Author Topic: coil overs naerc  (Read 6549 times)

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
Re: coil overs naerc
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »

Graeme Stebbing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
Hi Jim, Yes I get what your saying, the shocks are Toyota Soarer Air bags and  don't have springs at all. they have a chamber at the top that acts like a reservoir of air, and a very complicated system of moving air from a reserve tank via solenoids to each of the struts as required, the system is very sophisticated for 1991 and it moves the air around depending whether you are braking, turning or accelerating, it even moves it from side to side of the car if you swerve to change lanes rapidly, to reduce body roll, as well as moving the air to the rear to prevent rear squat. The system also raises the car on gravel or rough roads. and lowers the car the faster you go.
As far as changing the mounts on the bottom I don't think getting a face full of molten metal as the gas escapes is a good choice either. The brackets are about 3mm thick so the best idea I have come up with is to find another bracket off another similar type of shock, and weld the eye from another shock onto the 3mm remains of the original bracket without heating up the bottom of the shock to much, so you don't break through the bottom to the gas charge. Guess I will just have to be very careful but I think it might be doable
Lambo

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Wouldn't the difference of axle weight factor into the different spring rates required for an optimal drive package?  or is the confines of the front suspension travel that dictates different spring rates up front?  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
Thanks Jim that makes it clear. I am trying to use the OEM Toyota air shocks in my project and they are about 630mm extended so some design changes for the top mounting points and the lower arms will be needed, the other issue I face is that the OEM shocks for the front of my donor are much harder than the rears, the fronts have an eye and the rears a u shaped mount, assuming the shocks need to be swapped front for rear so the beefy ones are in the rear for the weight of the motor, then the lower mounts will need to be swapped, which raises the question of how do you weld the swapped mounts on without loosing the nitrogen in the shocks any thoughts.
Regards
Lambo

I would not be welding the pressure chamber on a shock ever. Don't do it.
Keep the shocks/struts in their original location and experiment with stronger springs.

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 05:26:26 AM »
MM, I think the naerc widetrack is a single coil spring in the rear, right?
If it is you should be looking at a 450# to 500# spring for the rear.
Above I was merely talking about the naerc replica chassis and geometry in other setups will very widely.
If you have adjustable coilovers in the rear you should start with a 500# spring and set your ride height with that spring.

When I was trying to set things up I contacted a local hotrod shop that has springs for sale and told them my problem.
They said as long as I didn't damage the springs I could return them. Three trips and three different springs I found the combo that works great.

Murci-Me

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
I have the NAERC wide track suspension kit on my build, and even though I love the geometry (had to do a few modifications though), the coilover springs supplied with the kit are way to soft. The front isnt so bad, but the rear is way to soft, to much travel. JDinner, could you suggest a replacement spring for me that will fit?

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »
Thanks Jim that makes it clear. I am trying to use the OEM Toyota air shocks in my project and they are about 630mm extended so some design changes for the top mounting points and the lower arms will be needed, the other issue I face is that the OEM shocks for the front of my donor are much harder than the rears, the fronts have an eye and the rears a u shaped mount, assuming the shocks need to be swapped front for rear so the beefy ones are in the rear for the weight of the motor, then the lower mounts will need to be swapped, which raises the question of how do you weld the swapped mounts on without loosing the nitrogen in the shocks any thoughts.
Regards
Lambo

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »
The suspension travel on the front is about 3" total. 1" up and 2" down.
The tire was hitting the door hinge on my red roadster with the springs that the plans called for.

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Hi Jim would that setup give you 3" bump and about an inch of droop if so would an inch of droop be enough. Are you suggesting that the travel on the Nearc is not enough hence your comment
"If you decide to use the front coil springs that the plans call for make sure it is easy for you to change them later. You will".
regards
Lambo

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:32:40 AM »
The shocks are close to 10" compressed and 14" extended.
The coil springs that I used are 4 of 250# X 11" for the rear.
2 of 450# X 10" for the front.
How does your car ride with those spring rates? I'm thinking my fronts at #275 each
will be way to soft...  ::study

It rides perfect now. The suspension would crash and bang with the softer springs. Now it is smooth and has a great ride.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
How does your car ride with those spring rates? I'm thinking my fronts at #275 each will be way to soft...  ::study

fastbusa

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »
thanks jdinner for the info...That is exactly what i will use,I also ordered my haltech this week ...I think im going to use one of the racepack systems if i can find some where to make it look good in the car..I had a motech system in my last car and loved it...going to upload a few pics this weekend..thanks.

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 04:55:02 AM »

If you decide to use the front coil springs that the plans call for make sure it is easy for you to change them later. You will.

fastbusa

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
coil overs naerc
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
the book says 10 inch coilovers...does that mean relaxed or compressed or all the way out...does anyone know how much travel the shock needs...thanks