Author Topic: Alternative choice of windows for my G28 Roadster Kit Car  (Read 4774 times)

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
Re: Alternative choice of windows for my G28 Roadster Kit Car
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
Butler, true as a last resort these windows are a good idea - of course better than no windows at all, and with a little more work I think they can be very functional...

HaveMurci.  I looked at these too - I think they are a bit too large to roll in all the way inside the door.  I had pics of both of the celica and the prelude with my fiberglass door card at the honda dismantler - but they are on my dead pc :(

Havemurci

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 89
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »
I heard the 86-89 Celica convertible side glass would fit becaues it has a flat top unlike the Saturn's
more rounded top. does anyone know if this is true? ::scratch
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:58:21 AM by Havemurci »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
Im not saying one way or another but my Doge Viper I had used the same windows. They worked pretty well except trying to pay Toll's and trying to open them and 90 percent of the time they weren't even on..

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »
yea put a nice tint on them also, I tinted mine myself for $30 bucks, and it looks fine.
Siteupp.com

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:07:33 AM »
Thanx man. you are right they might function but they have an out-dated/old look.

I have new lexan ones from Mark Clapp and they are great.  I can use those and make them detachable; that seems like a better idea.

I don't know if anyone will make more of these windows for future replacement - but I shouldn't think of that for the time being and just use them.  I will fit them the lexans as I make the top so they seal-up okay with it.   Thanx again - all help is appreciated

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 12:54:46 AM »
am33r I would not use those jeep windows on a LP640 Replica. Even if they were used on a cobra, what year was the cobra made, the 60's right? It just wouldn't look right. For that matter if you already have AC just put lexan windows in or Saturn windows in fixed position. anything would be better than those things, it will look horrible on these cars. murcis are very futuristic looking those outdated window flaps would not go over well. just my 2 cents, is that better ;)
Siteupp.com

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Guys…

Please…

This is a site for INFORMATION and HELP with builds.
Let's keep the responses INFORMATIVE and HELPFUL.
I don't need this window information but those who do are VERY interested and are looking for INFORMATION and HELP with their builds.
No question is uncalled for and no answer should be either.
I would hate to see "bad blood" develop here between members due to ridicule and disrespect.
If there is any information that is relevant to the topic, good or bad, please try to express that issue clearly.
We are all here to HELP one another.
Thank you.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
The canvas surround windows are used on many Cobra Roadsters - it can be a good product if made properly.  We sometimes look for alternative sources of functional parts and many things can be very useful (not the most functional under all circumstances) but work really well.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?8688-Modified-FFR-Rod-Top-with-Quarter-Windows-for-my-Mk4-Roadster

LP640 why are you laughing! what did we miss? Talon, you liked his comment.. what's going on?  At least comment with something constructive!

Here in CA I found myself using the top on my other convertible more on the hot days with the windows up & running the AC- even when just driving in town.  Any good top & removable windows will serve the purpose on these roadsters.  If made perfect then it can be functional at 60mph and be fwy worthy.  Any constructive ideas are worth perusing...

We are mounting G28 bodies to old sliced-up cars.  How's that not weirder than constructing a canvas/plastic window for such a build!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:34:33 PM by am33r »

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »

Onewickedsvt

• Liked: 18
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Please don't use that.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
Fifth Generation Honda Prelude 1997-2001 for your G28 Roadster  ::thumbup

I measured it last year when I built my roadster (I didn't use windows though).  I took the fiberglass door to the Honda dismantlers here in town and the windows are almost perfect for the size and the curve - so you could use the tracks and the motor if you want too

dratts

• Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:51:03 PM »
What year Prelude windows?  I looked at the Saturn windows previously recommended and they did not look like they would fit to me.  The door rebuild is at the top of my to do lists.  I would love to find a stock window that would work

am33r

• YOLO
Alternative choice of windows for my G28 Roadster Kit Car
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:21:56 AM »
While making a soft top for my roadster I need to make the windows that properly work with them.
The doors I got with the kit were coupe doors (I think everyone gets those) and I ended up like everyone else cutting the top fiber glass portion for a roadster look.  So, since we don’t have glass for doors I looked for a set – the set that fits best is from a Honda Prelude, and if someone wants classic rollup windows it should work perfect; it is the size and the shape needed.

However, I do not want to use glass and tracks etc. so I will be using something different.  I am thinking of making something like this – should work fine with the soft top I am making.  Any thoughts are appreciated.