Author Topic: Front Suspension Questions  (Read 1610 times)

Thumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 31
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Front Suspension Questions
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
Mine is an 86 as well and I took the "oh crap I hope this works" route.  I went with the wide track Held front end, stock brakes (for now), and an adapter to fit my Forgeline rims.  The Held front end went on smooth and it looks pretty solid.  I'm also using cararra fully adjustable chrome shocks up front.  Once I got the suspension on I measured the mounting surface of my rims to the rotor surface and ordered my adapters to fit that space.  Very easy install overall and I'm really happy with the way it corners so far.  Haven't had it on the main road or up to speed yet, but around the neighborhood seems pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:49:54 AM by Thumper »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Front Suspension Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
For your starting point, you will need to know the distance from the wheel mounting surface on the RH rotor to the wheel mounting surface on the LH rotor.  You can rest each rotor on a block of wood to check this measurement.  You will also need to know the offset on your wheels.  You will also need to know the distance from the center of your rotors that you are going to use to the outside of your caliper in its mounted position.  What is the inside diameter of your wheels that you are going to use?  What is the year of Fiero that you have?  Are you going to use the Fiero knuckle and rotor hub and the C-5 rotors and calipers?  What is the measurement from the outside of your front fenders  RH to LH at the center of the wheel openings?
Another option for you might be the Arraut SLALOM HANDLING PACKAGE 1984-1987 FIERO ( FRONT ).  It replaces the knuckle with a knuckle that has the sealed bearing that bolts in just like the rear wheel bearing on a front wheel drive car.  This kit comes with a redesigned front crossmember also and is said to really improve the ride and handling problems of the stock setup.  It's always good to have all of the specs on your build when you call or see Arraut so that they don't steer you into a setup that won't work for you.  For instance, if the wheel mounting can be redrilled to match your wheels, you will not need an adapter sandwiched between your wheel and bearing.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:50:19 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Front Suspension Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
Hi Guys, please provide feedback based upon your experiences with Fiero's and front suspensions.  My Fiero is a 86 model so it doesn't have the improved suspension that came in 88.

1. For those using the Held / Arraut wide suspension, what are you feeling on quality and ease of installation?  How did you measure for the correct width?  What brakes are you running and what modifications where needed to have the suspension work with those brakes?

2. For anyone using something else, what are you using and what brakes are you running?

I looking at options to safely widen the front to improve handling and integrity of the build.  I have OEM Hercules rims so the brakes need to work with them.  So far I'm leaning towards the Arraut (previously Held) wide suspension with the newer Corvette Z06 calipers and hubs but before spending a ton of money on stuff that may not work well or work together, I figured I'd ask.  ::help

Thanks,

Chris