Author Topic: Engine Hood gas Shocks  (Read 1542 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 134
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Engine Hood gas Shocks
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:27:30 PM »
I'm using trunk hinges off a Malibu (I think). My shock setup looks similar to Lambobuilder's. I also had the glass temporarily attached to the hatch to give a more accurate reading. I think the shocks were 75lb each.

lambobuilder

• Liked: 208
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 02:20:33 PM »
Here is how I did it. The shocks are some spares I had and will need to be stronger. They currently hold up deck lid but have not added in panels over engine. Will use Neil's method to determine ultimate weight.

Neils88

• Liked: 134
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 07:36:57 PM »
You shouldn't go by what others use. You should calculate what you need based on the weight of your hood. You'll need three measurements.

Pick a mounting location for one end of the shock in the engine bay (A). Pick a mounting point for the other end of the shock on the hood (B).

1. Measure A to B with hood in fully open position. This is the (minimum) extended shock length.
2. Measure A to B with the hood closed. This is the (maximum) retracted shock length. (This can take a little creativity to measure).
3. Weigh the hood at point B. This isn't easy. I normally use a broom handle under the hood located at point B (from point B on the left side across to point B on the right side of the hood). Put a bathroom scale under the center of the broom handle with a block of wood supporting it on the scale. The hood should be as close to the closed position as practical. Hopefully you can read the scale. Divide this number by 2. This is the minimum value for each shock. I like to add about 10-20% to ensure a solid lift without it being too difficult to close.

These three values give you everything you need when you go shopping for the shocks. You may need to play around with the mounting points to optimize the values and match available shocks.

ardillo lambo

• Liked: 9
Engine Hood gas Shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 05:27:50 PM »
Cloners!!!,
What gas shock length are you guys using. What force rating. Let me see your anchoring points