Author Topic: Vent Grille Mesh  (Read 13766 times)

Linlor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
Re: Vent Grille Mesh
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
Just for everyone's info.

I took bluefiero88's advice about McMaster-Carr and ordered 2 sheets pf aluminum and 1 sheet of steel hex mesh for my project.  It cost about $40 US each sheet and only $25 US to ship from Eastern US to Victoria BC Canada.  Pretty hard to get much further away from each other and stay in North America........ :)  That is by far the cheapest shipping I have ever seen for parts coming from the US.... It was overnight shipped through Purolator at ground rates and I had NO duties or brokerage to pay.

The sheets arrived about an hour ago in perfect condition so McMaster-Carr is the way to go for me from now on.  Excellent service throughout.

Cheers
Don
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:06:32 PM by Linlor »

mish022

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
hi

01Lambiero yes I agree its not only one levels

next week I suppose receive my grill , then I will be ready to answer any questions you want 

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »
I tried to replicate the LP670 mesh in ms Paint to see if there was more than one dimension and that it was not flat.  It looks like it has 3 levels like a washboard.  Mish03 will have to tell us when he gets his grilles.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:08:21 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Liked: 15
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
I  have got some killer steel hex screen thru Mcmaster carr. You have to buy a whole sheet but its the real deal. Looks just the same as what pontiac used under the fiero deck lid vents.  ::K
Paul G

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
That still looks like expanded mesh but in abs.  They don't show any straight on photos.

Don,  I might have a line on what you are looking for, drop me a line and maybe a few more specifics.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
Hang on to your mouse!!!  It's abs/plastic just like OEM?? and it's on Ebay.ca.  Must be your good fortune day.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/UNIVERSAL-3D-HONEYCOMB-ABS-PLASTIC-BLACK-MESH-GRILL-120-X-40-CM-/321205146035?

Jim
Retired

Linlor

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Mike;

That third picture looks like the stretched sheet plate that you can get at most metal supply shops.  Just clean it up and either powder coat it or paint and you will have the same look.  I need some mesh under my engine lid vents on my Ferrari 308 build and I was going to add it to under my front fender and trunk vents as well to clean up the underneath.

In Canada it is even harder to find than in the States.  I have been trying to find some of the hexagon mesh that started with the original question here in Western Canada for a few weeks now.  Nothing available here and they would have to order up from the States.  All the metal shops I talked to said that they would have to call for a quote as they don't normally stock it.  I had one shop say they ordered a sheet about 7 years ago and it cost about $300 CDN back then. 

I found a mcnicol warehouse in Seattle that will sell me a sheet for just under $100 US but it would cost me another $200+ to go get it.  Shipping up to Canada would be out of this world.  Taking the sheet from the warehouse in Seattle to the Seattle Clipper ferry shipping dock downtown Seattle was quoted at $115USD. So $215USD +tax + ferry shipping costs and duties to Canada....... I also got quotes locally for about $600 to have a sheet custom made...... Shouldn't be this hard to find hex mesh........

That third picture of the stretched sheet is looking better all the time.....

Cheers
Don

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
01Lambiero,

Do you know where to buy the honey comb mesh in the third pic down that you posted?
I am looking for some like that to build my own grills.

Thanks
Mike

mish022

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »

special thanks to 01Lambiero for helping me with the aventador grills

yesterday I made my order finally :)

now I don't have any problem with the grill

I have the OEM for the rear bumper and I can make copy of it identical for the side and front bumper 

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
You do not have to dust anything off, the temp gauge will tell you soon enough. I believe this is true whether it is a space shuttle or a replica or a semi-replica in between. Looking back at the original post here, and everything since, my one and only point was that any mesh with 1/4" holes will not flow well. And adding a bigger fan is still asking it to suck a milkshake through a straw. It also does not matter to me if it is made as an exact copy or chicken wire, just use a mesh large enough to flow, 78% is not always 78%. I learned that the hard way, just trying to pass it along. At the risk of getting my head chopped off again, I have a second suggestion. I used that reference since we were talking about chicken wire. Someone purchase one $170 Ebay grille, scan it and also reverse image the scan. Now spend a few bucks in material and 3-D print the plastic grilles. Sell a few copies at a reasonable price and make enough on this one project to pay for the $999 desktop printer. I will donate the scan time. I would do this myself but since the printer demo last week and seeing how Boeing is using this to print Titanium engine rotors, and realizing that printing a complete chassis is doable with no joints and no labor, I am focused on a larger machine. A fringe benefit is that this also solves the debate on this thread about accurate or close.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:49:19 PM by 76mx »

mish022

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
01Lambiero thanks a lot for the good links you posted

unfortunately the seller in ebay already sold the left side grill  and I don't want to buy one side and keep looking for one side :( 

if any one have the same set OEM for both side with same price please let me know by PM

thanks

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 07:46:22 AM »
So far, I have found pics of the Aventador with two different grille patterns.  One was the hexagon mesh which I posted prior in this topic.  The second is the grille pictured below.  Is this the pattern that Mish022 is looking for?  OEM $300/pair (used) on Ebay right now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMBORGHINI-AVENTADOR-SIDE-VENTILATION-GRILLS-OEM-470825327B-470825328B-SET-/261471850064?_trksid=p2054897.l5659).  OEM $170 each White Racing Products (http://www.whiteracingproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1459&products_id=942424).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:16:16 AM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »
Replica - Merriam-Webster Online
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replica
an exact or very close copy of something. Full Definition of REPLICA. 1. : an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist <a replica of this ..

If you want to do it right then I guess the conversation is valid....
 ::K

mish022

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
my friend

I did a lot of search for rear bumper grill for aventador

this one is very hard to find event the custom grill didn't have any one even close to it

so if any one can make it please send PM

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »
Are we building replicas here or the next space shuttle? Should I dust off the anemometer for a science experiment?!  ::toothy