Author Topic: 1980 Diablo Roadster Replica, 22000 miles for $54,900 for sale currently on eBay  (Read 13552 times)

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
Someone can get that selling dealer in big trouble with the state dmv if they have proof this car was illegally imported into the USA without a vin

They might even take the car from him

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Why are you laughing? I was serious.

Rob James

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
How do I bid $100?
This had me rolling off my chair, quite literally! Thanks for the chuckle, I really needed that right now. Thank you again!

Rob,  ::beers

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
I am confused as well. This is a no reserve auction and yet the starting bid is $54,000. How do I bid $100?

mhotmarkx1

• Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
In addition, this post is in no way derogatory to Jim Dinner. He is legit and all the parts he purchased for that car were purchased legally. It sucks that his expertise and name got involved in this mess.
I still have the greatest respect for Jim and all he provides to the kit building community.

mhotmarkx1

Not exactly the outcome i was looking for, but better safe than sorry.

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Very thoroughly researched Mark, thanks for sharing!

mhotmarkx1

Just a heads up regarding the 1980 Diablo Roadster Replica, 22000 miles for $54,900 for sale currently on eBay.
As I researched this build, I found out some interesting details. First, this car was built for GTA Exotic Rental Company in Toronto. It was built and issued a VIN and registered. GTA misrepresented its customers (claiming they were renting a real Lambo) and abused and used the car daily only on their racetrack. Look at the seats all torn from excess customer use. In fact, it had to have the transmission redone due to the hard driving of the rental customers.
Second, the speedometer was an issue from the start, a huge signal generator at the transmission kept constantly falling off, so how the current mileage is accurate with a broken speedo, also confuses me. 
Then miraculously it was sold to a car dealer in Texas without any receipts, the VIN was somehow removed, and it had no registration or title. Why a dealer would even purchase such a mess, I have yet to figure out. If anyone knows the licensing/registration issues, a dealer would. In addition, I heard through the grapevine, that it may have been written off as stolen.
So, I emailed the rental company to ask about details of the car, if they had the receipts and build proof and their response was “If the car has no VIN or title how did you get to contacting me”. Stewart Wilson, Manager, GTA EXOTICS.
I found this response very defensive, cover up like and suspicious. I have yet to respond.
Either way, now the car is in Texas at NCAE Motors and the dealer has it for sale. He has used his dealer plates and also has never registered it. I asked him about the terms of the purchase from GTA and he confirmed “Yes, your info is correct. I never received any vin info and I don t think the vin would be allowed transferred to the USA so I was going to act like it was a new build and assign it a USA vin”. Although he never has!!! Again, he claims he got it with 16,000 miles and it now has 22,000 and a broken speedo. That does not add up to me!!!
He also claims “I run a business full time, I wish I had more time...but if I did I would keep and enjoy the car more. I don t have anytime. That’s why I’m selling the car for a great price and taking a loss. Thx. Funny considering his website only lists 7 cars he has for sale.
I checked with 5 different state DMVs and they all require extensive receipts and build info to consider issuing a VIN and allowing the car to be street legal. In fact, if somebody buys this car, they will need to prove that no stolen parts have been used. Who knows what will surface from Canada on this topic???
In short, beware of this car. It is a shame that it was built by such a professional and then seriously abused and tarnished by the owners thereafter.