Author Topic: Help with OEM roof placement  (Read 7916 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Help with OEM roof placement
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
One more quick bit of info.....

Should I be concerned about having a dash in place before setting the roof in place? Or can the dash be added after the body is in place? It just seems it would make life easier if the dash was in place while mocking the roof and panels into place.

Just a mind fart blowing through my thought process is all.

Minuteman, I can only speak for putting that body on a NAERC frame but that answer would be yes. It is not impossible to put the dash in after the body but you will tear up it and other stuff doing it, much much easier the other way. I would still like to know what happened to the rest of your parts and the other body. 

lambocars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 68
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-1
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 05:23:42 PM »
interior parts for fiero and mr2...fast and easy...very good look

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »
find a builder that has used a Fiero chassis for his/her build using the same or close to the same body kit that you have.  They should be able to give you closer insight as to what works and what doesn't work.  This will help you save money and headaches in the long run.  Hope that you make it into the 3% club.

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »
I would use it to confirm fit, but it isn't a requirement

It is always a good idea to place as many components as possible during mock-up / fitment to make sure that you have adequate access to install and more importantly MAINTAIN.  Nothing sucks as much as when you find out that you just beautifully installed this part, only to have to cut it all out

minuteman3282

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
One more quick bit of info.....

Should I be concerned about having a dash in place before setting the roof in place? Or can the dash be added after the body is in place? It just seems it would make life easier if the dash was in place while mocking the roof and panels into place.

Just a mind fart blowing through my thought process is all.

minuteman3282

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
Thanks Lambo_sam! Yes I did the stretch myself but at the time was not aware that the firewall had to be moved forward. I found out about the firewall after the stretch was completed. So what you are saying is that I need to more or less bring the firewall forward from the shifter tunnel, for lack of better words, up to a straight up position to match up with the rear window of the roof? I was figuring that was part of my problem to start with. I also noticed that the passenger small window is wanting to rest on top of the frame just behind the firewall also. Which I'm thinking that I may be trying to set the roof too low which is causing that particular issue. I will be taking my fenders and rear quarter panels to the shop this afternoon to get a better guess as to where the roof needs to be positioned. I appreciate your input and pictures to help me get a visual of what it should look like.

Thanks again everyone for all the great info and your input!

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »
Having some trouble getting the roof set like it should be. I need some advice on what to do or what I'm doing wrong or missing. Do the smaller passenger windows set before or after the firewall? I have been told the firewall is suppose to be moved forward, more straight up than the original Fiero firewall is set at. What are the dimensions between kick plates (?) front and back? (the width of the body between the doors from one side to the other) I have a height of 43.25" that was given to me by Cliff Miller for the rear of the roof. I have rubbed of the front height I had marked on the roof from moving it around, so I need help on what it is suppose to be. Any help at all would be great right now. If I can get the roof set where it is suppose to be I think I can set the rest of the panels on correctly. Thanks in advance for any help with my roof.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am working with a '88 Fiero frame with a 10.5" stretch per Cliff Miller.

Hi Minuteman, My chassis is an 88 gt as well, Looks like you already know this but yes the top half of the fire wall just above the center runway needs to be pushed forward and re-weld in to place to line up with the back window wall, it looks like your fiero chassis wasn't re-constructed for the body, did you do the stretch and re-enforcing? or bought it from someone like that?  Check out my photobucket page 10 I believe for more... that should geve you an ideal, as murcie and diablo are similar in that area.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »
hahaha about the same here! ::thumbup

minuteman3282

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
I don't think I'm in no hurry lol. It's been 6 yrs to get this far. Thanks!

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
Sounds good.  It's gonna be awhile yet to finish all the rear stuff. But i am chipping away steadily at them.
I will be updating my thread a bunch in the next few days so you will be able to see some progress on those parts.
keep up the good work.

minuteman3282

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »
Thanks Mike! Your a real stand up guy and I really appreciate the offer. I just literally finished reading your build diary and you have really done an outstanding job so far. I'm sitting at work now waiting on 4 to get here so I can go mock my fenders up to see what I need to do for the roof. I finished my chassis a few years ago and it's been waiting for the body to be completed to keep it warm. LOL

I will get in touch with you shortly to work something out for the missing panels that I'm needing. Thanks again!

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »
Wow what a piece of work. He told me so many BS stories, I didn't know what the heck was going on. I will hook you up with the rear parts when I get them done. ::thumbup

Mike

minuteman3282

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
Thanks guys!

Mike if I'm not mistaken Cliff was making our bodies at the same time. In reality he was only making one body and sharing the parts from it between you and myself. I remember you getting panels before me and I had already paid him in advance the year before and was wondering why I had not received any panels yet. He just did that to keep us happy and make us think we were getting our stuff. It will all work out in the end.

Again thanks guys for your input. I will def be in touch with you about my missing panels when I get the point of needing them. Thanks!

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
Yes let us know, we have all of those parts that you are missing for an OEM kit.  The rear bumper, wing and uprights Mike is working on are coming along great!
Pedro

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
Yup sounds familiar. I only paid for an exterior body. No interior, so I didn't get burned on that.
I also paid for a 670 body and received a 640. Do you have any 670 parts yet? I am working on converting the rear now and will be offering the parts when I am done. Hit Pedro (autopro) up for the front Bumper and grills.