Author Topic: Suspension Setup  (Read 2607 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Suspension Setup
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »
Here is a website to check out for anyone wanting to determine the correct spring rate for their coil overs.

http://www.ridetech.com/info/spring-rate-calculator/

I just don't understand using a higher spring rate on the front to keep the tires from rubbing on the underside of the front fenders.  I may be wrong again, but this website weighs each corner of your car using race car scales to get an accurate weight for the front or rear of your car and then determines the coil over spring for your shocks.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »
Jim,
   Racecar scales do not set up suspension. They help you meet left side legal weight, get percentages where you want them, and most important get cross weight workable, and finally meet total weight legal limits, but they do nothing for set up. None of this is important to a street car. The ride height is the critical measurement for this. That is the height that the four corners of the frame are above the ground plane. Crank the coil overs to whatever it takes to get this right. Something like a battery on one side will require the coil over on that side to be cranked down farther to get the car to stay level and there will be more weight on that scale, but you are not trying to get the weights even, just the car level. From there look at a camber/caster guage liike Longacre and if you really feel inspired, a bump steer guage from them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:14:48 AM by 76mx »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
Sorry for the lack of clarification.  I meant the 4 individual scales that are positioned under each wheel.  That way you could adjust each coil-over to match the opposite side.  Sometimes I confuse myself.   Jim
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:19:02 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
I suspect you mean on our own roadcars , not on any car - which then means that I have used race car weight scales , but only on race cars .That then facilitated ride height adjustments and ballast positioning . If you have adjustable suspension , I would recommend using a set if you are able.
This is the only pic I can find of our early '68 camaro ( this vehicle has 3 degree negative rear camber..) and here is a link to one of the later cars.
http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&source=gal&uID=119513&gID=781&pgID=5&pID=359289&first=true

;)
Oooh , Red leather.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
I guess I'm not familiar with "race car scales" but if you are talking caster and camber on the suspension. if you find the numbers that you like you can take them to a alignment shop and they should be able the align it to whatever specs you like. I took my car and had it aligned to the factory 09 Lamborghini Murci caster and camber specs and it drives like a freaking go-cart could not believe the difference between sock Fiero alignment and the Lambo spec alignment!

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
Suspension Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
Has anyone used a set of racecar scales to set up their suspension?  Thanks.  Jim
Retired