Author Topic: Am33r's Inferno Roadster  (Read 38507 times)

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
Re: Am33r's Inferno Roadster
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
I took a few pics today

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »
Thanks. I'd love to see more. :)
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
Sure Pines, here are a couple of pics I had on my phone from saturday. I will take more this weekend when I work on it again...

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
Sounds good. Any chance we could get pictures of the body mounted?
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
Thanks Transcend - not sure what you mean but I mounted it as good as my elise is mounted lol

Today was the end of the tenth week on this build  ::counfused I need a drink... I am somewhat pleased by where I am (I can now drive it around and take it in and out of the garage or to the gas station on the next block, etc.) although I lagged for a whole week, took a whole week off, and waited on parts for a whole week last month.

I got my headlight assembly ready (Awaiting the 2" chrome rings) and I chose a harness that supports all 4 lights per unit (Will figure it out this week).

I sanded the edges of both front and rear trunk hoods, and got my hinges for them (Will mount them this week)

I decided on the Wheel Well attachment design (similar to the picture shown with rods, but I will use all-thread). This will also support the plastic wheel liners and possibly mud-flaps.

I connected the door frames to the doors and connected the latches to them too (I will be hinging those too).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:10:28 PM by am33r »

Transcend

• Liked: 4
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
Thats awesome , did you screw on the inside mounting areas?

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »
Framing and Mounting the G28 Roadster Kit to a Stretched MR2-MKii. Cont.

This weekend we fully mounted the kit but made it easily removable.

Going from the front to the rear of the car:

The Front of the kit mounted to the Front Bumper with 2 screws (I could make it 4 but whatever). Next to the door hinge mounts 2 more screws (Two more available but I didn’t mount more). 4 screws on each rocker support bar.  2 inthe rocker vents.  Under the Batwings 2 horizontal forward-&-back screws each side (No need to add more). The rear-end mounted with 2 screws (This I will enforce later 'front to back' – it was easy and simply done with a sideways latter configuration that rested on the two square chassis tubes that hosted the MR2 rear bumper fittings) here’s a picture of that part. The one more part I want to enforce is a Cross Bar behind the two seats and under the two humps where they mount to it.

I drove the car and shook it and tried to break something but (: it was awesome.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:12:03 AM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
Kit-to-MR2 Filler Panels

I have combind those two interior panels into what I will address as one gap; the rocker gap cover and the side body cover.  The gap is seen in the first pic, then labled in the second, and the template I measured in the third one.

I did not make a real cardboard template like I did for the dashboard top and side conformity panels - I only measured the template properly.

Ordering mine in Sheet Metal + Black Carpet. Each side requires 72"x36" Recangle to cut the panel from.

There is one gap left between the Seats & Center Console on the bottom side, and the Kit Cross Panel on the top side - this I will leave empty as everything behind it is covered nicely with carpet from the MR2 interior.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:40:10 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »
If you are building an OEM interior then it would be worth $1000 or less. How will the airbag be functional.

I am not building an OEM interior and I don't like it lol

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »
i pad $800 for mine with out the airbag.

Transcend

• Liked: 4

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
Kit-to-MR2 Filler Panels. Cont.

Some metal on the side of the dash remains exposed after the G28 kit sits on the MR2, so for both sides it makes sense to make a continious panel that attaches to the kit to follow the contour of the side of the dashboard.

The panel can be made from a 24"x12" fiberglass and fixed onto the kit door opening area where it belongs.

Two panels are needed - not exactly symetrical - but one for each side.

(Different Subject) I updated Reply Post #31 to show the final position of the Fuel Filler opening - had to go with the advice of my helpers.  If you are following this build refer back to that post (:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:29:44 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »
Worked away from the car for a bit

Kit-to-MR2 Filler Panels

There are gaps between the kit and the Stripped MR2 body panels that need to be filled.  The areas should be measured and a template made to accommodate these spaces.

There should be 6-8 panels to cover the spaces. First is the Kit-Windshield to MR2 Dashboard panel. Here is the template I made from cardboard – it seemed perfect when I fit it on.

I’m ordering it in two layers – sheet metal & cloth carpet, made from a rectangle with the dimensions 60”x24”.  The last six inches on either side of this panel HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE on both right and left end.

The bottom curve is the native MR2 dashboard and the top curve is the Kit's bottom windshield trim curve.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:18:22 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Framing and Mounting the G28 Roadster Kit to a Stretched MR2-MKii. Cont.

So besides the the front bumper which is a native solution to the MR2, what exactly needs to be supported?

The first thing to mount should be the two rockers. They should be separately supported then a cross bar should create support behind the headrests for the entire width of the kit. That may in turn connect those two rocker supports.

The under side of the rocker horisontal plane is heigher then the MR2 current rockers, so a 2" lift was made from 1"x1" Square Tubing the length of the full MR2 door opening (44" to 48" long) PICTURED BELOW.  Then Separately, a 2"x2" Angeled Iron bar is cut at 54" to run under the rocker and the rocker gets bolted to it in two spots with the distance of the Door Sill which will be used. After that, A system of Latter 1x1 swuare tubing will connect the MR2 raised rocker to the 2x2 Angeled Iron that lifts the Kit Rocker. And that's how I think the rockers sould be mounted.

I am doing the mounting/support frame one section at a time and will show progress in separate posts, but once I'm done making the whole frame this coming weekend - I will then cover it all together in one specific post after that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:08:53 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Too hot to work on the car so I will write about what we have done this past weekend.

Framing and Mounting the G28 Roadster Kit to a Stretched MR2-MKii

I mentioned this concept is post #21 of this diary a month ago, I now see what I am doing but the idea remains exactly the same.

I bumped into a happy surprise when I realized that the best frontal frame structure is the original MR2 Bumper Crash Structure.  It is THE PERFECT DIMENTIONS & HEIGHT and it is a bolt-on.  After the kit is laid on the MR2 the metal bumper struucture can be put on from under the new kit fiberglass bumper.

It needs to be cut in the top two corners to allow the headlights to fit nicely, and the vertical lip needs to be shaved so the kit sits solid.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:00:43 PM by am33r »