Author Topic: I NEED DOOR HINGES or CAN I BUILD MY OWN?  (Read 12587 times)

INSPIREcomposite (BANNED)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 108
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: I NEED DOOR HINGES or CAN I BUILD MY OWN?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
That's also true, but having a weld machine does not equal to having the time/equipment/skills to create a door hinge up to the standard of an OEM look. It's the same reason most builders will prefer to buy steering columns and pedals, rather than fabricating these from metal rods and metal plates, respectively. Some people even don't bother to make their own trunk hinges, even though they are rather easy to make.

And that is true as well, but if they do not have the time/equipment/skills to build a simple door hinge, they have no business attempting to build one of these cars. They have none of the requirements.
It's hard to believe that a door hinge with OEM-like look could be done with $20, not to mention the time required. Sometimes, it's worth spending the money to acquire an OEM part (not necessarily limited only to door hinge) over investing time and effort to fabricate one that may not meet the high standards of the builder. Take for example the hood and engine cover hinges that we use on the FLT project. It was decided that OEM hinges from last gen Audi TT are the better option. They are widely available on all continents, reliable, have the necessary size and angle of operation, nice OEM look. Most important is, fabricating these from scratch to look like OEM would require too much time and money, should we choose to do it that way. We could easily use a hinge made out of bunch of drilled and bent laser cut plates, however, that would destroy the overall OEM look and feel we are targeting to. The same goes for A/C vents, switches, seats, manual shifter, latches, and many other parts that will not look and/or perform right if made with the money saving priority in mind. Virtually anything mechanical could be fabricated, but at the end f the day, it's the combination of investment/time/quality/look that matters.

your input doesnt mean anything when you believe you could get a 2 million dollar investor with a 3d model, or argue tool hardness to machine styrofoam. you are just dumb, that is why you almost died riding your bike.

plans4sale

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 60
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »
That's also true, but having a weld machine does not equal to having the time/equipment/skills to create a door hinge up to the standard of an OEM look. It's the same reason most builders will prefer to buy steering columns and pedals, rather than fabricating these from metal rods and metal plates, respectively. Some people even don't bother to make their own trunk hinges, even though they are rather easy to make.

And that is true as well, but if they do not have the time/equipment/skills to build a simple door hinge, they have no business attempting to build one of these cars. They have none of the requirements.
It's hard to believe that a door hinge with OEM-like look could be done with $20, not to mention the time required. Sometimes, it's worth spending the money to acquire an OEM part (not necessarily limited only to door hinge) over investing time and effort to fabricate one that may not meet the high standards of the builder. Take for example the hood and engine cover hinges that we use on the FLT project. It was decided that OEM hinges from last gen Audi TT are the better option. They are widely available on all continents, reliable, have the necessary size and angle of operation, nice OEM look. Most important is, fabricating these from scratch to look like OEM would require too much time and money, should we choose to do it that way. We could easily use a hinge made out of bunch of drilled and bent laser cut plates, however, that would destroy the overall OEM look and feel we are targeting to. The same goes for A/C vents, switches, seats, manual shifter, latches, and many other parts that will not look and/or perform right if made with the money saving priority in mind. Virtually anything mechanical could be fabricated, but at the end f the day, it's the combination of investment/time/quality/look that matters.
Custom 3d car & chassis design: https://www.facebook.com/sportni.koli.3
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

lambocars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 68
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 02:40:17 PM »
Door hinges for sale.. Diablo and murci Doors...oem dimensions...420 pair

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
Thank you for the Like, Minihawn, glad the build info was helpful. If someone were to inventory the requirements and assets needed to build one of these, and the only one they found was money, why would they be building a replica?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:29:09 AM by 76mx »

76mx

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »

plans4sale

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 04:09:11 AM »
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

76mx

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »
  I have always wondered why they are $400 or more a pair, when they are available at all.   
Maybe because they do require time and effort to be made, as well as equipment to be used etc. A flat glass template is $50, heck... a custom glass shop will charge you 3 grand to cut and bend it. It's the same reason companies sell bunch of $200 tubes in the form of 5-15K chassis, or when a $5 cotton is sold as $200 branded T-shirt.
  I have always wondered why they are $400 or more a pair, when they are available at all.   
Maybe because they do require time and effort to be made, as well as equipment to be used etc. A flat glass template is $50, heck... a custom glass shop will charge you 3 grand to cut and bend it. It's the same reason companies sell bunch of $200 tubes in the form of 5-15K chassis, or when a $5 cotton is sold as $200 branded T-shirt.

It is not that I fault the seller for asking that $400 price, I am faulting the buyer for paying it. The people buying the $200 shirt in your example do not have a loom in their garage, but the people needing hinges have a welder in theirs.

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 04:57:22 AM »
What is good about the NAERC hinges is, they come in two parts , one you bolt to chassis and other to the door. first you set your door and and striker then tack weld the two . move up and down does not fit right break it and do it again till is ok 

plans4sale

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:56:57 AM »

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:00:09 PM »
or If you want spend $$ contact Marcello MM Brazil those are NAERC clones. he's more on Kitcentral.

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
Thank you so much sounds interesting
Fate has no choice

76mx

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 05:06:51 PM »
Minihawn,
   Go to any hardware store and get some 1"OD x 3/4"ID x about 1" steel bushings, get some 3/4"OD x1/2"ID bronze hat bushings to fit them, and get a length of 1/2" drill rod for the pins. All of that stuff for two hinges will not come to $20. Cut and drill some plate hinge arms to suit your application and weld it all up. When you weld it, assemble the entire thing, clamp it down, and weld it that way. The pin will keep it all perfectly aligned. The bronze bushings are oilite, meaning that they are impregnated with oil, and the heat from welding will cause some to seep out, but it will not matter. A hinge constructed this way will have zero play in it and be plenty strong. They can be done in aluminum the same way but you will need to get the aluminum bushings from someone like Tube Service Company.  I have always wondered why they are $400 or more a pair, when they are available at all.   

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
I NEED DOOR HINGES or CAN I BUILD MY OWN?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
I have a Diablo replica I am in need of two door hinges if you have any or know anyone or maybe could assist me and building my own please thank you
Fate has no choice