably find out that many guys here have picked up odd's and end's as they became available and there is a split of G28 / G24 and OEM sized bodies.

Thanks,

Chris

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »
Would a g28 shark mouth dash pod fit this dash?
Texas is making mine but shark mouth is g28 and I don't know the difference.

As for me i'll buy the 600 one with everything

BigPines

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
Thanks Digibeam. Anyone else want a vote?

Digibeam

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
i would say without, and without the knee pad... they are more of the console accessory parts i feel.
but $100 for a handle is a pretty good price.

BigPines

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Yes, I want to do this. I'm just not sure how many people will commit yet so it is tough to come up with a firm price. I would like to price the kit at $500 without the heart attack handle or $600 with. Would you prefer the kit include the heart attack handle or not? I'd rather do this one way for all orders if possible. If a part you already have is included in the kit, keep the nicest one and you'll have an extra to sell.

So first order of business, with heart attack handle or without?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
Cool. Seems like there may be a bit of interest in this. ;)

Digibeam, yes, I don't mind shipping ANYWHERE in the world but I have no idea what shipping costs would be. We'll have to figure that out.

It sounds like the "kit" idea may not work out so well. I may have to do an à la carte offering.

Oh, and I'll look into the heart attack handle (#15) but I can't guarantee anything.

So... is this project a go and if so any idea how long it'll be before you have parts to ship?  Do you want a deposit first or full payment upon shipment?

Just trying to get in line early and avoid the wait.   ::toothy

Thanks,

Chris

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 05:42:58 AM »

How hard is it to make moulds of the dash being foam, without the cluster mounts going out of line for example? Maybe it's more rigid than I think it is.

Here are  a couple of pics showing the material the dash is made of , I am not familiar with the material - but is a minimum of 3mm thick and increases greatly in load areas. ::thumbup

Oooh , Red leather.

Matty99dun

• Liked: 22
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »
Yes it maybe, but at least the dam handbrake is off the console...:)
nothing from the OEM car fits in the MR2 everything is too wide, I used a OEM center console and that had to be dissected into 6 or 7 pieces, then shrunk down in length and width so while I could it was molded to fit on top of the MR2 console...it was from there I realized no OEM parts will ever fit, so I made my own.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
Good attempt on that
Rob's console would have actually come in handy there
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:18:19 PM by Tallon »