Author Topic: Wheel spacers?  (Read 2584 times)

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
Re: Wheel spacers?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:26:25 AM »
The studs on the real car are the same thread pitch as Mercedes and BMW. They can be purchased in different lengths.

http://www.apexraceparts.com/BMW-Extended-Lug-BoltsbrSold-individually_p_123.html

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
Murci and Diablo dont use studs :)  They use bolts.

Oh! I forgot your not building a replica.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
I like this forum better than the 'other one' because you guys actually get your hands dirty... most of my constituents barely know how to add air to their tires.

::headbang

Chris

jonv8944s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Murci and Diablo dont use studs :)  They use bolts.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:07:12 PM by jonv8944s »

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
No problem. I actually seen some 8mm spacers on there as well. 8mm shouldn't be enough to need new wheel studs. If so, you will need to remove the wheel bearings to press out the old studs and press in the new ones. You'll need to know the current length, thread and spline Dia to figure out what the new stud length should be.

jonv8944s

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Awesome, thanks.  And you are 100% correct, I actually wanted 8.xx mm, which is sub 1/3 inch, but I got lazy and just said 10mm, becuase I know 8.xx mm isnt common, but 10mm is. I thank you for the information on getting them from ebay, now what about the extended bolts I will need for this setup?  Spacers were just 1 part of the issue, now I need the longer bolts to go with them.

Again, appreciate it, I like this forum better than the 'other one' because you guys actually get your hands dirty... most of my constituents barely know how to add air to their tires.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:29:14 AM »
It's slightly over 1/3 of an inch. 10mm=.393"  ::tongue
Search eBay for "5x120 wheel spacer". There's several of them for $40 or less.

jonv8944s

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 03:56:27 AM »
Only looking to do 10mm, which is less then a 1/3 of an inch.  So definitely not talking about anything aggressive, just looking to push the wheels out in the rear a very marginal amount, for looks not much else.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
Put the money for spacers towards some extended control arms. You will be much happier. As Chris pointed out, you will be wearing out suspension components from using spacers. You may save money up front but the headache and cost of replacing parts will eventually catch up with you in the long run.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
Jon,

Typically you'd be better off buying rims with the right amount of offset that would allow for a wider tire.  You can have custom wheel spacers made and running them in the rear of the car isn't as bad as running them up front.  The best analogy to use is to imagine bench pressing weights with your hands side by side in the middle of the bar instead of spreading them wide apart.  The car I bought has aftermarket rims from a Lamborghini (Lambo bolt pattern) so the previous owner decided to use 4" spacers on each side that also converted the bolt pattern.  When I drove the car on the road, at about 35MPH I thought the car was going to pull itself off the road at any moment.  I can only imagine the extra strain these put on the steering and suspension parts.

Just my opinion but I'd stay away from spacers unless they are 1" or less just to be safe.

Chris

P.S. - Did you see the rims that Swif is selling on this site?  Very affordable, Lambo bolt pattern and a choice of colors.   8)

jonv8944s

Wheel spacers?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
I realize you guys mostly know about wheel spacers for converting boltpaters, but I am curious if you guys know of any wheel spaces that are available for the murcielago, that is basically made to push the Murci wheels out further (no bolt pater change) and definitely no bolt-on spacers please (to risky for aggressive/track driving), I prefer the stud/bolt pass through type spacers.

Thanks for the help!

Jon