Author Topic: v6 auto, codes galore!  (Read 2838 times)

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: v6 auto, codes galore!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
Rough crowd here. I thought it was funny  :-\

SchulzeA

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »
Good Job!

Onewickedsvt

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
It was th CTS big time!

She purrs like a kitten now!

Onewickedsvt

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
Ok I am now at around 1300ish rpm after a new iac and map sensor.

Sounds much better, but the idle is still high.

I reset the codes, drive it around for a few miles and guess what?!?

The check engine light came on, but only this time, code 14 was coming up. Which means CTS.

Only 1 more sensor to go, I guess CTS it is!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:02:01 AM by Onewickedsvt »

Murci-Me

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »
Also, the fan "cycling" is normal, there may not be a problem with it (or the commands its recieving) at all. Having it come on, then shut off shows that your cooling system is working efficiently. If it didn't come on, or stayed on in normal driving shows that its not cooling your engine, whether its because the fan is week or blocked (leaves/debris stuck in the vanes or on the radiator, or in between the radiator and AC heat exchanger), the radiator is corroded, theres low coolant in the system, the thermostat isn't functioning properly (either stuck in a position, or worse, fully open), the water pump is failing, loose belts, and so on.

Murci-Me

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
The fan should come on at about 195, and cool to 180. If your flashing a code 14, there's obviously a problem with the coolant sensor, and you need to investigate that problem. Remember, a faulty connection is the same thing as a bad sensor according to the computer.
Is the car an automatic or manual transmission?
The bad MAP sensor (or faulty connection to it) isn't a major problem, the worse thing will be the high idle, and poor fuel economy. It can also cause overheat problems though, so you may want to be sure your coolant is topped of and all air is purged from the system.
On an automatic trans, the high idle can cause all types of driveability problems, from high line pressure in the kickdown band of the transaxel (causing the trans to shift to late or to early), to causing the engine to run to hot and have bad throttle response from the TB.
On a manual trans, its not so bad. Manual transmissions are easier on an engine since they dont eat so much power in a torque converter.
Its up to your own judgement if you want to drive it or not. Driving with a bad MAP sensor wont cause any direct harm to the engine, its just an inconvienence with the high RPM's and the tendency to overheat.  You should be fine, just play it by ear.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:03:46 PM by Murci-Me »

Onewickedsvt

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »
I figure it might just be the MAP causing this nonsense.

I swapped out the iac as the old one was stuck open the whole time.

Do you think it is safe to drive?

While I wait for a map sensor for 2 days?

I also noticed the fan would only kick on when the temp hits around 220, but it only kicks on for less than a minute then shuts off. It just turns on and off like that every few minutes.

Murci-Me

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
Code 14 is the coolant temperature sensor. Make sure the sensor is functional, and all wiring is connected.
Code 22 is your throttle position sensor (TPS). Its located on the side of your throttle body, and is most likely the reason for your high idle problem, but not necessarilly bad or faulty.
Code 34 is your MAP sensor. Code 34 will set when the signal voltage from the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor is to low. Instead, the ECM will substitute a "fixed" MAP value and use the TPS (see above  ;)) to control fuel delivery.
Just replace the MAP sensor. More than likely, there is no problem with your TPS, but your TPS is causing your engine to idle high because of the faulty information being sent to it by your ECM.
Replacing the MAP sensor will then send the correct information to the ECM, which in turn will adjust your TPS to the correct setting and fix your "high Idle" problem.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:37:45 PM by Murci-Me »

Onewickedsvt

v6 auto, codes galore!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
Hey guys,

I have a big delema with my 87 fiero v6 auto.

I have codes 14, 22 and 34 and my car idles at around 1500 rpm.

It's not vaccume, i took the plenum off and traced them all, all good, solid and connected. No breaks either.

It's not the EGR TUBE as I installed a brand new replacement.

Please help!