Author Topic: Triptronic tranny audi or Porsche with ls3 engine  (Read 4758 times)

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
Re: Triptronic tranny audi or Porsche with ls3 engine
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
You could always make weak axles.... That way if you hook up hard they might break before the trans....    ::K

Though a rev limiter might be something to also think about in that situation....

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
I bought a used 5hp19 on ebay, they're pretty cheap. I will soon buy the controller directly from powertrain control solutions who is the company that actually makes it. pcs tcm-2000. They're very helpful and answered all my questions in detail.
Then you can think about rebuilding it with stronger parts. I don't think $4k is necessary but may be easier that way.

The only stronger aftermarket part I've heard of for the trans is the reverse drum, maybe they recently started building other parts, I don't know.

Advanced Automation actually told me NEVER to use this transmission with a v8 even after rebuilding it as it will only be destroyed, so it is odd to me that they would now promote it. I decided to do it on my own since they were completely against it no matter what the cost. In fact, 034motorsport told me the same thing. Too weak to handle a v8 even with our application. I figure the transmission isn't expensive so I'll give it a go + it's my only option.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:26:47 AM by Tallon »

aeauto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »
A rebuilt Audi with controller will be around $4000.  The controller for the PDK is integrated with the engine and a lot of other systems in the car as is the Audi controller.  That is why an aftermarket controller is needed.  I haven't priced the Porsche transmission by itself but I suspect it will be a lot more than the Audi.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
The PDK is expensive - no doubt about that. The Audi probably won't be cheap either. Can't a Porsche stock controller be used or is it integrated into the main engine computer? Why is an aftermarket controller necessary?
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

aeauto

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
My adapter kit includes the adapter plate and an adapter to attach the torque converter to the LS flexplate.  Then you need a controller and wiring harness.  That is available from Advanced Automotion.  They can also provide a rebuilt transmission with some heavy duty parts.

fsoriano2828

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
It will be going on a fiero stretched chassis...

fsoriano2828

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
One more thing.. besides the adapter plate, what would i need to make the ls3 engine work with  the Audi 5HP19 automatic (parts, etc)?

fsoriano2828

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »
Thank you all for your input..

aeauto

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
The LS engines don't come with a transmission suitable for mid-engine use except for the LS4 which only came with an automatic.  The LS4 can be mated to the F40 from the G6 if you want a manual.

Transcend

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
why not just keep the transmission the LS comes with and get mastershift

its pricey but i think it's what you're looking for www.mastershift.com

aeauto

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »
You will probably find it difficult to get a controller for the Porsche tiptronic.  I do an adapter for the Audi 5HP19 automatic to the LS engines and there is a controller available for that.  I haven't priced the PDK but I suspect they are going to be rather expensive and I am not sure anyone has a controller for them.  I also do adapters for the manual transmissions from both Porsche and Audi.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:48:16 AM »
The TripTronic is a decent choice and it is set up for paddle shifters. However, a common complaint is that it shifts too slow. I would choose a PDK version from a 2009 or newer Boxster instead. I believe the Cayman uses the same transmission. Renegade Hybrids has done LS3 and LS7 transplants into the Boxster so they should have everything needed: http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

fsoriano2828

Triptronic tranny audi or Porsche with ls3 engine
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »
Hello forum.. I need of some help..  Can either the audi or porsche tranny be mounted to a ls3 engine? and which one??