Author Topic: Headlight Adjusters  (Read 2388 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Headlight Adjusters
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »
Have you had any more progress on this?  I'm working on my lights right now also.  Where did you get the springs from?

Sorry, I've not had much spare time lately and haven't been able to make any more progress on them.  I picked the springs up a couple of months ago at a swap meet and I have no idea what they was originally intended for.  :)  I picked them up since they were really stiff and I'll be able to cut them in half since only about 2 inches of tension and adjustment is needed.

Thanks,

Chris

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
Have you had any more progress on this?  I'm working on my lights right now also.  Where did you get the springs from?
Pedro

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
Excellent idea , I would like to suggest that a third mount would make it like a production headlamp by giving a reaction pivot to the other two adjusters and making the adjustment more sensitive with more adjustment range,it would normally consist of a rigid pin with a ball fitting on the end, but that is just how they do it. ::thumbup
Oooh , Red leather.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Headlight Adjusters
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
I'm taking my time on my headlights since I consider them to be a very important part of the build but also a huge safety item for myself and others.  I don't know if you've ever been blinded by someone with misaligned headlights but this is a pet peeve of mine and the fact that I'm running HID projectors increases my concern that I might blind oncoming traffic at night. 

I've seen video's where guys have bonded the projectors in place after aligning the beams on a wall which is fine, I just wanted something more practical for servicing the car down the road.  Jeff (Blkbat) and I spent some time in his shop yesterday and came up with a design that i feel is very practical but is also easy to install and provides a strong mounting point for his headlight rings that many of you bought.

The headlight ring holes are perfectly aligned and tapped on a base plate.  The headlight ring (http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=637.0) sits outside of the headlight bucket and the base plate is bonded onto the backside of the bucket with the fiberglass sandwiched in between.  Once the base plate bond has cured, the plate provides a strong threaded area for the headlight ring to attach too and everything lines up perfectly.

The projectors I'm using (http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=1278.0) have four flanges per projector housing.  Allen bolts are turned up on end and welded onto the base plate so they match the flange pattern on the projectors.  Strong springs are cut to equal lengths and slipped over the bolts and washers are added on top of the springs.  The projector flanges are slipped down over the bolts and washers are added.  Lock nuts are placed on the bolts and tightened down until the projector lens is about 1/8" from bottoming out.  The buckets are installed into the car and aligned against a wall like normal.  Minor adjustments are made (left to right / up and down) but simply tightening down the lock nuts in the corresponding order.

We are about half way done with getting everything build out and installed but I'm adding pictures of what it looks like so far.  Jeff has the program saved if anyone else is interested in these and I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out how much etc.  I'm assuming that if there is enough interest, he'll looking into having them water jetted to save time and money for everyone.

Jeff's member information http://lamboclone.com/index.php?action=profile;u=143

Chris