Author Topic: USING 3D-MODELS FROM VIDEO GAMES ETC. TO PRODUCE KITS  (Read 7442 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: USING 3D-MODELS FROM VIDEO GAMES ETC. TO PRODUCE KITS
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Yep, you've hit on the important issue - cost. There is a large setup cost for custom glass which has to be endured by every customer of the kit separately unless the kit manufacturer takes care of this for all his customers. As I said earlier...

Robert, you bring up a good point. Although I prefer some kind of off-the-shelf glass, custom glass is a totally acceptable solution. Again, it should be considered from the beginning. I believe in this case, the manufacturer of the body should also manufacture the glass to take advantage of the economies of scale. It doesn't make sense for each individual builder to have to arrange to have custom glass made.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:44:53 PM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Tantukka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
Buying a custom made windshield from a company who produce them is not too expensive, at least not in here (Finland). Ok, the "mold" frame cost 1000€ maximum, after that windshields are something like 500€/pcs, side glasses around 200€. And these windshields are approved in whole Europe. So I recommend to call in local windshield manufacturing places,but not the biggest ones as they have huge MOQ.
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

Rob James

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
In my opinion, figuring out proper glasses for a newly created kit must be done in the initial stage of the development. This also applies to any parts that may be way too difficult or even impossible to locate by the customer himself, or ones that will require heavy alteration of the body kit.
This is exactly where I'm coming from, I want to do my research and be able to source everything to finish it off. I can just imagine how horrific it would be to do all the work, then realize you can't get a windshield or reasonable replica taillights. I mean it would be so infuriating to me.
Rob,
   If you have to go to your Plan "B", I have Reventon molds. You are correct to do your homework and I will be glad to answer all of your questions, just do not ask what windshield fits a Reventon.
Thanks for the offer of help 76mx, it's truly appreciated, and Lord knows I'm going to need a lot of it. To me the Reventon is a very viable option, I love it's body look, second only to the Aventador. To my layman's eye they almost seem identical, front and rear-ends, taillights etc. Where they seem to deviate is the large side vent on the Aventador, correct me if I'm wrong? I do have so many beginner questions it's crazy! But I'll have to start a post about that and not go off track in this thread.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
Rob,
   If you have to go to your Plan "B", I have Reventon molds. You are correct to do your homework and I will be glad to answer all of your questions, just do not ask what windshield fits a Reventon.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:19 AM »
The G28 had to be altered slightly because not all bodies come out of the mold the same, it was still designed to use the basic size and shape/curvature of the windshield so I doubt any other windshield could have just as easily been fitted...
and if you alter it too much how would that affect the rest of the car
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:59:29 AM by Tallon »

plans4sale

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 60
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 05:05:40 AM »
 In my opinion, figuring out proper glasses for a newly created kit must be done in the initial stage of the development. This also applies to any parts that may be way too difficult or even impossible to locate by the customer himself, or ones that will require heavy alteration of the body kit (like the grills, as mentioned in a previous post). I'm not taking parts in this particular dispute, instead I talk about the business as a whole. One can't expect demand if his/her product is offered only with the quick profit in mind and puts the customer into a series of undesired expenses.

::beers
Custom 3d car & chassis design: https://www.facebook.com/sportni.koli.3
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

BigPines

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
Those are the two I know of but there may be others. Please start a thread to let us know what you selected. I'd love to see an Aventador build thread.

Rob James

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »
Thanks so much BigPines,........that's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Yes, I have already found those two Aventadors, good to know I didn't miss any others. Sad that there is only two......but I guess it's a very new design. Anyways, the Reventon is definitely an option, including the one offered by reventonkid812. It's just getting it home is going to be a monumental task. More research is in order. Until I nail down the windshield, door glass, and taillight issues, I'll be reserving my opinion on choice. I wanted to start building before the new year began, but that's not looking like the case now.

Rob,  ::beers

BigPines

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
It's not a problem Rob. Threads get off track sometimes and that is to be expected. You didn't start World War III. Hahahaha. I'm not actually sure why INSPIRE keeps jumping on me but it doesn't really matter.

You asked a very legitimate question. It is good you are thinking ahead BEFORE making a purchase. Very smart of you.

I assume you want to do an Aventador. If that is the case, your choices are limited:

INSPIRE has one of the only bodies which have actually been created and is available. I give him full props for that. It is a pretty rough body so it will take a lot of work to finish it off but it is an option. The glass is also a concern. If anyone has found glass which works on INSPIRE's Aventador body please speak up. I would be very interested. I've also never heard a complaint of INSPIRE ripping anyone off so that is a definite plus! There doesn't seem to be any reason to doubt his honesty.

There is also a kit at Car Kit, Inc. which you may want to check out: http://www.carkitinc.com/carkit2.php?id=19 Again, I don't know what glass it has been designed for so you would need to ask those questions.

RobsLP640 has shown some OEM Aventador parts which I was really interested in at one time but there have been so many complaints from people being ripped off by him and he has behaved so badly that I would not buy anything from him. The only way I may take a chance on him is if you pick the stuff up in person. I don't think he has a full body but I'm not really sure about that.

That is what I know about the current offerings. Others may have more information than I do on this.

You are doing the right thing. Get all the information you can. If possible, talk to others who have purchased the body in question. Find out if the seller is legit and verify the quality of the body. I personally would not purchase any body that hasn't been designed for a particular glass. If it is just a "real builders know how to improvise" kind of response, that turns me off. I think it is a sign there will be trouble in that area.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:57:01 PM by BigPines »

Rob James

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
I truly apologize for going slightly off topic in the other thread. Windshields were mentioned and I didn't think it was too off-base to ask which one fit his Kit. For that breach of Forum protocol I'm truly sorry, and I certainly never meant to cause a Third World War! I'm only trying to pick out a Kit that doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out. I just want to get building! To do that I need all the advice I can get BEFORE purchasing, because after that I'm committed to what I have! So I NEED to ask these questions. But I do apologize for asking in the wrong location.

Rob,  ::beers

P.S. if someone could give me the dimensions of the OEM glass, (it's curvature etc.) I can do some research. Bet I could come up with something really close, like some of the more sportier designs Eagle Vision and Intrepid, maybe even Sebring.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:18:10 PM by Rob James »

BigPines

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
I would also like to mention that I believe it would be best if a body manufacturer made sure OEM grills fit. It is the same concept as the glass. It could be done in the 3D model stage or in the plug stage. Anytime prior to producing the body panels is fine.

BigPines

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
INSPIRE, I'll let you have the last word in the other thread since that seems to be what you want. In case you don't understand proper forum etiquette, it is inappropriate to continue the off-topic conversation in that thread especially after it has been pointed out and a new thread created for the actual topic being discussed.

I honestly don't understand something. Why is it easy for each of your customers to figure out what glass fits your body separately but it isn't easy for you?

I am not exposing you or anyone else. I was trying to be polite and hoping you would figure out the glass on your kit so it would work out for you and your customers. However, since you don't seem to have any interest in figuring out the glass issue and you continue to try to push my buttons for no reason, I am no longer going to hold my tongue about the flaws with your body (unknown availability of glass is only one of them).

I don't feel the need to prove to you or anyone else what my experience or capabilities are. That is irrelevant to the conversation. I am either right or I am wrong. Why do you resort to changing the subject and attacking me? Last time this happened to me, it was RobsLP640. Although I have no reason to doubt your honesty, your behavior has something in common with his and that isn't great.

There are people on this forum who know what I am up to. They know exactly what my capabilities are and they have seen my work. This is on a need to know basis. Sorry, but participating in a pissing contest with you does not qualify as need to know.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:33:14 AM by BigPines »

BigPines

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
Robert, you bring up a good point. Although I prefer some kind of off-the-shelf glass, custom glass is a totally acceptable solution. Again, it should be considered from the beginning. I believe in this case, the manufacturer of the body should also manufacture the glass to take advantage of the economies of scale. It doesn't make sense for each individual builder to have to arrange to have custom glass made.

INSPIREcomposite (BANNED)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 108
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
actually, most 3D models are accurate enough to use oem windshields without any alterations. Mine most likely does fit oem but i havent tried it so i cant say it does because im an honest person. and i dont say things that i dont intend on doing either.

However, producing a body from scratch is a ton of work, especially when its your first time doing fiberglass, most people quit. and going out to the junkyard and trying to figure out which glass could possibly work and add the extra effort to make it fit the plug is extra work that can be done on the customers side, which is perfectly reasonable and which ameer himself has explained hes done.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:03:30 AM by INSPIREcomposite »

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
Thanks am33r. In my opinion, either A or B are the correct way to do this. The glass should not be an afterthought as is sometimes the case. Why not take the time to tweak the model from the beginning to accept specific glass? As discussed, this is extra work for the manufacturer but avoids so much more work down the road for all the consumers. There is a saying in this industry - Fix a mold once or fix a part a thousand times.

The problem with C is, we are HOPING someone can find some appropriate glass which will work. What if no off-the-shelf glass fits the body we have produced? For instance, the Aventador has a very large windshield. It may be difficult to find glass which will fit. One may have to modify the fiberglass to allow for a different size of windshield. Sure that could also be done but it may look funky and why mess with it?

I should mention that I'm not just talking about making sure an OEM Lamborghini window fits. I am talking about ANY glass from ANY manufacturer. SOMETHING has to be able to fit and that should be part of the design even if it requires modification as in the case of the Maxima windshield. That is the real point.

The G28 had a solution for glass from the beginning. The fact that some producers of bodies have no idea what glass will fit their creations is a red flag to me. I would personally not purchase a body if the manufacturer could not tell me what glass they designed it for or what glass they have proved to work in that particular application.

Maybe I am just crazy.

Oh, and BTW...I like carbon fiber too and that happens to get under some people's skin! ;)
lamboreplica uses Nissian  windshield in one of their products, though they are have door glass custom made!
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.