Author Topic: Pontiac F40 Six Speed Manual Conversion  (Read 5139 times)

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:06:10 PM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

Rebirth

• A.K.A. Darkprince
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • If it's not perfect, It's not done!
Re: Pontiac F40 Six Speed Manual Conversion
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
Do you have any pics of the installation of this transmission? What engines will directly bolt to this tranny?
I have a dream, that one day we will not be judged by the supplier of our kits but by the content of the build!

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
That's amazing that you found a brand new one. We're they built after 87-88? Or has it been waiting for you since the 80's?   ;D

The F40 had a short lived production life due to the demise of Pontiac.  This was transmission was commonly found in the newer Pontiac G6 cars and when the brand was axed the excess inventory left over from cars that were never built were sold off.  There are several sellers on Ebay selling these and that's how I found mine.   ::toothy

Chris

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
i will be following this thread ,i have 2 of those 6 speed transmission New still in box an a Aurora Northstar V8 engine : 270HP ..mod TB an intake & re calibrated  pcm
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
That's amazing that you found a brand new one. We're they built after 87-88? Or has it been waiting for you since the 80's?   ;D

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Pontiac F40 Six Speed Manual Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
I will be installing a Pontiac F40 six speed manual shift transmission in my Fiero based LP640 roadster build.  I bought a brand new (zero miles) transmission on Ebay for $350 plus $125 shipping from Michigan to Ohio.  My car was originally an automatic so I had to locate a four speed shifter ($75) that will be sent to Archie and reworked for a six speed shift pattern ($150).  The shifter is cable actuated and the clutch assembly (Ebay $75) is hydraulic which requires a Pontiac G6 master cylinder ($90) and a F40 slave cylinder (might be on the transmission).  I also need the hydraulic lines ($160) and modified length shifter cables ($250).  Here is a list of other parts that Archie includes in his kit but might be duplicate or not needed since I'm using the GTP cradle instead of the Fiero cradle:

Stage 3 Clutch set      $350.00
Cobalt SS Intermed. Shaft      $75.00
1996 Camaro V6 Flywheel      $60.00
05 - 07 Cobalt Axles      $100.00

Work hasn't started yet and I'm still collecting parts and waiting for space to open up in my buddies shop and this might not happen until later this winter.  This is a lot of money and time but I think a race inspired roadster with a high revving V6 and six speed manual will be a blast to drive and worth every cent.  ::toothy

More to come..

Chris

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:53:32 PM by No Bull »