Author Topic: i need advice on lowering a fiero  (Read 5790 times)

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
Re: i need advice on lowering a fiero
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
you could cut 1.25 coil off ,per side an see what that give you since you are buying new ones anyway an it would give you a great idea of the ride height 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:15:54 PM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

beemc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »
i think it is because the body is not sitting low enough on the fiero because of the size of box tubing i put on the cowl
the car is a 85 fiero
here is a pic of the body supports i made

the front sits pretty high but the back is not that bad considering i don't have the engine in it yet

but the good thing about my body sitting high is that i was able to notch the body for the windshield and it will fit without trimming the glass
i hope i will be able to put a set of lowering springs in the front and get it sitting the right height how high should the front bumper be from the ground ?

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
I put the ebay coil overs on all 4 corners, I got a sbc (archie kit) in the back and the rear dont feel to bad.  I rebuilt everything on the front, new bushings, upper lower ball joints, rebuilt rack, everything I could do and the front feels too tight. After 2000 miles on it now its softer but good enough.

Im in the process of buying a new home right now, my new house has a 1800sqft shop so I have big plans for my Diablo once I get settled. Im going to look at putting in a aftermaket front K-member in it and redo the entire suspension. As well as finishing my twin turbo LS1/ TH425 reverse rotation drivetrain....

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »
hey Tony, me and you are in the same boat, diablo with '88 GT, but Beemc has a g28, the might be some differences where the body meets the chassis, and definitely shaving off necessary areas of the chassis makes the difference like Jayso mentions, Tony did you do anything to the front? I got my rear springs from ebay as well, I like the stance too but concerned about the 2k mi mark.

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
What year is your Fiero? My advice wait till everything is done, then have your car scaled. My Diablo is on a '88 Fiero and I used these "ebay cheapo" coil overs. The stance is right but it rides like crap, the springs are starting to loosen up after 2000 miles but still not the ride I would like.

You could just get the cheap tube/spinner nuts then get some good springs. But the knowing the weight at all 4 corners well help getting the best springs.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
Beemc,  Are you having a problem because your chassis sets too high or does your body set too high on your chassis?  What modifications have you made to your chassis in its present state?  Is the front or rear too high?  Coil-overs will help with both the front and rear height if the body is setting as low as possible on the chassis.  Held makes a dropped spindle for the Fiero front suspension but I don't know of anyone who needed to install one.  I have a friend in Texas that had a problem running large diameter wheels on the front of his Diablo but are you going to run the 19" on the front?  We just need a little more info for us to help you.  Thanks, Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »
How far along are you into your build?
I would get the body mounted where it has to be before you get too concerned about lowering the chassis.  Some of the height will depend on how much weight is on the springs.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »
It depends on how much you cut off the top of the chassis where the dash sits. If you cut it down as far as you can go, you won't need anything for the front. Adjustable coil overs from HELD for the rear.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:21:57 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

beemc

• Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
i need advice on lowering a fiero
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
how much do i need to lower my fiero ? I will be running 19 and 20 inch wheels on a g28 roadster
What is the recommended way of lowering it ? i assume coil overs but im not sure