Author Topic: 1980 Diablo Roadster Replica, 22000 miles for $54,900 for sale currently on eBay  (Read 13546 times)

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
that's it! case closed. find other car

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
As I have said before, I built the car. I ordered all materials and the rental company paid for everything. All the invoices were in their name. I did't get any paperwork.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
Yes there's a reason it's better to get assigned a new USA vin number as a special construction kit car .

If you use the Canadian vin and paperwork you'll need to deal with a DOT/EPA importation which can cost thousands

eddie

My opinion on this, if JIM gives you the paper work  its  Canadian
To re registered you'll end up paying custom /duty/ tax ? The car was sold for more back in days I think.

mhotmarkx1

• Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Hey Jim, what would it take to get this old paperwork? To get it registered stateside?

jdinner

• KwikerCars
According to Metro Toronto Police, the border crossing was legit. It was an unidentified VIN number so none was used. It was never reported stolen.

eddie

So all the drama for nothing?

Supercobra

• Liked: 10
Didn't sell - zero bids

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
He is not in Dallas, he is in Fort Worth. Dallas is a suburb of Fort Worth. The no reserve auction is over. Who bought it and how much?

mhotmarkx1

So then between this great guy in Dallas and the legal sale from GTA how has everything disappeared and gone wrong?

mhotmarkx1

So did they actually sell it with the VIN attached and titled to that guy in Texas. And if so, why would he not have the VIN or title or receipts? Weird. It sounds like MTP did a check for stolen and insurance write offs and thats all. That may or may not mean that the actual sale included everything correctly. I dont know.

jdinner

• KwikerCars
Just got word from Metro Toronto Police. No wrongdoing was found with the sale or export after an investigation. 

mhotmarkx1

Jim and I talked extensively regarding this mess. He produced a quality build and GTA Exotic Rental Company in Toronto f*'d this up for any future kit buyer. Jim, thanks for all your assistance and we all know that this is not your fault in anyway.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
This car was built by Jim dinner so its top quality

The issue is it may have been reported stolen and paid by an insurance company , had its vin removed, and could possibly be seized from the new buyer

So while a Jim dinner built replica is clearly worth way more than your average replica , this particular one may not even be worth $100 as was mentioned, if it was imported illegally or paid out by an insurance company

mhotmarkx1

Please do me all a favor, pick another (or start your own) post to argue. I am trying to stick to the topic of warning others the issues of purchasing a kit that I have first hand experienced. I would greatly appreciate it.